Homebrew OPEN_AGB_FIRM discussion thread

WizardWell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
https://github.com/profi200/open_agb_firm/releases/tag/alpha_2023-10-6

There's a separate PR that implements partial sleep mode support, but had minor issues last time I checked.
I did some digging and found that someone had patched the GBA rom with a sleep hack, somehow making it so that the signal for initiating the sleep was the same code for when the 3DS lid is closed. I found it on reddit:

Anybody know of how to pull that off? I've found a sleep hacking tool but I'm unsure how you designate the sleep signal to be the lid closing.

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is it possible to disable or remap the X + left combo to turn off the screen? Well, and all X + dpad combos. If you remap the X button to B for example is not very usable with this input enabled. Don't see any options on the github readme.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I did some digging and found that someone had patched the GBA rom with a sleep hack, somehow making it so that the signal for initiating the sleep was the same code for when the 3DS lid is closed. I found it on reddit:

Anybody know of how to pull that off? I've found a sleep hacking tool but I'm unsure how you designate the sleep signal to be the lid closing.

You need GBATA to add sleep mode patches to any GBA game, for that "button combination" I don't really know, but afaik that wouldn't work on oaf since it needs to be implemented in oaf side (which doesn't support proper sleep mode yet) and not just on the GBA rom side. You can try a build with the PR i referenced earlier for partial sleep mode support.

Further on the sleep mode discussion, I found this: https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/issues/1691

apparently AGB_FIRM has sleep mode, but open_agb_firm does not? What is the difference between those two firms? AGB_FIRM is just what literally runs the GBA games right? And Open is the full selection firmware.

The difference is that open_agb_firm, as the name suggest, is a bare-metal open source implementation made from scratch to use the 3DS's GBA hardware in a similar way to AGB_FIRM.

In conclusion, AGB_FIRM =/= open_agb_firm

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah official AGB_FIRM's "sleep mode" isn't a real sleep mode. Sure the screens might turn off but the game isn't suspended and still runs. So for example if you go to sleep mode while playing a Mario game and you didn't pause the game, the level would time out or your character could die from touching an enemy while you have the console in sleep mode because the game isn't actually suspended.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol