Paid E-Shop Downloads Won't Launch (Error Code: 199-9999)

Shredbug

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I modded my Wii U with Tiramisu back in June so I could get the full GameCube to Wii U experience.

Out of nowhere any time I try to launch a download (or a disc with DLC) from the E-shop I get a 199-9999 error code. This occurs on all E-shop downloads for Wii U and Virtual Console (such as N64, SNES, etc). The one exception is Wii E-shop downloads running on the vWii do work.

Keep in mind these games launched just fine a couple days ago, and the only thing I've done since then is use the built in function to copy all my downloads from the HDD I'm currently using over to an SSD as a backup (in case of drive failure).

To be clear: Wii U, Wii, and GameCube games I backed up from my personal disc collection work just fine. Any games that I downloaded (or downloaded DLC for) from the E-shop do not work. Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220716_191711.jpg
    20220716_191711.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my guess is that it doesn't like the ssd. the wiiu isn't built for them. that error is something that happens when sig patches are not installed, but with legit purchases, I think it's the ssd.

Shredbug

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
my guess is that it doesn't like the ssd. the wiiu isn't built for them. that error is something that happens when sig patches are not installed, but with legit purchases, I think it's the ssd.
Thank you for responding! In this case the SSD is not being used, I copied all the data over to it - but am continuing to use my HDD.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for responding! In this case the SSD is not being used, I copied all the data over to it - but am continuing to use my HDD.
hmm, maybe it doesn't allow both drives to contain the files. I'm not sure. I've never seen something like usb or internal storage in a ticket though.

Shredbug

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do the games work when you start them from the SSD (HDD unplugged) ?
I tried to launch a game (in this case Ocarina N64) with just the HDD connected, then just the SSD connected, and just now moved (not copied) the game from the HDD over to the internal 8gb NAND. All of these result in the 199-9999.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are you familiar with the Wii Us logging functionallities? In case you're not:
  1. Connect to the Wii U by FTP (Wii U FTP Server) and delete all files at storage_slc/logs/
  2. Download and start https://github.com/dimok789/loadiine_gx2/raw/master/udp_debug_reader/UdpDebugReader.exe
  3. Now start one of the infected games
  4. Show us what UdpDebugReader logged
  5. Have a look for a single .log file at storage_slc/logs/ and in case there is one: Show it, too.

Shredbug

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gotcha! The UDPDebugReader didn't log anything, but I do have a log file to show you from the storage_slc/logs folder! I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at, but for reference I tried launching Yoshi's Wooly World and you'll see some references to that title.

Attachments

• 25.txt
    32 KB · Views: 59

Shredbug

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some more things I've tried but haven't fixed the issue:
  • Re-connecting the two drives and deleting a copy of one of the affected e-shop downloads, then turning off the console and keeping only one drive in and trying to launch that game.
  • Deleting an affected game while one drive is plugged in, then redownloading from the e-shop. As this didn't work I'm almost certain there is a system level issue causing this.
  • Deleting my internet connection and attempting to launch an affected game, to make sure there isn't some stealth telemetry happening in the background.
I'm still fairly certain it has something to do with using the backup feature, and why seemingly nobody else has encountered this exact problem? I wonder if someone else has a modded system and has tried backing up their games?

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think for speed reasons most people just connect the HDD to the PC and dump raw disc images.

From a quick look into your log file I can't see any obvious error, so let's wait for more experienced people to drop in.

Reactions: Shredbug

Shredbug

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After 7 months I can finally tie a knot in this issue. I picked up the physical copy of Metroid Prime remastered this week and thought I really ought to deep dive into that Wii U issue I had.

So here's the TLDR version: House of the Dead Overkill in WUP executable form is the cause of the 199-9999 issue.
You're probably wondering: why would House of the Dead Overkill, and only that game, cause any e-shop downloaded game (or one with DLC) to throw an error? I do too.

I initially tried replacing the sigpatch, to no luck. Next I removed and then reinstalled Tiramisu. Next I tried wiping one of my drives and moving the games over from my older drive. Once I had a Wii U digital download, a Wii U disc back-up, a Wii digital downlaod, a Wii disc back-up, and a GameCube disc back-up installed on the wiped drive - I attempted to launch the Wii U digital download. When this launched without an error, I suspected it couldn't be the drive, and knew it wasn't the Tiramisu installation or moving/copying games. I had a hunch it was either 1 or more of the GameCube/Wii WUP executables, and after an entire day of adding and removing my library - I got my answer. Does it make sense? No. Is it repeatable? Yes.

That's the end of my story.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh