Not open for further replies.

caipora

cheese eating lactose intolerant
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Watching movies as a kid i would always notice that the kids on school scenarios never wrote with cursive letter, but rather with print letter (it took me a while to figure out how exactly this kind of handwritting is called), That was really weird, i used to think that it was a movie thing, maybe the character didn't really wrote that and it was really printed on paper and/or it was like that so the telespectator could read without much trouble, and this theory really made sense to me and i carried on because of course they write cursive in real life.
That theory started to fade away when i got Diary of a Wimpy Kid on my hands, at somepoint, in one of the books, Greg says that his cursive handwritting assistant (something on this tone) wouldn't do his essays anymore or moved out, something like this, thing is he said that he couldn't write in cursive and one of his teachers wouldn't accept his essays written in print letter. "Wait hold on but this isn't a mov-- there's no way, that's impossible", i was really questioning my own reality like shit, other cultures have different ways of writting too??? What the fuck.

Around here, since kindergarten, we learn to write with cursive letters. We'd use notebooks like this to exercise our handwritting:
02.png

Have you guys ever used this?
My handwriting for a long time sucked ass, it started to get better around two years ago, i had times where i tried to switch to print letter so it would look less ugly, but it just got even uglier, so i switched back.
I had this one friend on 1st year of elementary school who couldn't write with cursive, so he would just write with print letter. Our teacher noticed it and explained to him why he should start to write with cursive; because is more elegant, because we would write faster etc etc, and so he spent most of the month's Portuguese class exercising his handwritting in pages and more pages like the one above.

I noticed that my brother have a mix of print and cursive, and he said that some of his friends also write with print letter. I found it funny because it seems that teachers are caring less and less on the aesthetic and focusing more on the content and absorption of the student... or maybe they just don't care enough to pay attention to this. On the other hand, since i got in middle school a bunch of kids - primally girls - started with the lettering thing, where they make those huge, pretty cursive letters on top of the page to get their attentions when looking for notes and overall beauty. I always found this pretty cool.

I've seen some boomers making fun of millenials and gen z's for their handwritting, which is generally not cursive it seems. Shit is funny.

How's your relationship with handwritting? Do you use cursive or print? Do you speak a language that it's kinda of inefficient to write with cursive letters? Imma leave a picture of my notebook with a phrase and a few words written both in english and portuguese, my main language. Post it too let's see these bad boys.

Kinda shady but here it is:
RHUrn7QyphNB.jpg

I really like when there's two Ts in english, so i can cross both of them with one single line, and like the "ção" in portuguese. Handwritting is cool.
(The words written in portuguese and english does not have any correlation, except fot the phrases which are basically the same)

Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have had the threads in the past
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-bad-is-your-handwriting.450338/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/about-handwriting.583622/

UK wise they tend to do print for a few years (probably year 3 they start going away), though cursive tends to be called joined up letters instead for the younger ones.
Teachers claim to prefer to get things in cursive but ultimately if it gets there it gets there and all is good, computers and a4 printers (as opposed to dot matrix) were a thing by then as well*. I actually had more trouble for my tendency to write in pencil (slows me do just enough that it makes it worthwhile, my only other option being to spend all my pocket money on berol handwriting pens which run out of ink every 5 minutes it seems and are the only thing that works) than anybody that ever did not do it got moaned at for.

*indeed they were such a thing when I went back for some postgrad stuff I had not written by hand for more than cooking notes and such in years. 3 hours of essay writing later my hand wanted to fall off.

Of course if you want to get really fun look up ending of Arabic words and sentences when handwritten.

Reactions: emcintosh

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The very few times I have to handwrite anything in 2023 I don't bother using cursive (beyond my signature), since for me my style of writing in print is just quicker, and if I'm handwriting anything for whatever reason these days at most it'll be model numbers or something along those lines which you can't really use cursive for anyways.

Personally I think it's irrelevant what style you write in, just because it really makes no difference whatsoever in the real world as long as the message is successfully conveyed. When I was a kid it was drilled into me that if I don't learn or use cursive writing I'll never get a decent job or succeed in any "adult world" activity, yet here I am almost never using it without issue so I don't really see the point. It may have mattered 30 years ago when we didn't have computers in the palms of our hand, but these days...

caipora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nah these are too old
berol handwriting pens
I had to Google these and they seems to be pretty good. I usually only use normal ball point pens, but i'm really pick the widht of the tip, it must just the perfect or else i'll... still use, but a little frustrated.
tendency to write in pencil
I reallu liked to use pencils too... i was found to the feeling of the lead running the paper and the sound it would make. The writing would look terrible with the time but it was worth the moment.
cursive tends to be called joined up letters instead for the younger ones.
This is really cute.
Personally I think it's irrelevant what style you write in, just because it really makes no difference whatsoever in the real world as long as the message is successfully conveyed. When I was a kid it was drilled into me that if I don't learn or use cursive writing I'll never get a decent job or succeed in any "adult world" activity, yet here I am almost never using it without issue so I don't really see the point.
Yeah i don't think as if being relevant or not, just a thing we have, it's kind of a part of ourselves, but yeah a also felt a little bad for not having a good looking handwritting like some of my schoolmates at the time, and i felt less intelligent than them too, school put some dumb pressure over our shoulders lol
But it makes me think... DID these successfull people actually had or have good looking handwritting?
Due to reasons, my handwriting is awful
Let me see it owo

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't teach cursive in school in most of the USA anymore

My writing is I don't even know what to call it, but print that evolved into illegible cursive over time

• Wow
Reactions: caipora

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting... i hardly see anyone writing in print here in Brazil
I really suspect a large part of it is that everything here basically completely transitioned to digital

In my little bro's highschool maybe 8 years ago now they got rid of textbooks and everyone just used a personal laptop

caipora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I really suspect a large part of it is that everything here basically completely transitioned to digital

In my little bro's highschool maybe 8 years ago now they got rid of textbooks and everyone just used a personal laptop
It makes sense, it'll take a while 'til this happens here tho.

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm a lefty, the way school wants you to write (cursive) isn't at all pleasant and natural because I have to write away not towards my hand. Nowadays I rotate my paper 90 degrees clockwise effectively writing downwards. I don't do cursive, I need's it to be readable...

Reactions: caipora

PICOchu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Grew up doing cursive and got told on multiple occasions when I was a kid it looked like ”dancing spiders”.
Thankfully the spiders are no more and I write in far neater print now. This was mainly due to me discarding the weird way I was taught “s” and forgetting alllllll the capital letter cursive I learnt. Ew.

On whiteboards I just print letters one by one. Easier for me to write, and my friends to read.

caipora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm a lefty, the way school wants you to write (cursive) isn't at all pleasant and natural because I have to write away not towards my hand. Nowadays I rotate my paper 90 degrees clockwise effectively writing downwards. I don't do cursive, I need's it to be readable...
Poor leftists cannot write without messing it all up
in france not only do we only learn to write in cursive but our school writing books have paper like that
https://www.collection-papillon.fr/149-pdt_540/cahier-ecriture-ce1.jpg
basically the multiples lines indicate the heights for cursive
That's pretty much the experience we have here, but our notebooks don't have vertical lines, only horizontal.
Grew up doing cursive and got told on multiple occasions when I was a kid it looked like ”dancing spiders”.
Thankfully the spiders are no more and I write in far neater print now. This was mainly due to me discarding the weird way I was taught “s” and forgetting alllllll the capital letter cursive I learnt. Ew.

On whiteboards I just print letters one by one. Easier for me to write, and my friends to read.
Dancing spiders sounds cute, was it that bad? Your handwriting is all in print now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maxouter @ Maxouter: yo