Gaming Homebrew Project OpenGl glTranslatef() only moves object on the z axis.

A_stream

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Good Day/Night. I'm not sure if I can ask in here, but I'm having a little problem with my prototype game.
So I'm trying to learn OpenGl using GLUT with CodeBlocks, and everything is going well, like, it renders a cube that I can move, but It only moves on the z axis. And I don't know what to do, because I checked everywhere to see if I did something wrong, but there's nothing (I even tried chatGPT to generate me code but it's the same). So I came here to ask if anyone here has any clue on how to fix this, It will be of great help!
Here's the code:
[ICODE] [CODE=c]/* * GLUT Shapes Demo * * Written by Nigel Stewart November 2003 * * This program is test harness for the sphere, cone * and torus shapes in GLUT. * * This was edited by the creator of this game. * Nigel Stewart's code was used as a foundation. */ #ifdef __APPLE__ #include <GLUT/glut.h> #else #include <GL/glut.h> #endif #include <stdlib.h> #include <math.h> #define PI 3.14159265358979323846 GLfloat x = 1.0f; GLfloat y = -2.0f; GLfloat z = -7.0f; GLfloat Rotation = 0.0f; GLfloat moveDirectionX = 0.0f; GLfloat moveDirectionZ = -1.0f; // Initial movement direction /* GLUT callback Handlers */ static void resize(int width, int height) { const float ar = (float) width / (float) height; glViewport(0, 0, width, height); glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); glLoadIdentity(); glFrustum(-ar, ar, -1.0, 1.0, 2.0, 100.0); glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); glLoadIdentity() ; } static void display(void) { const double t = glutGet(GLUT_ELAPSED_TIME) / 1000.0; const double a = t*90.0; glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT); glColor3d(0,0,1); glPushMatrix(); glTranslatef(x, y, z); glRotatef(Rotation, 0, 1, 0); glutSolidCube(3); glPopMatrix(); glutSwapBuffers(); } static void key(unsigned char key, int x, int y) { switch (key) { case 27 : exit(0); break; case 'w': z--; break; case 's': z++; break; case 'a': x++; break; case 'd': x--; break; } glutPostRedisplay(); } static void idle(void) { glutPostRedisplay(); } const GLfloat light_ambient[] = { 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f }; const GLfloat light_diffuse[] = { 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f }; const GLfloat light_specular[] = { 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f }; const GLfloat light_position[] = { 2.0f, 5.0f, 5.0f, 0.0f }; const GLfloat mat_ambient[] = { 0.7f, 0.7f, 0.7f, 1.0f }; const GLfloat mat_diffuse[] = { 0.8f, 0.8f, 0.8f, 1.0f }; const GLfloat mat_specular[] = { 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f }; const GLfloat high_shininess[] = { 100.0f }; /* Program entry point */ int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { glutInit(&argc, argv); glutInitWindowSize(640,480); glutInitWindowPosition(10,10); glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_RGB | GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_DEPTH); glutCreateWindow("Gemu"); glutReshapeFunc(resize); glutDisplayFunc(display); glutKeyboardFunc(key); glutIdleFunc(idle); glClearColor(1,1,1,1); glEnable(GL_CULL_FACE); glCullFace(GL_BACK); glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); glDepthFunc(GL_LESS); glEnable(GL_LIGHT0); glEnable(GL_NORMALIZE); glEnable(GL_COLOR_MATERIAL); glEnable(GL_LIGHTING); glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_AMBIENT, light_ambient); glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_DIFFUSE, light_diffuse); glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_SPECULAR, light_specular); glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, light_position); glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT, GL_AMBIENT, mat_ambient); glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT, GL_DIFFUSE, mat_diffuse); glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT, GL_SPECULAR, mat_specular); glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT, GL_SHININESS, high_shininess); glutMainLoop(); return EXIT_SUCCESS; }[/CODE]
[/ICODE]

Last edited by A_stream,

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1. please mark your code as code, it makes it soo much easier to read (see the picture how to do it)
2. the issue is probably in this function: static void key(unsigned char key, int x, int y)

the x and y parameter shadow your global x and y variables because they have the same name (i.e. you access them instead of your global x and y variable). Thus you modify the parameters not your global x and y variables.

3. Learning old fashioned OpenGL 1.x is nowdays really not that good of an idea anymore. It doesn't really have anything to do with how GPUs nowdays work, it is only provided through a compability layer of the driver for old applications.

Either try learning modern OpenGL as they call it (https://learnopengl.com/ and https://open.gl/ are good resources) or maybe take a long at https://www.raylib.com/ It works a bit similar to fixed pipeline OpenGL, but you can do a lot more with it.

1713653946697.png

A_stream

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
1. please mark your code as code, it makes it soo much easier to read (see the picture how to do it)
2. the issue is probably in this function: static void key(unsigned char key, int x, int y)

the x and y parameter shadow your global x and y variables because they have the same name (i.e. you access them instead of your global x and y variable). Thus you modify the parameters not your global x and y variables.

3. Learning old fashioned OpenGL 1.x is nowdays really not that good of an idea anymore. It doesn't really have anything to do with how GPUs nowdays work, it is only provided through a compability layer of the driver for old applications.

Either try learning modern OpenGL as they call it (https://learnopengl.com/ and https://open.gl/ are good resources) or maybe take a long at https://www.raylib.com/ It works a bit similar to fixed pipeline OpenGL, but you can do a lot more with it.

View attachment 432818
Damn. MY HERO! It works!!!
1. Thanks for showing me, how to make the code more readable(will keep that in mind for the future).
2. Thanks for clearing that up, with the keyboard.
3. Yeah I tried to use modern OpenGl tutorials, but for some reason I couldn't set them up for vsCode or CodeBlocks and I decided to just use the plain old OpenGl template on CodeBlocks and for now it's doing it's job, also don't get me wrong I will try and setup maybe the GLFW template or do something else that uses modern tools. As for Raylib, I tried learning it and was doing a lot of progress in understanding it, but one day it decided to not get my mouse input at all, then decided that It will not draw any objects on screen (not even billboards), then I reinstalled the library but it still didn't work, so I decided to give up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: We're figments of your imagination +1