Hacking OLED switch mod chip

laird1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I recently got my hands on an OLED switch which I am thinking about modding. I have read a couple posts and watched some videos, and it seems within my capabilities to perform this mod. I could not find a recent post talking about which mod chip to use on an OLED switch and so I come with some questions:
1. As of now, what would be the recommended mod chip to use for hacking an OLED switch?
2. Anyone can DM about where to find chip vendors, I searched on aliexpress but the issue is I do not know which chip I am looking for
3. I've done snooping on this forum and via youtube videos, it seems that at the very least I know people are using the picofly rp2040 chips over the hwfly. These are all foreign terms to me, but on the aliexpress search I did, I had a lot of variants of the rp2040 chip come up, and again not sure which specific one for an OLED switch.
4. I have a hacked v1 switch (software) and I know that cfw is installed to emmc or nand (emmc in my case). As for the mod chip itself, what does it really do? If my intuition is correct, it is just enabling the RCM mode right? And then rest step is the same as a normal software mod? Sorry if this is a basic question.

laird1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Chip flavors are V1/V2/lite/oled

... there's also the Instinct chips.
Sorry could you elaborate? Are you referring to the picofly rp2040 chip? I am looking at this page, would you say this is the correct chip for my situation? What is the instinct chip? Any difference from the rp2040 one?
1702590648836.png

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry could you elaborate? Are you referring to the picofly rp2040 chip? I am looking at this page, would you say this is the correct chip for my situation? What is the instinct chip? Any difference from the rp2040 one?View attachment 408791

You can use Hwfly V4/V5 OLED, Instinct NX V6, RP2040 OLED or Picofly, the one in the picture is RP2040.

laird1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can use Hwfly V4/V5 OLED, Instinct NX V6, RP2040 OLED or Picofly, the one in the picture is RP2040.
Hey thank you for that information. Since I am not seeing any documentation from that seller on that specific chip in the image, I have opted to look at a different shop. I found a chip that is identical to the one in a video tutorial which I am going to try to follow, it looks like this:
1702591150788.png

so clearly a lot different from the image I posted earlier. However I have a high confidence level that I can install this one as the video is very detailed with which points are to be soldered. Interestingly, I never see the USB C connector being used in the video though. Anyway, I am probably going to go with the chip from this picture, unless someone wants to tip me off that I am about to make a mistake... thanks :)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey thank you for that information. Since I am not seeing any documentation from that seller on that specific chip in the image, I have opted to look at a different shop. I found a chip that is identical to the one in a video tutorial which I am going to try to follow, it looks like this:
View attachment 408792
so clearly a lot different from the image I posted earlier. However I have a high confidence level that I can install this one as the video is very detailed with which points are to be soldered. Interestingly, I never see the USB C connector being used in the video though. Anyway, I am probably going to go with the chip from this picture, unless someone wants to tip me off that I am about to make a mistake... thanks :)

That is an OLED chip but if you going to get a RP2040 may as well go for the Instinct NX V6 Black.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry could you elaborate? Are you referring to the picofly rp2040 chip? I am looking at this page, would you say this is the correct chip for my situation? What is the instinct chip? Any difference from the rp2040 one?View attachment 408791

That look like it is an Instinct NX V6.

laird1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That is an OLED chip but if you going to get a RP2040 may as well go for the Instinct NX V6 Black.

That look like it is an Instinct NX V6.
Is there an advantage of the instinct NX v6 black chip over the one I am thinking of buying? The only thing is I would be worried about how much support I might have with regards to installing that instinct chip, since I did not see a video on it or good documentation anywhere. I am trying to maximize my rate of success here, unless the instinct one has a big advantage over the OLED chip. So I am starting to understand, rp2040 just means there is an raspberry pi IC on the board, and these picofly, hwfly, instinct must just be different manufacturers of the board holding the pi?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there an advantage of the instinct NX v6 black chip over the one I am thinking of buying? The only thing is I would be worried about how much support I might have with regards to installing that instinct chip, since I did not see a video on it or good documentation anywhere. I am trying to maximize my rate of success here, unless the instinct one has a big advantage over the OLED chip. So I am starting to understand, rp2040 just means there is an raspberry pi IC on the board, and these picofly, hwfly, instinct must just be different manufacturers of the board holding the pi?

The picture you shown looks like an instinct NX, but if you are going to go with an instinct NX, go with the black one, as for OLED chip obviously older Hwfly chip are better, I have two OLED modded switches one with Hwfly V4 and one with Instinct NX V6 Black, can't says too much about RP2040 Hwfly, but there have been some problem with people unit NAND corrupting.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/instinct-nx-chip.628676/

Reactions: laird1 and BigOnYa

laird1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
By the way, you are talking about the second image when you say black instinctnx right? So that is the one I was about to go with

laird1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
got it, going to go with first one black ver. thanks

Final question: I see there is a black instinct NX V6 and a V6S, which one should I get?
1702594319231.png
1702594350508.png

rull_bull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
4: no modchips and rcm bug works totally different.
Modchip does not activate rcm.

a simplified explantion is that the modchip glitch the cpu during the boot phase and then inject a small piece of code that directs to the sd card where you have a payload file wich boots hekate/atmos or whatever you want to load.

pr0cesor

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
a simplified explantion is that the modchip glitch the cpu during the boot phase and then inject a small piece of code that directs to the sd card where you have a payload file wich boots hekate/atmos or whatever you want to load.

Hello, I just joined the forum and also interested in modding my OLED. This is a nice explanation for a newby like me to understand what it does. Nice, thanks

Reactions: BigOnYa

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country
got it, going to go with first one black ver. thanks

Final question: I see there is a black instinct NX V6 and a V6S, which one should I get?View attachment 408798View attachment 408799
Dunno if you've pulled the trigger already but go for the latter as it supposedly improves training time and allows flashing the chip without direct access to the board (through the console's port. The former isn't actually Instinct NX, but is a Picofly based chip for the OLED. Theres no harm in the Picofly either though, your choice as the end result is the same.

Reactions: BigOnYa

laird1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dunno if you've pulled the trigger already but go for the latter as it supposedly improves training time and allows flashing the chip without direct access to the board (through the console's port. The former isn't actually Instinct NX, but is a Picofly based chip for the OLED. Theres no harm in the Picofly either though, your choice as the end result is the same.
I am a bit confused. The latter means the picture on the bottom which says picofly oled support v1/v2/oled/lite model right? I actually bought the one labled Instinct-nx-oled v6s black... It is very confusing xD

Edit: sorry I am drunk, I know what you mean by the latter now (as in the V6S - which is the one I got btw) Yes now it all makes sense why the picofly one says "picofly" within the image

Last edited by laird1,

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country
I am a bit confused. The latter means the picture on the bottom which says picofly oled support v1/v2/oled/lite model right? I actually bought the one labled Instinct-nx-oled v6s black... It is very confusing xD

Edit: sorry I am drunk, I know what you mean by the latter now (as in the V6S - which is the one I got btw) Yes now it all makes sense why the picofly one says "picofly" within the image
Sorry it didn't help that the order of your pics and your text didn't line up, but yes glad you got what I meant :)

Reactions: laird1

eddz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've installed both Picofly OLED and Instinct NX V6 (black) on OLED. They both worked fine for me and the installation was the same. If I had to choose I would go for the Instinct NX as it boots faster than the Pico, but only by a couple of seconds. I bought them both from Aliexpress but these shops selling them run out of stock and new listings pop up all the time. Your best bet would be to message a seller and ask them.

EDIT: Maybe I should read your recent reply before replying... ha! Good that you got the v6s. Be careful when installing. My advice to you is to make sure you have good tools for the job. Get good flux too. I nearly botched one of the installs because I was using a terrible iron tip and my flux was cheapo.

Reactions: laird1 and BigOnYa

laird1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've installed both Picofly OLED and Instinct NX V6 (black) on OLED. They both worked fine for me and the installation was the same. If I had to choose I would go for the Instinct NX as it boots faster than the Pico, but only by a couple of seconds. I bought them both from Aliexpress but these shops selling them run out of stock and new listings pop up all the time. Your best bet would be to message a seller and ask them.

EDIT: Maybe I should read your recent reply before replying... ha! Good that you got the v6s. Be careful when installing. My advice to you is to make sure you have good tools for the job. Get good flux too. I nearly botched one of the installs because I was using a terrible iron tip and my flux was cheapo.
thank you for that advice, will be careful when soldering... dont want to burn off any contacts

ul7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I have a few questions after reading so much different information online and being confused.
I have a Nintendo Switch OLED running the 16.0.3 update.
What other information do I need, in order to understand what options I have for modding?
Some goals I have would be to OC/UV the Switch on some of the Zelda games.
I recently bought a jig that's coming in tomorrow to see if I can even boot into RCM (following the homebrew wiki guide).
Am I missing something here?
If someone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.
Is hardware modding the only option and if so, what outlets are preferred by the community?
As far the soldering skills, that's a non-issue and a risk I can accept, provided there are solid guides with pictures/videos.
I've got most of the necessary tools and components needed for that part.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty