Hacking Odds of damaging EZ Flash Reform PCB

GameBoyColor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently swapped the PCB of my EZ Flash Reform, and after doing so I realized I (stupidly) took no precautions of protecting against static discharge.

It still works perfectly fine though.

But I’m a little paranoid, so I’d like to ask: for someone who knows more about electronics than me, what are the odds that I could have damaged my flashcart? I’m worried that I could have shocked it without feeling it, and I won’t know until later when something fails as a result. I’m probably being overly paranoid, but I’d hate for it to slowly fail, since I know how hard it can be to find good GBA Flashcarts after they’ve been out for a while.

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently swapped the PCB of my EZ Flash Reform, and after doing so I realized I (stupidly) took no precautions of protecting against static discharge.

It still works perfectly fine though.

But I’m a little paranoid, so I’d like to ask: for someone who knows more about electronics than me, what are the odds that I could have damaged my flashcart? I’m worried that I could have shocked it without feeling it, and I won’t know until later when something fails as a result. I’m probably being overly paranoid, but I’d hate for it to slowly fail, since I know how hard it can be to find good GBA Flashcarts after they’ve been out for a while.

Odds are slim. Ran an IT department for years. Never knew a tech who used those silly ground yourself bracelets. No need for precautions, just don't go out of your way to try and zap it.

GameBoyColor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odds are slim. Ran an IT department for years. Never knew a tech who used those silly ground yourself bracelets. No need for precautions, just don't go out of your way to try and zap it.

Okay, thanks for answering. Assuming I did somehow shock it though, is something like a GBA Flashcart simple enough that I’d know quickly whether or not something was affected?

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thanks for answering. Assuming I did somehow shock it though, is something like a GBA Flashcart simple enough that I’d know quickly whether or not something was affected?

If you shocked it, it would stop working. Not much risk of that though unless you are working on it with a shag carpet and attempting to play with cats while working on it.

Reactions: GameBoyColor
D

Deleted-355425

I wouldn't worry about it, slim to none if you ask me... ive never uncounted this problem.

Bazahazano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You only really need to worry about that when handling the individual components before soldering to the PCB.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, That's when Victor invented the Rusty Trombone!