Gaming Opera DS: Will it work for us?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
The Opera expansion cart is only 12MB of ram plus some flash storage for updates, both of which the M3 and SC will be able to simulate considering the M3/SC have 32MB of ram and a huge amount of flash storage. Of course, it will have to be hacked to use the M3/SC memory as each card (M3, SC, and Opera) uses a different way of accessing the onboard RAM.

hey_suburbia

Do The Lizard Bop
Trophies
Website
www.hungrylizards.net
XP
Country
United States
>>So, where would I use this at all?

You're right lot of people may not find this too useful, but personally this will be AMAZING for me.

1.) I live in a city and there are TONS of wifi zones, cafes, parks, and almost every residential block has at least 1 open connection.

2.) Philadelphia is going to be completely WiFi within the next year or so, that means I can be anywhere in the city, pop open my DS Lite and have access.

3.) Right now I upload books onto my GBA cart and read them, now I can just upload my books and read them online.

4.) Even at home, with three computers (Laptop and two desktops) and WiFi, I'll still enjoy the convience of browsing the internet while on the shitter or if my girlfriend is on the laptop, I can easily go online.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

You're right lot of people may not find this too useful, but personally this will be AMAZING for me.

1.) I live in a city and there are TONS of wifi zones, cafes, parks, and almost every residential block has at least 1 open connection.

Yup, that's why I didn't miss including my location in my post.

If this changes here, the whole situation might change also, I agree, however if you *need* to be so mobile (job, or whatever) a (small, cheap) notebook with full functionality will make life so much easier.

Actually I don't know how to explain it completely, or maybe I'm being an elitist ass
biggrin.gif

4.) [Stuff]

Hehe, that brings up some hilarious thoughts. For one, you should be playing tetris... stuff falling down. Or maybe not.
On the other hand, I just imagine you chatting with someone 'Hey, I'm taking a shit, what're you currently up to?'
happy.gif

Edit: Yeah, sorry, double post. FOR THE FIRST TIME
grog.gif

hey_suburbia

Do The Lizard Bop
Trophies
Website
www.hungrylizards.net
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Actually I don't know how to explain it completely, or maybe I'm being an elitist ass

I know what you mean. I have my cellphone for casual internet browsing, so the Opera DS browser will most likely just be a novelty for me.

I think for me it's just another convience to add onto something I already own.

If the browser supported flash or java that would be a whole different story, because then you could play games on it.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If the browser supported flash or java that would be a whole different story, because then you could play games on it.

Java shouldn't be a technical problem. Flash however for one is updated frequently, which might be an issue, but the bigger problem is that flash is quite a CPU hog (for what it's doing) and wouldn't likely perform well on the DS.

Triforce

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
Will it surpport flash ?
unsure.gif
Hmmm i really dunno about this, i'll be impressed if it does.

I would'nt say it's impossible, it's not that much of a cpu hog and updates should'nt matter that much as sites still export to flash 7 or lower regardless of the updates.
The only problem i'd have with the browser not displaying it is the fact that most gaming sites these days, im talking official sites, are nearly all made completely in flash.

Take Nintendo.co.jp for example the first thing you see on there is a big New Super Mario Bros pic. Click on that and your taken to the official NSMB page full of shock wave flash.

I guess if Opera DS doesnt surport swf it wont matter for viewing Ninty's own pages too much as they should be using the script for "Where flash player isn't found display gif instead". But a lot of sites dont use that so yourll prolly just see nothing, or loads of get flash player banners all over the place
cry.gif

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Once again I remind you all I am taking bets on time to an irate parent/Mr. Thompson suing someone, hopefully me, over some kid seeing a suggestive photo.

Well they haven't said shit about the PSP built-in browser so I doubt highly that they'll say something now. Besides, if a parent doesn't want their child to have it then don't buy the shit
cool.gif

blurrysarah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The GBA slot cartridge should have that label facing down. Look at how the dust cover fits with the DSL.
DS cart is also upside down.

They probably just wanted to show off their pretty labels.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and since the default emulator is below average i downloaded some "replacements" like snes9x for snes games for example
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I also have my ps3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea ps3 is a beast still to today compared to most "sticks"
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you just want pi for emulation no point when Anbernic releases new shit every two seconds
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's really cool about Pi's tho is you can have multiple SD cards with different OS on each SD card and change from say a gaming machine to a full fledged pc if wanted
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus all bios are set up and usually includes at least 128gbs or 64
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but if your main goal is just to play n64 and GameCube you can save about $50 and have the portability option
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, but on 2 monitors at 4k. Its just want you want really, to each they own.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    For a kids aspect Anbernic would be the better option they'd probably melt over the price on a good 4k display
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For that texasroo guy, I'd recommend the Spell and speak as his first system.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So they buy a pi5 kit for about $150 and say a 28" 4k display probably looking around $400 total
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll be getting in the territory of portable Pcs anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Again you get what you pay for, its like buying a S series for $300 but its only 1440p native, if you want true 4k, gotta get the X model for $500. But yea you right, when moms buying it anyways, you gotta stay cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They could use HD out on their TV no real need for a monitor these days tbh the purists will disagree
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm kind of phasing out on the need for wanting all these consoles cool to have but they just become dust build ups
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I here ya there, I have too many myself, and have hard time letting them go, since most of mine I've modded at some point. Anymore I just play Switch on the go, seriesx at home.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ack my throat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I need to invest in some storage totes tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tots?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tootles
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tootles? Wtf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh tootles
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh totes , lol, like Tupperware storage, I gotcha
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm designing my own entertainment cabinet for my man cave, to store all my systems, then I'm also designing a power supply/HDMI switcher so I can switch to whichever system I want, and power it also. Already picked up the cabinet board, but tinkering with my drawings before start
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But yea, I have frogger arcade cabinet that I gutted and put a Pi4 then Pi5 into, but it never gets played much anymore, should sell it. Even when the kids come over, they don't want to play on it, just the xbox.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: But yea, I have frogger arcade cabinet that I gutted and put a Pi4 then Pi5 into, but it never...