OpenBOR Wii

RunningSnakes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are known OpenBOR game paks that are compatible with the Wii/vWii.

As far as i know, all of these paks are free to distribute as they are fan made games. If any content is restricted, or the creator(s) would like their content removed, please post or PM me.

https://mega.nz/folder/K5VRWCQI#pzgrtsEtBf15h8M7q7zVAg

RunningSnakes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. I had no clue this was released. Tried a couple large games and works great, wonder if this is working through USB?

Do you know of any top games that are now working with this release that were not before?

Thank you for posting this.

RunningSnakes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very cool! This is working with USB through WFL too.

I tried normal USB boot through HBC and unfortunately USB is not supported. Great to see this got an update regardless, i thought it would never happen.

I have a few projects i am working on currently but i will surely be testing other games soon. If the dev runs across this thread, thank you for your work.

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Very cool! This is working with USB through WFL too.

I tried normal USB boot through HBC and unfortunately USB is not supported. Great to see this got an update regardless, i thought it would never happen.

I have a few projects i am working on currently but i will surely be testing other games soon. If the dev runs across this thread, thank you for your work.
tried normal USB boot via HBC and it worked
tried and also works with USB via WFL.

Reactions: RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tried normal USB boot via HBC and it worked
tried and also works with USB via WFL.
View attachment 323541

Tested again through HBC and it is indeed working through USB. I must not have completely cleared the folder contents before.

My forwarder channel will not boot though, i wonder if there is a workaround/fix using forwarder channel.

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Curious if the He-Man, Turtles, Marvel games will play now. It does seem to boot faster in the few .games i tested.
from this list only these roms work
Gudule_[Ver._0.2.2][v.3.0_Build_4432]
Konpaku_[v.3.0_Build_2727]
Rocket_Viper_2_-_Purification_[v.3.0_Build_4086]
Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_-_The_Wrath_of_Shredder_[Ver._1.1][v.3.0_Build_4086]
Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_III_The_Manhattan_Project_[v.3.0_Build_4086]

besides yours I have tried other forwarding channels do not start

Attachments

• not working.txt
    1 KB · Views: 68

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! 18.5 gig worth of paks?? I had no idea there that many worked on wii!!

I have a forwarder channel I made that works but it created it in a mad few seconds where i thought adding gamepad patch would work for wii u!

.... Sorry, just realised you prob mean a wii forwarder which i still may have, I'll have a look later if anyone wants?

Qaztab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curious if the He-Man, Turtles, Marvel games will play now. It does seem to boot faster in the few .games i tested.
Would like to know this as well.

There are multiple versions of the He-Man game out there from various PAK releases. None of the them work, or if they do, they crash *very* early on. You might get to play a couple of levels to see what you're missing too, which really sucks. Turtles Rescue Palooza and the Marvel Avengers United Battle Force games are PAKs where only the very first releases work for Wii. The rest don't load at all.

Having modified Godzilla Ultraman Gamera!! into a Lite Unofficial version that would play from beginning to end on Wii without crashing(while adding some really cool Ally and Survival modes), I became pretty familiar with the OpenBOR limitations on Wii. The 8/29/2018 release of 3.0 is the version I have been using. This version has screen tearing(very mild, but it's there) and the scripting language doesn't support the newer OpenBOR features seen in Turtles Palooza and Marvel Avengers UBF, hence part of the reason, but not the only reason, they crash. It also only supports mono WAV files, which is the reason you might get a PAK to load but the sound effects sound like hisses. You can unPAK a PAK and batch convert the WAV files from stereo to mono, and rePAK the game, and it will then work, which is also an excellent way to lower a PAKs memory load too to make it Wii compliant.

The Wii version's memory limitations are the biggest hurtle for OpenBOR and the main reason Godzilla Ultraman Gamera!!(3rd release) would not only crash but become unplayable on a lot of the game's levels. OpenBOR on Wii can only handle so much memory load of character/enemy sprites and their sound effects, *and* it can only handle so many level assets on a game level at a time, which you won't know for certain until you play the entire level. A lot of work(but not the only work) I put into GUG Lite was trimming out buildings in the levels so it's not too obvious that they were trimmed. At a certain point of asset load the engine starts chugging and the frame rate drops to a crawl since one of the reasons GUG is so great is that it likes to litter the game levels with destroyed buildings and defeated enemies. The engine is still keeping track of these level assets even though they're not doing anything and are often long off screen by the time the engine starts actually chugging. For example, The Hedorah level boss would like to make little bits of smog, which is a real cool effect, but each bit of smog was an asset, and it wouldn't take long for the game to go from a perfectly playable frame rate to literally 2 frames per second.

The thing about playing an OpenBOR PAK on Wiii is: "Yeah, it loads, but can you actually play the game from beginning to end without performance issues or having it crash?" Makes me a little concerned when I see a new release and I already have a collection of PAKs I know are fully functional on Wii. So any reconnaissance here is appreciated. :)

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried this and teenage mutant ninja turtles rescue palooza causes vwii to crash and go back to the wii u menu.

Last edited by cvskid,
  • Haha
Reactions: niuus

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rescue palooza will only work with the accompanying exe apparently which does mean no wii compatibility unfortunately. I have a few Dizzy paks that are the same.

Reactions: cvskid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU