Mexico

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Sorry to destroy everyone's hopes, but without looking at the source code I can tell he's most likely just making his own (micro)kernel or thread- and interrupt manager for easier deving and faster response times (which matters a lot due to DMA timings).

The most this can benefit us is that it'll be more stable when using it, and more maintainable so bugfixes and new features will be easier to add.

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
New OPEN_AGB_FIRM build! There isn't any flashy changes still, but some things were fixed: https://github.com/profi200/open_agb_firm/releases/tag/alpha_2020-09-08

"This is a build from the kernel_experiments branch for the impatient.
  • There is no real user facing change in this release except this should fix all possible frame drops including the ones caused by MCU events.
Note:
I got side tracked with this kernel project which i was working on for quite some time. It was always meant to go into this code base and eventually i will split this into open_agb_firm and lib3ds. I will try and get back soon to actually doing real improvements to this project."

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The release description says the scaler used is the default sharp interpolated one. Does that mean OAF is using Nintendo's hidden 1.5x scale function, instead of bilinear now?

*edit*

Ah, the source seems to indicate that it's using the original AGB_FIRM scaling created by Nintendo. It certainly looks much crisper now, but it looks like he implemented a few other scaling options, too. I eagerly await the day that we can configure all these goodies ourselves. :)

Last edited by AleronIves,
Reactions: peteruk

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I've said 800px wide would be the ultimate scaling with a perfect 3x horizontal scale that would end all scaling debates, but I don't know how difficult that is to implement.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Sorry to destroy everyone's hopes, but without looking at the source code I can tell he's most likely just making his own (micro)kernel or thread- and interrupt manager for easier deving and faster response times (which matters a lot due to DMA timings).

The most this can benefit us is that it'll be more stable when using it, and more maintainable so bugfixes and new features will be easier to add.
I mean, you got to start somewhere? :3

Reactions: Sono

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if it's a bug or simply me being stupid and not reading fully every single post but I have a minor problem

I am using Fastboot 1.2 and have set up my agbfirm correctly using the menu system and allocated a button for it. When I try to use said button I get a black screen with the blue light on only, if i press a button it powers off.

However if I power on holding start for GodMode9 I am able to launch the agbfirm through GodMode's chainloader.

What am I doing wrong ? It's probably something stupid I'm overlooking.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a problem with Luma, too. You have to have multiple files in the payload folder, or you get a black screen. It seems to be the only workaround right now.

ok... thanks for that... I'm sure I had at least 2, I'll double check on that now

EDIT- made no difference for me sadly, I added 3 dummy firm files to payloads folder and same behavior :( Looks broken

Last edited by peteruk,

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
If y'all are having problems: to my knowledge there is a timing bug which affects some chainloaders. Don't remember if it's in the screeninit part or not, but I have to chainload a fastboot3DS FIRM from fastboot3DS, which then boots open_agb_firm. Yeah...

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
@peteruk I installed a compiled version of "fastboot3ds" latest commit, and it's working like a charm (loading open_agb_firm.firm directly, without that "screen init" problem)

Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: peteruk

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's the difference between this and gbarunner2?
  • It takes much less time to launch a game.
  • You get to play in full screen 360x240, instead of a small rectangle in the middle of the screen.
  • You don't have to boot into DS mode and potentially increase the wear on the DS's flash memory?
I've read in a few places that some people manage to brick the DS mode on the 3DS by writing to the DS mode flash memory so much that it dies, in which case the only way to unbrick DS mode is to replace the physical chip on the board (unless you have N2DS XL, in which case you're SOL because you can't replace the chip). In theory, this means using DS mode only for DS games and doing everything else from 3DS mode (or in this case, GBA mode) is better for the longevity of your system, but hopefully the experts here have more information on that.

Reactions: lemonmaster

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Reactions: fmkid and peteruk

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ativan is pretty legit
    +1
    The last time I had to take something to help me sleep, I was prescribed Trazadone it was pretty OK to be honest.
    Not something I need at all these days, doing a lot better lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That Nuka Cola video with old ice grinder is cool, I want one.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, ANSWER HIS DAMN QUESTION
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm good, how r u
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm good, how r u