Overwatch 2's custom game modes under scrutiny after backlash against custom "Sexual Harassment Simulator" mode

1_NintendoSwitch_Overwatch2_Banner.jpg

After its rocky launch, Overwatch 2 continues to invite controversy. A new custom game mode, called "Sexual Harassment Simulator," has been making the rounds on Twitter because of its inflammatory title and premise. Credited to YouTuber Amatsuhikone, the description reads "This is version 1.2 of the new and unique Sexual Harassment Simulator. Find new friends, live a normal life and give birth to a child!"

According to a report from PC Gamer, this is how the game mode works: "[Sexual Harassment Simulator] forces one player to play as Cassidy against a team of strictly female Overwatch heroes. In the top-left of the screen, it instructs you to 'Flash to knock down your victims,' which refers to Cassidy's old Overwatch 1 Flashbang ability and then says to 'Tbag to fuck,' which is written with spaces, seemingly to get around a word filter. As you crouch, text appears on the top of the screen that says 'raping…' Enemy heroes are then marked as 'pregnant' and, eventually, a Torbjorn bot is spawned to simulate a child."

Cassidy, the hero the harasser plays as, is the new name for original Overwatch hero McCree. McCree was renamed after it was discovered his namesake, developer Jesse McCree, was involved in the sexual harassment scandals at Activision Blizzard.

Reaching out to Blizzard for comment, PC Gamer was told "Inappropriate or explicit content has absolutely no place in our game." Blizzard also removed the game mode and pledges to continue improving their automatic filters. However, PC Gamer's Tyler Colp has confirmed that the game mode is still accessible if you have the unique five-digit code to access it. It also appears the game mode has been around for some time, as reddit posts dating back to four months can be found criticizing the custom game mode.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I get that some of you find rapeculture hilarious, and have voted accordingly. Know that the rest of us understand that it is only because it is the only way you will ever get any without paying for it.

• Haha
Reactions: BlusterBong

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm guessing the heroines can't attack the Cassidy player, and all they can do is try to run?

Don't know why this received backlash; kiddies need to learn about baby-making somehow, after all, and biologically speaking the woman's sole purpose is to get pregnant by a man and give birth to future generations. Reeealllly don't know why this received criticism; no idea whatsoever, nope, zero clue.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I get that some of you find rapeculture hilarious, and have voted accordingly.
People fighting imaginary foes is usually quite amusing to watch.
I heard about something similar for The Sims back in the day; this is not really that surprising. Another reason not to play Overwatch.
Someone made a utterly optional/have to make your own way to it mod for a game and you find it distasteful so don't play the base game? OK then.

Reactions: Foxi4

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
this is nuffin compared to what you can do in the sims rape, drugs, violence and yes even incest it's all in there and EA didn't give a rats ass about stopping it.

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Holybond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh..I wasn't expecting to see this of all things as an article. I wonder when they'll come for mods next, I guess this is a prime example as to why games journalism sites are dying off.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Who cares honestly. People have been doing shitty TinderWatch and Sexy R34 Highschool Roleplay gamemodes for years. Would be better for Blizz to delete all that, sure, but who cares enough to write articles and make assumptions of the game based on that stuff
It's like saying that Warcraft 3 (or any other game with creation tools) is garbage because there were also shit custom game modes. That doesn't make any sense.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who cares honestly. People have been doing shitty TinderWatch and Sexy R34 Highschool Roleplay gamemodes for years. Would be better for Blizz to delete all that, sure, but who cares enough to write articles and make assumptions of the game based on that stuff
It's like saying that Warcraft 3 (or any other game with creation tools) is garbage because there were also shit custom game modes. That doesn't make any sense.
Oh god i remember tinderwatch, i prefered my fav, i see you move, you die

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has everyone forgotten the Xbox 360 era? That was the wild west of online insults and harassment, but it was so much fun because it was just trash talk, nothing else.

Nowadays, people get offended over everything. Twitter can go f itself... And PayPal, too.

Chris_Dai_Gyakuten_Saiban

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has everyone forgotten the Xbox 360 era? That was the wild west of online insults and harassment, but it was so much fun because it was just trash talk, nothing else.

Nowadays, people get offended over everything. Twitter can go f itself... And PayPal, too.
You mean times when on Xbox 360 stuff like:
And this:
would happen?
I guess you could say that as times have changed, it seems people only get more and more offended, sometimes over small stuff and other times over big stuff. I kinda wish that we could have another Xbox 360 era, maybe it can give us some more laughs and make people a little less sensitive. Also I hate Twitter and am glad I haven't used PayPal in a long time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Anybody?