Homebrew OPEN_AGB_FIRM discussion thread

johndpoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@johndpoe
There is another quick way to do it. Open the config in GodMode9 as hex and then change the setting and save. It will show the text to the right so don't worry.

This only works if you already have this setting in the config since you can't insert new text this way.
Yep, thanks. I actually thought of the gm9 script after someone else mentioned the hex editor, but I find it is quicker to run the script than to open the file and change it with the editor.

I might take a closer look at the scripting capabilities of gm9, and see if instead of relying on swapping config files, one can write into the config file directly. I think making a menu to configure the options is easy enough...

TrophyHunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I'll use this message to ask you another question, since my original issue was solved apparently on its own.

I love playing on my N2DS, but the bilineal filter makes the image blurry enough to be noticeable, and the no-filter mode is too rough. I've been thinking about getting an original 2DS exclusively for GBA games. My thinking is that the smaller screen, although having the same resolution as any other 3DS model, will do a better job at "hiding" the effects of the upscaling to the GBA image. Is this correct?

I've tried looking for some videos of people playing GBA on an o2DS, but there are very few of those and they don't show a clear image of how the game looks on it. Can anyone give me some feedback on this, or maybe even a pic or a video, before I pull the trigger on a console?

Thanks!

Hi! First post here.

I'm having a bit of an issue with OAF. I'm trying to test the different scaling methods, but I can't get them to work. I started by using the latest compiled version posted here (Jan. 5) and switching the Scaler to 0, 1 and 2 in the config file, but nothing changes.

Then I tried using three different config files and chaning them via Quick Switcher... doesn't work either.

OK, so, I went back to the builds posted before the implementation of the Scaler setting in the config file. Tried the one with 1:1 scaling... nothing.

What am I doing wrong? The screen scaling refuses to change, and I feel the gamma settings are not being taken into account either.
Edit: Nevermind, it's now working. Somehow. I swear I didn't change anything else, but it's now working :)

Last edited by TrophyHunter,

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it won't really help. If you want a better 1x GBA experience, get one of the DS systems, which has 256x192 resolution and displays GBA games at the original 240x160 resolution.

TrophyHunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it won't really help. If you want a better 1x GBA experience, get one of the DS systems, which has 256x192 resolution and displays GBA games at the original 240x160 resolution.

Thanks for the reply.

Dang, I was hoping that the smaller screen would make the bilinear filter less noticeable than when the image is blown up in the larger screens of the N2DS :(

I have an OG DS, a DS Lite, a DSi and a DSi LL :) I've been thinking about transforming the DS Lite into a GBA Macro, but truth be told, the dpad and the buttons are way too mushy after so many years of using it that I'd need to replace them with new ones. So that'd be the faceplate, buttons and flashcart (plus the resistor) for the project... Maybe something I could look into during the summer.

TrophyHunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried Nintendo's scaling method? Bilinear looks awful on 2D games, but the "official" scaler looks much better IMHO.
Is that what's labeled as "Hardware" on AGB? If so, then yes. It looks much sharper for certain, but it also shows a lot more scaling artifacts and irregularities that end up being quite noticeable :/

pokota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could compile a new build with those buttons swapped, but I don't know where are the functions. hid.h doesn't seem to change them.
Once the functions are found, would it be possible to expose custom button mappings using config.ini? I prefer to use X as Start and Y as Select.

Radrian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Would the fix for the rtc makes the TV events work on emerald? I think they were not working before

Edit: yeah or I was super unlucky or they are fixed, I just got a sedot mass outbreak reported on the news

Last edited by Radrian,

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
profi200 doing his magic again.

8f86f79461d926490bfb482242c007dac188ac04 [toshsd/sdmmc] Renamed slot to card.
78fd101c6634dcc18da6f77b0e6c52bdc967d9bb Allow ROMs bigger than 32 MiB to be loaded with a warning. Note: If any game/ROM hack tries to access data out of bounds it will crash sooner or later. Don't open issues for such ROMs.
c139ceb720bf3bfeebe2d32157f0a0e30be46499 Allow large file reads and writes via fatfs. Miscellaneous NDMA driver changes.
92f3208daa5ac1cd1b7a115c22ba4adcb47f3e71 Use asm_macros.h in both start.s files.
f9f47df59e743129319fe1801755511bda8df119 Switched to unified assembly syntax.
9d54442c4221962f93e12d02e367302b0fd2c505 SD/(e)MMC driver cleanup.
b8b75d784c47f75c379503208b6538bed32bae8d Fixed RTC type conversion warning.

Finally you can view those uber crappy quality video carts :rofl2:

Attachments

• open_agb_firm.7z
    171.2 KB · Views: 45

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
profi200 doing his magic again.

Finally you can view those uber crappy quality video carts :rofl2: