Hardware PC tried to install Nintendo Switch drivers?

austin5623

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got back from a long trip, so I plugged my USB-C cable into my PC to make sure it still worked (just in case something went wrong), then plugged my Switch into it to see if it would charge. Never plugged this cable into this PC, as a matter of fact, never plugged a USB-C cable into any PC. It's an old Windows 7 computer. Then, all of a sudden, I see, "Installing driver software. Click for more details." At first I thought it was just Windows 7 installing USB-C drivers, because I'm 100% certain they weren't thinking of futuristic USB technology when they made Windows 7. But curiosity got to me and I saw this.
upload_2018-3-9_22-31-44.png

I was immediately confused (at first it was trying to look for drivers through Windows Update to no avail). Has this happened to anyone else, or is my PC just special (doubt it.)

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It likely has stored data on it tells devices it's connected to that it is a "Nintendo Switch". A generic name. The Switch pro controller is compatible with PC so perhaps that's the kind of information it's sending as well.

austin5623

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Windows won't even say it's connected, maybe because it's using a generic driver? Oh well. Here's the properties.
upload_2018-3-9_22-49-48.png
upload_2018-3-9_22-51-49.png

Last edited by austin5623,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch pro controller is compatible with PC so perhaps that's the kind of information it's sending as well.
Is that true? I remember trying to use a PS3 controller with PC, and having to download some shitty program that can kill your usb drivers. I think it was called Motion Joy, it had ads all over the damn place.

austin5623

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, it wasn't doing this before (that or I didn't notice it :P), every time I put the Switch in sleep mode, it makes the disconnected sound. Take it out of sleep mode, connected sound. But it also occasionally connects then promptly disconnects when it's in sleep mode and its bugging me.

DarkenSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be charging drivers like some smartphones use it just tells the pc "hey i require X amount of power supplied via this hub" but i beileve the switch usb-c is 3.0 usb only which means if you plug it into 2.0 or 1.1 on a pc it won't communicate (if it does anyhow) correctly. Also maybe the switch thinks you are trying to dock it for some unknown reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro