• Total voters

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have been playing my DS mainly and my PC when I am at home (which as my cards are directx9 I guess makes it last gen).
I agree the 360 has an edge in games but nothing that has really stood out for me.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
PS3 is the only console that's really next-gen. The 360 already is pretty much current-gen (to the fanboys: this does not equal bad) and the Wii fills a category of its own.

How so Don Andy? The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 are practically equal in hardware capability (in some ways the 360 exceeds the PS3, and vice versa). So I'm not sure what you mean by your comment. Unless of course you're talking about the next-gen format it runs. Which is so next-gen that I personally believe they shouldn't have put it in a console until the next next-gen era (IE the PS4, to clarify). Although I do agree the Wii is in a category of its own.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wii is in 'teh suck' category

laugh.gif

Just kidding

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
PS3 is the only console that's really next-gen. The 360 already is pretty much current-gen (to the fanboys: this does not equal bad) and the Wii fills a category of its own.

How so Don Andy? The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 are practically equal in hardware capability (in some ways the 360 exceeds the PS3, and vice versa). So I'm not sure what you mean by your comment. Unless of course you're talking about the next-gen format it runs. Which is so next-gen that I personally believe they shouldn't have put it in a console until the next next-gen era (IE the PS4, to clarify). Although I do agree the Wii is in a category of its own.

The Blu-Ray Format is the reason the PS3 is doing as good as it is. Anybody who says the PS3 is doing bad is crazy since the PS2 had the same start. And the PS1 after 1 year was 4 mil behind in sales compared to the PS3

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The Blu-Ray Format is the reason the PS3 is doing as good as it is. Anybody who says the PS3 is doing bad is crazy since the PS2 had the same start. And the PS1 after 1 year was 4 mil behind in sales compared to the PS3

That wasn't what I was saying. Although the Blu-ray functionality is what jacks up the price. But no, what I was saying is that I believe that blu-ray is too early. We as gamers don't need it yet. And the PS3 is notorious for loading games slower because the blu-ray functionality hasn't been perfected yet. On the next consoles I think it would make perfect sense to use the HD-DVD or Blu-ray format (one or the other), but right now DVD, in my eyes, is good enough. Because DVD, loading, playback, functionality, it's all been perfected. I don't mind playing games on 2 DVD discs instead of 1 Blu-ray disc. Anywho, my point wasn't that Blu-ray was bad, or anything like that, my point was that I personally feel it came too soon.
smile.gif

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

That wasn't what I was saying. Although the Blu-ray functionality is what jacks up the price. But no, what I was saying is that I believe that blu-ray is too early. We as gamers don't need it yet. And the PS3 is notorious for loading games slower because the blu-ray functionality hasn't been perfected yet. On the next consoles I think it would make perfect sense to use the HD-DVD or Blu-ray format (one or the other), but right now DVD, in my eyes, is good enough. Because DVD, loading, playback, functionality, it's all been perfected. I don't mind playing games on 2 DVD discs instead of 1 Blu-ray disc. Anywho, my point wasn't that Blu-ray was bad, or anything like that, my point was that I personally feel it came too soon.
smile.gif

Sorry you feel that way because with blu-ray the developers don't have to worry about compressing since it's pretty much guaranteed to fit there. Not to mention The PS3 caches onto the hdd for the load times so that's not a problem. DVD is gonna be an out dated format anyway. With blu-ray sony is future proofing. In 2010 for example when games are even bigger than now I'm positive the PS3 will gain a lot of exclusives since they will not be able to make the game fit onto a DVD9 for the 360 or DVD5 for the Wii.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France

smile.gif

Sorry you feel that way because with blu-ray the developers don't have to worry about compressing since it's pretty much guaranteed to fit there. Not to mention The PS3 caches onto the hdd for the load times so that's not a problem. DVD is gonna be an out dated format anyway. With blu-ray sony is future proofing. In 2010 for example when games are even bigger than now I'm positive the PS3 will gain a lot of exclusives since they will not be able to make the game fit onto a DVD9 for the 360 or DVD5 for the Wii.

Yes, but by then, the WiiWii will have better graphic capabilities than the PS3, AND it will cost 250 USD.
There's a reason why we call it "the early adopter tax".

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I wasn't saying it wasn't useful, just that I think it's too early to put any bets on any high definition video format. If (this is just an if, don't freak out, Ze
tongue.gif
)... IF Blu-ray were to lose the format war, your PS3 will essentially become useless. Which is why I would rather see it in the next set of consoles, when we have a clear winner in that format war. There is no clear winner until one format stops being produced, no matter how likely it is that one format may beat the other. Also, like I mentioned before, I'd prefer to see Blu-ray in a console once it's perfected. It takes a time on the market to create drives that have the kinks worked out, and load data quicker.

Switching gears here, developers don't mind putting data on multiple DVDs. It's not a deal breaker in the least. Final Fantasy VII was on multiple discs back in the day, and it's one of the most popular games of all-time. And your theory about compressing files is meaningless, as it has been proven that up to this point in time the compressed game data on a DVD for the Xbox 360 runs better visually and loading-wise than the uncompressed data on Blu-ray game discs for the PS3, for multi-platform titles. That could change in the future, but compressed data spread over multiple discs has been shown to work perfectly, sell, and outshine the competition.

Blu-ray is a matter of convenience when it comes to video games. It comes down to if you mind switching discs at some point while playing a game, and I for one don't mind at all. I'd rather play a game on multiple discs that loads quicker, and has proven technology that's guaranteed to survive... over a new technology that takes longer to load and could (I'm not saying will, so again, don't snap at me) lose the format war. Which is why I look forward to next-gen HD video formats in 5 or 6 years, but as of now it's too much of a financial gamble to put your money into a not-so perfected format that could potentially be extinct next week.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I can't tell, since I only own a Wii and haven't played enough X360 or PS3 to make an accurate decision...
all I know is that the Wii is totally underwhelming and far below my expectations (both graphic-wise and control-wise), all the good games got delayed for months (remember, Metroid Prime 3 was supposed to be a launch title and SMG was supposed to be released in the first quarter of 2007), no developer is actually putting any effort into their motion sensing controls, Nintendo's new lineup of non-games is a kick into every gamer's nuts and both the Wii and the Wii Remote are overpriced (come on, $250 for a pimped GameCube?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I found it funny cause many many years ago, had a roommate in college that did this same dumbass...