Homebrew OPEN_AGB_FIRM discussion thread

WizardWell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, I didn't think to use GM9. I've been using Notepad3DS to make the changes.

Edit - how do I edit the file in textviewer? I can't seem to make any changes, only view the file.
You have to use the hexeditor. Not terribly hard, very easy to edit numerical values.
Post automatically merged:

Question: on the main website for open_agb_firm they say sleep mode is not fully implemented. Does this mean that if you activate sleep mode that is offered in-game, it won't save any battery power? Or would it be so minimal it's not even worth using?

I'm curious if they could just activate sleep mode by pressing the Home button on the 3DS. It has no other use but I could see it not be available in any capacity since it's running the GBA firmware.

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
Question: on the main website for open_agb_firm they say sleep mode is not fully implemented. Does this mean that if you activate sleep mode that is offered in-game, it won't save any battery power? Or would it be so minimal it's not even worth using?

I would think it should still save battery power because it would turn off the screen and audio and only use enough CPU to save game state.

The difference is GBA games require the game to support it where it will work with any DS game.

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Yeah, you aren't using OPEN_AGB Launcher properly, it *requires* you to have fastboot3DS instead of boot9strap.
Using it as intended, will just reboot your console straight into OPEN_AGB_FIRM. Would advise you to follow its usage guide before using it any further.
is fastboot3DS recommended nowadays? I want a custom button combination for opening OPEN AGB FIRM to pressing B while turning up the console or something like that, my Start button is not working all that well and when I try to open the Luma 3DS Chainload Menu I sometimes end up on the regular 3DS Menu and it wastes a lot of time, you can use OPEN AGB Launcher with it? I tried it before and it didn't work, it just rebooted my 3DS

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is fastboot3DS recommended nowadays? I want a custom button combination for opening OPEN AGB FIRM to pressing B while turning up the console or something like that, my Start button is not working all that well and when I try to open the Luma 3DS Chainload Menu I sometimes end up on the regular 3DS Menu and it wastes a lot of time, you can use OPEN AGB Launcher with it? I tried it before and it didn't work, it just rebooted my 3DS
That's what I use at least. You can map it to any button. I have it mapped to L.

Reactions: Chuardo

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
That's what I use at least. You can map it to any button. I have it mapped to L.
I got it to work thank you, does anyone know why I can't use button combos on open agb firm (like X+Left to turn off screen) they work on other 3DS consoles where I installed it and all of them have the same config.ini so I don't know why they don't work on a specific one

edit: I was using an older release on the 3DS where it didn't work, it works now

Last edited by Chuardo,
Reactions: godreborn

TehLinkz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to move a save file from mGBA to open_agb_firm? I tried putting my .sav file from mGBA into /3ds/open_agb_firm/saves but that didn't work.
Any ideas?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Tebra

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi all,
what is the best option to play GBA games on full screen on N2DS:
1) open_agb_firm with scaler bilinear
2) open_agb_firm with scaler hardware
3) mgba emulator
4) other option

Thanks

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
what is the best option to play GBA games on full screen on N2DS:
1) open_agb_firm with scaler bilinear
2) open_agb_firm with scaler hardware
3) mgba emulator
4) other option

Thanks
This is a can of worms when the purists find it but for me, OAF with the bilinear scaling is pretty much perfect.

Reactions: Tebra

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
In all honesty, as I see it mGBA offers by far the best picture when trying to play with a larger output, just choose the "pixelated" filter and it looks significantly better than any other thing I've tried, and I wonder why no other things, be it other GBA projects or simply any other emulator regardless of platform have tried to replicate it. It's obviously no integer scale sharpness, but it's miles ahead of bilinear and other attempts. i can only describe it as black magic, I don't know how Endrift did it.

It's just a shame that it's accuracy focus leaves it with not great performance in any 3DS model, even when you try to force the higher clock with Rosalina. If that filter could be ported to other things like gpsp it'd be awesome.

I also set up OPEN_AGB_FIRM and will check it out. Is the build from December the last one?

steval_beaning

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In all honesty, as I see it mGBA offers by far the best picture when trying to play with a larger output, just choose the "pixelated" filter and it looks significantly better than any other thing I've tried, and I wonder why no other things, be it other GBA projects or simply any other emulator regardless of platform have tried to replicate it. It's obviously no integer scale sharpness, but it's miles ahead of bilinear and other attempts. i can only describe it as black magic, I don't know how Endrift did it.

It's just a shame that it's accuracy focus leaves it with not great performance in any 3DS model, even when you try to force the higher clock with Rosalina. If that filter could be ported to other things like gpsp it'd be awesome.

I also set up OPEN_AGB_FIRM and will check it out. Is the build from December the last one?
i'm pretty sure mgba uses the 800px mode (which is a horizontal 3x scale) which is why it looks better than other scaling methods

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Oh, does it? That's quite interesting, I could understand why other 3DS projects don't use it then! Other versions of mGBA, like the Wii port also have that filter too.

I've tried OAF and it's going to be quite neat for those games that have issues trying to be played on other ways, I got a couple with severe glitches on GBArunner2, and reading about how it works was fascinating. Setting up the config file seems to be doable with GodMode9 and the Hex Editor, reading older pages of this thread on the 3DS itself, that's going to be useful for not having to go to a computer to edit it, although I only needed to change the backlight.

I've messed around with gpsp on Retro Arch, and I actually got a set up that could be considered on par with what mGBA does, or even slightly better. With these settings:

An Aspect Ratio [Custom 360x240] +
Bilinear turned: On +
Video Filter: Either Normal2x or Scalex2, depending on your tastes, I kinda recommend the latter.

You get as close as I could to what mGBA offers with Normalx2, but with Scalex2 the picture is a bit rounder but also sharper. As mentioned, not ideal by any means, and I've always said that people should try and play as they like so there's a lot of personal taste into this stuff...

But I'd argue that Scalex2 is the best I could make GBA look, it's the best compromise I could get between big picture and sharp/nice looking enough. Games with tiny sprites or text will suffer the most from non-integer scaling, but... Well, what can we do.

So... Games like, Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls with its tiny as heck fonts, doesn't look too hot. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance looks quite a bit better, and games with little text will benefit the most, but it's more of a game-by-game thing.

If anyone cares to try it, let me know what you think. Remember to go into Quick Menu, Overrides and Save Core Override so you don't have to go back and for tweaking settings repitedly.

Reactions: Tebra

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think most people would prefer to use mGBA since it does allow more common features that is standard for emulators than open agb firm. Performance is probably one of the big struggles mGBA has, save states, and loading roms without having to reboot is nice.

But open agb firm does load faster than waiting for the system menu to load and then mGBA. Eebooting isn't a big deal I suppose cause of that. Also because it doesn't need system menu, I guess even a bricked 3DS can play it? Of course I'm not 100% sure on that one. I wish something like open agb firm could work for DS games.
"Open TWL FIRM" Lol, that would be something. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1