PC-98 translations updates (2023)

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Most PC-98 translations patches don't end up on RHDN or even GBATemp. This thread aims at making a comprehensive list of released stuff, and info on ongoing projects.

The newer releases are always on top. The WIP projects are in alphabetical order.

Click on the titles for links (finished projects only)

Released

Wind's Seed by Lynn

258164393-ada7591f-4772-46ae-9d57-5679994a94af.png

A very nice mini-RPG that was distributed into the 7th issue of the "Disc Station" magazine by Compile. It's a cute, heartwarming game with incredible art and a very fun script.

Jan Jaka Jan by GAN (warning: adult content)

Jan_Jaka_Jan_elf-231231-142810.png

Elf's take on an ADV Mahjong hybrid. High production values and a fun script. Of course, you're supposed to know how to play mahjong ^^

Dead of the Brain by WINE

7088screenshot2.png

Cult-classic horror ADV. It's been totally retranslated just in time for Halloween, so ditch at once the Retronomicon version and play this one instead!

Dragon Knight II by elf89 (Warning: Adult Content)
7064screenshot2.png

The sequel to Dragon Knight (obviously). It's still an old-school dungeon crawler, unlike the sequels. This one has a better plot and is more evoluted altogether.

Fatal Relations by WINE (Warning: Adult Content)

fatalr.png

Port of another Himeya Soft eroge, which was originally localized in the 90's. Has a way better soundtrack than the Windows version. A great alternative to the Asenheim version!

Madou Monogatari 1 by Yuvi & SnowyAria

NP2_0001.png

First part of a trilogy of short dungeon crawlers. Puyo Puyo is actually a spinoff of this series. It has been released on multiple platforms and has fan translations on Genesis, PCE-CD and even Game Gear, but the PC-98 version is pretty unique. It has an unusual balance between cuteness and plain creepiness, and the best art of all versions. The team plans to do the rest of the trilogy, along with the sequel.

Hacchake Ayayo-San by GlazedHam (Warning: Adult Content)

NP2_0011.png

A very, very short erotic VN that happens to be the starting point of one of the most insane eroge series ever.

Aegean Kai No Shizuku by Svipur

NP2_0008.png

An atmospheric Myst-like with very nice anime graphics. Has a Windows remake in prerendered 3D. This version looks a lot better IMO.

Sword of Kumdor by Lynn

NP2_0009.png

An experimental RPG that happens to also be a "blind typing" educational title. Very strange and funny atmosphere. Replaces the broken machine-translated version previously available.

Desire by MrSilentVid (Warning: Adult Content)

NP2_0010.png

The first notable VN by Hiroyuki Kanno, the author of Eve: Burst Error, Xenon and Yu-No (and also Amy's Fantasies ^^). Doesn't use the previously available Windows script and includes a previously unavailable omake section.

Ongoing
(Only stuff that was made public at a point or another, may include stalled projects)

- Appareden (by 46Okumen)
- Ayayo-San III (by GlazedHam) (Warning: Adult Content)
- Brandish 1, 2 & 3 (by JoseJL & preta)
- Corpse Party (by G.Egor)
- Dragon Knight III (by elf89) (Warning: Adult Content)
- Dragon Knight IV (by shintocetra) (Warning: Adult Content)
- Dragon Pink (by KanedaFr) (Warning: Adult Content)
- Dragon Slayer VI - The Legend of Heroes (by NLeSeul)
- ELLE (by MrSilentVid) (Warning: Adult Content)
- Hamlet (by Alpharobo)
- Innocent Tour (by Svipur) (Warning: Adult Content)
- Kurayami (by KurayamiMari) (Warning: Adult Content)
- Kurutta Kajitsu (Warning: Adult Content)
- Madou Monogatari 3 (by Yuvi, EsperKnight & SnowyAria)
- Mime (by Valley Bell)
- Necronominion (by Dr Kubozuka) (Warning: Adult Content)
- Possessioner (by Hollowaytape) (Warning: Adult Content)
- Slayers (by Esperknight, Filler and Alpharobo)
- Shizuku (by Her-saki) (Warning: Adult Content)
- Xenon (by hemp) (Warning: Adult Content)
- Zavas (by RadicalR)

Dropped

- Dragon Knight (by Butch) (Warning: Adult Content)
(
There's actually an unfinished build for this one that was shared on Discord, but not really in an usable state)

Last edited by BabaJeanmel,

Pataslargas

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hello! I've been reading Amy ,I have read all 3 stories but can't find the omake, it's apparently in room 3? I checked a gallery and I indeed have something missing.

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
In scenario 3, when you get in your room for the first time, sleep on purpose, then refuse to go downstairs when Kaori asks you to do so. You must have completed the game before to make it work.

KurayamiMari

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.kurayamigame.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi there! As my namesake shows, I've been working on a (1996-1997) Kurayami translation (I have several sites related to it) but I guess PC-98 games are obscure, huh? Naturally, this one falls under the "warning: adult content" category. I have a thread on the RHDN forums asking for assistance on finding some missing text, because there has been tons of hiccups along the way, whether its Kurayami's PC-98 or Windows 95 release. At least the translation itself is smooth, albeit slow!

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi! Glad to see another PC-98 project going on. I just visited your site, the game seems really interesting, and from the notes it looks like translating it is quite an herculean task... Good luck for your project, and thanks for keeping us informed!

Reactions: Nikokaro

KurayamiMari

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.kurayamigame.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi! Glad to see another PC-98 project going on. I just visited your site, the game seems really interesting, and from the notes it looks like translating it is quite an herculean task... Good luck for your project, and thanks for keeping us informed!
Thank you! I have a Twitter to keep project progress quickly up to date (Edit: finally, the links to my alternate pages added) but there have been quite a few headaches with it*. Basically, neither the PC-98 or Win95 script insertion and extraction are playing nice. And because I'm no coder... But, at least the translation is going well, so I'll put my energy into first completing that, and then go from there.

*Eventually I might create a thread regarding the issues I've been running into.

Last edited by KurayamiMari,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Fatal relations is infamous for its sick storyline, but it still has good artwork, if I remember correctly: maybe I will take a look at it.
I wrote this mainly to receive push notifications in case of updates on the various translation/porting projects mentioned here. 😋

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oddly enough, they have curiously uploaded to Romhacking(dot)net the translation patch (unfortunately a google translation) of Dragon Knight 2, and the script port of Fatal Relation for PC-98: evidently that staff did not realize that these are hentai games. They will be short-lived there, I'm afraid.
I post the link here, aware that it will work for a short time yet., mostly for the sake of the record:
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/7064/

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I repackaged the DK2 translation to re-enable the missing animations and fix the double-width "Takeru". I sent a message to the patch creator with everything needed so they can fix it. In the meantime, if someone is interested, DM me. I won't publish it on my own, and sure as hell won't be sending anything to RHDN.

Content filtering is pretty strange on this site. Night Life, which is more akin to a "8-bit sex health guide" without anything too graphic, has been refused, while Fatal Relations was accepted. I guess it depends of the moderator, and if some prude user reports the patch after its release.

I had considered publishing Lime there at a point, but the game managed to offense some people because of some suggestive stuff (the candle wax in ep 1, or the whole groping comedy thing in ep 2). There is also some very very partial nudity in both Lime and Milk in the transforming scenes, but nothing worse that what you see in Sailor Moon for instance. This is just basic fanservice you encounter pretty often in many manga and anime, but when it comes to video games people become really prude all of a sudden...

So considering the content involved on most of my patches, I won't take any risk. Having your stuff axed is a thing (not a big deal as far as I'm concerned), but being cyber-bullied by users who don't find a game's content to their liking is another. There have been some previous cases of such things unfortunately.

Last edited by BabaJeanmel,

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I repackaged the DK2 translation to re-enable the missing animations and fix the double-width "Takeru". I sent a message to the patch creator with everything needed so they can fix it
Oh... Then I will wait to play it until your corrections are added to the patch. In fact, to be honest, one of the few interesting things about that game are the blinking eyelids and moving mouths, and little else. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: BabaJeanmel

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The corrections I submitted, and a few others, have been included in version 1.1 of the DK2 patch. It's available on RHDN :)

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The corrections I submitted, and a few others, have been included in version 1.1 of the DK2 patch. It's available on RHDN :)
Yet some time ago you wrote this:
I won't publish it on my own, and sure as hell won't be sending anything to RHDN.
Well, indeed hell is not so sure.......... but neither is heaven. 😋

Just kidding. Changing one's mind, after subsequent reflection, is a sign of modesty, flexibility and adaptive intelligence. 😉

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've helped some people (with bugfixing, graphic edits, playtesting...) for patches that ended up on RHDN, but it doesn't bother me. What I don't want to do is to publish my own projects there. There's a nuance here ;)

• Wow

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Updated. There have been progress reports on Possessioner (around 57% complete), Xenon (first pass done, now in editing phase) Innocent Tour (1st scenario done) and finally the retranslation of Dead of the Brain (in playtesting phase). Lots of good stuff incoming :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/EEuc0set57Y?si=FD5Xw_pXLu1yXGgG