Oculess is a new program that lets you use your Quest 2 without a Facebook or Oculus account

When Facebook suffered massive outages earlier this week, it rendered anyone with an Oculus Quest headset unable to play any of their games, as connection to Facebook is mandatory. Enter Oculess, a new sideloadable tool that lets you unlink your headset from your Facebook or Oculus accounts and still use it. In order to sideload anything on the device, you'll need to access Developer Mode, which can be done by giving a phone number or payment details (you won't be charged) to Facebook for verification.

Unlinking the accounts has the side effect of preventing the use of official Oculus apps, such as the Oculus Store or Browser, but the creator of Oculess has created a handy list of alternatives you can use to replace the disabled features. Most importantly, however, is that the hand tracking isn't affected by the removal of Facebook accounts, so games should still run just fine.

:arrow: Oculess GitHub page

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Amazing, but is the creator of this safe? I feel like FB is gonna be out for blood soon.
I don't think they have any legal grounds for going after him considering him and everyone using this own the device and are allowed to do what they want with it. Same reason you can't get in trouble for rooting your phone, or providing a root method to others.

Reactions: Xzi and leerpsp

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Xzi,

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I don't think they have any legal grounds for going after him considering him and everyone using this own the device and are allowed to do what they want with it. Same reason you can't get in trouble for rooting your phone, or providing a root method to others.

I don't think that matters, they would still probably pursue him with some sort of legal reason whether they would win or not. Sometimes a threat of a case is enough to discourage someone.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I didn't think a "Facebook fanboy" would even be a thing. Zuckerberg is so fucking creepy, I cannot imagine anyone simping for him.
believe me i saw one simping for facebook some news posts earlier, can't remember which one sadly, maybe re4 remake? nice signature btw.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still not sure what convinced them they could pull of DRM of this nature, though I suppose they had to do it from the start.

Always glad to see a bypass for such things.

Also had missed the unfollow everything saga... Wow.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't think that matters, they would still probably pursue him with some sort of legal reason whether they would win or not. Sometimes a threat of a case is enough to discourage someone.
True. Well, it's open source and now that it's out in the wild, even if they get a C&D and choose to take it down, somebody else can continue keeping it updated. As much as Facebook may want it to be gone it'll be hard to get rid of it.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
access to developer features becoming more convoluted in 5...4...3...

Guess what? I've been banned more times this year than unbanned. All 30 day bans.
I've never tried the headset during a ban so I might give it a go and see what happens.

All I post is proof, truth pics and videos from professionals which other social media sites dont have a problem with but its against fakebooks agenda so its an instant ban for 30 days. They are the only social media site thats not social.

If I remember I'll come back here and tell you how it went. Its 3:30am currently and I dont feel like having a VR headache this time of night.
Maybe tomorrow after my night of insomnia is finished.

mind posting a few of these 'truth pics' because I feel like people're gonna find them hilarious

Reactions: Sir Tortoise

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BMBF won't work on this. Not worth it
it wont work cause Beatsaber wont work, BMBF itself shouldnt in theory, be relying on App Entitlement checks. but same cause of BMBF (and thus Beatsaber) and Virtual Desktop (last time i tried ALVR, it ran far worse than i ever did w/ early Virtual Desktop) and because of this strange itty biity (slight but noticable) Delay be it Airlink/"VD"/Oculus Link[USB]/ALVR etc, i cant just switch to PC-Beatsaber (despite i have it. and grabed it for co-op play w/ a friend that hates Oculus/FB with a burning passion.)

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
it wont work cause Beatsaber wont work, BMBF itself shouldnt in theory, be relying on App Entitlement checks. but same cause of BMBF (and thus Beatsaber) and Virtual Desktop (last time i tried ALVR, it ran far worse than i ever did w/ early Virtual Desktop) and because of this strange itty biity (slight but noticable) Delay be it Airlink/"VD"/Oculus Link[USB]/ALVR etc, i cant just switch to PC-Beatsaber (despite i have it. and grabed it for co-op play w/ a friend that hates Oculus/FB with a burning passion.)
Doesn't BMBF use Oculus TV?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER