Gaming Ocarina of Time 3DS footage

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
I've never played this game but what is so impressive here?
Am I off-base in saying the 3DS finally has PSP-level graphics?

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
foob said:

Another n00b who thinks 3DS has graphics like PSP.

Now 3DS has been announced and graphics system is more powerful than the PSP, the only thing left is to misinform about the technical capabilities of the new Nintendo handheld console. The only differential advantage was about DS (the visual) has been completely broken, and Sony has not responded to this. Honestly I am very tired of the PSP fanboys as regards the technical issue, they show you the specs of the PSP and go with the antics without taking into account that the 33 million polygons / sec are only transformations, which is not a figure given in actual game situations. All the same, you just put them in front of you, it seems PSP has infinite power.

And for your information, Ocarina of Time is the most awesome and greatest game in all history of the videogames. a remake of this game is like an orgasm.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Juanmatron said:
foob said:

I have both PSP and DS units. I don't care about fanboyism or taking sides. I look at pics and video and I ask am I off-base in considering it has PSP-level graphics.

I'm sorry. What am I supposed to be doing...worshipping something that doesn't look any better than a PSP to me, given the evidence here? You can talk statistics and specs until you're blue in the face. What's it all worth versus the results?

Perhaps the DS takes the PSP to the cleaners in the graphics department. But I don't see it.
Perhaps this is the best game on earth, but I don't see anything special in the video or the images presented here.

Am I wrong? If so, where can I find something that might impress me more?

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
foob said:
Juanmatron said:
foob said:

I have both PSP and DS units. I don't care about fanboyism or taking sides. I look at pics and video and I ask am I off-base in considering it has PSP-level graphics.

I'm sorry. What am I supposed to be doing...worshipping something that doesn't look any better than a PSP to me, given the evidence here? You can talk statistics and specs until you're blue in the face. What's it all worth versus the results?

Perhaps the DS takes the PSP to the cleaners in the graphics department. But I don't see it.
Perhaps this is the best game on earth, but I don't see anything special in the video or the images presented here.

Am I wrong? If so, where can I find something that might impress me more?

You only see Kid Icarus uh? Who said that game will explode technical power of the console?

Please, see Resident Evil: Reveletions and Metal Gear 3DS and shut up.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Juanmatron said:
You only see Kid Icarus uh? Who said that game will explode technical power of the console?

Please, see Resident Evil: Reveletions and Metal Gear 3DS and shut up.

Why are you offended at my statements? Any particular reason?
Am I ignorant for suggesting PSP-level graphics here?

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a Nintendo 64, they don't need to try and make the graphics super amazing greatest graphics in the world. The game has already proven itself, they are updating it slightly and releasing it with 3D on a portable console, I don't think anyone here was drooling over the graphics saying they are anything special. This is one of the first games we have seen for the 3DS and based on that you're going to just say "the 3ds only has PSP graphics"?

And anyone who bases an opinion of a game console or game solely on graphics is a tool anyway.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Lunatics said:
This is one of the first games we have seen for the 3DS and based on that you're going to just say "the 3ds only has PSP graphics"?

And anyone who bases an opinion of a game console or game solely on graphics is a tool anyway.

Right but wasn't this thread primarily about graphics and not gameplay? So is it fair to assume some comments on graphics and not a debate of gameplay versus graphics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D92S9unF88
I didn't know it was this good. Assuming that will be real gameplay.

That is indeed impressive. Looking at the video and pics here didn't excite me at all.

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say it was more about showing off what footage there was of the game so far. Were graphics a part of it? Yes, but it was about how they updated the graphics. Did they update the graphics? Yes, they are significantly better than the N64 which is what this was about, the updated graphics. Coming in bashing the 3DS as a whole because one games graphics is comparable to PSP is just stupid, especially since the system isn't even out yet and these are 30 second clips from the side with multiple images which doesn't allow you to even fully see it.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Juanmatron you need to calm down and start being less aggressive. It's not hard to discuss something like this without flying off the handle.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Lunatics said:
Coming in bashing the 3DS as a whole because one games graphics is comparable to PSP is just stupid, especially since the system isn't even out yet and these are 30 second clips from the side with multiple images which doesn't allow you to even fully see it.

This is considered bashing the 3DS as a whole, to you?

So you agree this is PSP-level graphics? A simple response like "this doesn't really show what the 3DS is capable of" would have set me straight. No, instead I get called names by what I can only class as adolescents for speaking the truth of what I see here
smile.gif

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I called you any names, I'm just saying that trying to base the graphics of the system off of the few 30 second clips of pre release games is stupid, let alone when they have the 3d on and you can barely even see the picture in them.

I'm not saying that it's not psp level graphics in this particular game, but it's a Nintendo 64 game and you can only improve N64 graphics so much without redoing everything, and all this is is a port with updated graphics and 3d so it sure isn't a game to base the 3DS off of. I don't think anything at all can accurately be said about it (whether good or bad) until the system is released and people actually have it in their hands to play since this system is so dependent on your POV and only yours, anything else will make it look like shit.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Lunatics said:
I don't think I called you any names, I'm just saying that trying to base the graphics of the system off of the few 30 second clips of pre release games is stupid, let alone when they have the 3d on and you can barely even see the picture in them.

I'm not saying that it's not psp level graphics in this particular game, but it's a Nintendo 64 game and you can only improve N64 graphics so much without redoing everything, and all this is is a port with updated graphics and 3d so it sure isn't a game to base the 3DS off of. I don't think anything at all can accurately be said about it (whether good or bad) until the system is released and people actually have it in their hands to play since this system is so dependent on your POV and only yours, anything else will make it look like shit.

From a 3d perspective it depends on your point of view, I guess. But not in the general graphics department. The 3D can be considered icing on the graphics cake (at least to me).

I wasn't suggesting you called me names, by the way. Others did, though
smile.gif

I agree the graphics need more than these teasers to judge the power of the system, but my comments were specifically about what I was seeing in this thread which some people were seemingly impressed by. I guess a lot of it is down to nostalgia of the game itself rather than graphics.

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
Juanmatron you need to calm down and start being less aggressive. It's not hard to discuss something like this without flying off the handle.

Yeah I´m sorry, but I hate listen people talk about the power of a hardware, comparing it with an old hardware, when they don´t know the specs of the criticized hardware.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Lunatics said:
but it's a Nintendo 64 game and you can only improve N64 graphics so much without redoing everything, and all this is is a port with updated graphics and 3d so it sure isn't a game to base the 3DS off of

First, let me say that you're right - that's why we call it speculation. We don't have any idea what it can accomplish, and it might not even be done yet (Oh, Ninty!), but don't rain on everyone's parade.
rock_band.png

Secondly, I don't think you know what you're talking about. They are redoing everything in terms of code - to use the source code would be more difficult. They can improve the graphics all they want - I could make a port of the nes Super Mario Bros to the 360 in full HD mind-blowing graphics if I wanted to (and knew what devkits were available for 360...if any?).

Masterpaul

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
40 MILLION AT 100 MHZ thats the 2008 version, they might be using an updated modified version that pushes the pollycount even higher.

Mobile phones are clocked at 1ghz at some have reasonably good batteries. The PSP can last 6 hours running 330 mhz, and sony never really, has been good at battery life.

This thing running at 100 mhz pushes more then the psp and gamecube. At 300 mhz it pushes more then xbox and wii. Its really powerfull.

I got a feeling nintendo might be using this company in the next home console.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The visual fidelity of 3DS games is quite varied. There are a lot of games with a lot of different kinds of graphics. Quality included. Here's a kind of guide based on my own perception-

-Zelda OOT 3DS- about Dreamcast/early PS2 level graphics (the Link model is actually comparable to his Melee one though), subject to intense change, very early version
-Kid Icarus Uprising- firmly in the Gamecube/Wii level
-Kingdom Hearts 3D- probably about GC/Wii level (models and environments comparable to the PS2 games, but far smoother and richer in detail
-Super Street Fighter 4 3D- Wii level in terms of polygon count, but with modern shaders comparable in visuals to those seen in the PS3/360/PC versions
-Resident Evil Revelations- Wii level in polygon count, but otherwise the game actually looks identical to Resident Evil 5, lighting/animation/textures/etc
-Metal Gear Solid 3D- about the same sort of judgment as RE:R. Wii level character models but details are similar to MGS4
-Nintendogs+Cats- here's where there's very little change from DS. Models look about the same, but smoother and higher resolution. Animals now have fur. Probably early Dreamcast level or a bit better
-Mario Kart 3D- looks about the same as the Gamecube or Wii version, so there's the answer
-Starfox 64 3D- about Gamecube level
-Animal Crossing 3D- hard to tell, these games always look similar, looks similar to the Wii version, but since they never push the systems very much, i'd say Dreamcast level...
-Paper Mario- very much the same as the GC/Wii PM games, they never pushed the systems hard though, probably about Dreamcast level if you consider that

I'd say there are no games on the system shown yet (at least no 3D games) that would work on a lesser system than the Dreamcast. All of the games shown are much smoother than PSP games as well and don't seem to suffer from the system's grainy and pixelated textures. We've had confirmation from big name developers that the system is about on par with the Wii graphically (Miyamoto). And some games can take advantage of shaders that exceed even that. But for all intents and purposes, the system has some games that really don't take much advantage of its true power. So that's why you might say it has PSP visuals when looking at only a single game. But there are games that push the system hard, just look at Resident Evil Revelations or Metal Gear Solid 3D. Both games are even better looking than Wii games.

I can't stress enough though that Zelda is VERY early in development. The game will most likely look far better when it releases. I think it would be foolish to say even at this stage though that it doesn't look any better than the N64 version (it does, i can give you reasons too).

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Masterpaul said:
40 MILLION AT 100 MHZ thats the 2008 version, they might be using an updated modified version that pushes the pollycount even higher.

Mobile phones are clocked at 1ghz at some have reasonably good batteries. The PSP can last 6 hours running 330 mhz, and sony never really, has been good at battery life.

This thing running at 100 mhz pushes more then the psp and gamecube. At 300 mhz it pushes more then xbox and wii. Its really powerfull.

I got a feeling nintendo might be using this company in the next home console.

My analist powers:

20100726_00028.jpg

says:

2yw6alt.jpg

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
granville said:
The visual fidelity of 3DS games is quite varied. There are a lot of games with a lot of different kinds of graphics. Quality included. Here's a kind of guide based on my own perception-

-Zelda OOT 3DS- about Dreamcast/early PS2 level graphics (the Link model is actually comparable to his Melee one though), subject to intense change, very early version
-Kid Icarus Uprising- firmly in the Gamecube/Wii level
-Kingdom Hearts 3D- probably about GC/Wii level (models and environments comparable to the PS2 games, but far smoother and richer in detail
-Super Street Fighter 4 3D- Wii level in terms of polygon count, but with modern shaders comparable in visuals to those seen in the PS3/360/PC versions
-Resident Evil Revelations- Wii level in polygon count, but otherwise the game actually looks identical to Resident Evil 5, lighting/animation/textures/etc
-Metal Gear Solid 3D- about the same sort of judgment as RE:R. Wii level character models but details are similar to MGS4
-Nintendogs+Cats- here's where there's very little change from DS. Models look about the same, but smoother and higher resolution. Animals now have fur. Probably early Dreamcast level or a bit better
-Mario Kart 3D- looks about the same as the Gamecube or Wii version, so there's the answer
-Starfox 64 3D- about Gamecube level
-Animal Crossing 3D- hard to tell, these games always look similar, looks similar to the Wii version, but since they never push the systems very much, i'd say Dreamcast level...
-Paper Mario- very much the same as the GC/Wii PM games, they never pushed the systems hard though, probably about Dreamcast level if you consider that

I'd say there are no games on the system shown yet (at least no 3D games) that would work on a lesser system than the Dreamcast. All of the games shown are much smoother than PSP games as well and don't seem to suffer from the system's grainy and pixelated textures. We've had confirmation from big name developers that the system is about on par with the Wii graphically (Miyamoto). And some games can take advantage of shaders that exceed even that. But for all intents and purposes, the system has some games that really don't take much advantage of its true power. So that's why you might say it has PSP visuals when looking at only a single game. But there are games that push the system hard, just look at Resident Evil Revelations or Metal Gear Solid 3D. Both games are even better looking than Wii games.

I can't stress enough though that Zelda is VERY early in development. The game will most likely look far better when it releases. I think it would be foolish to say even at this stage though that it doesn't look any better than the N64 version (it does, i can give you reasons too).
I'd just like to say, I love your posts lol...They're always full of good info.

Anyway, this Zelda game is gonna awesome! I didn't really like the DS ones because of the touch screen controls. I played all the way through Phantom Hourglass, but I couldn't do it with Spirit Tracks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Meth cake lol