"Perfect Dark" gets a fully playable PC port

images.jpg

Back in October of 2022, we reported that the Perfect Dark decompilation project had reached a completion state of 97%, but according to the developers the decompilation project was basically fully complete. Since then, development of a PC port for the title has been growing steadily, and the port itself has now reached a state in which the game can be finished, as well as split-screen multiplayer working, all with full mouse and keyboard support.

The developer of the port, @fgsfds has been working hard on bringing the PC port in a stable and bug-free state, and currently he only states minor graphical issues, and some occasional crashes, but those are gonna be ironed out down the road.

Here's the current status of the project according to the GitHub repository's ReadMe:
The game is in a mostly functional state, with both singleplayer and split-screen multiplayer modes fully working.
There are minor graphics- and gameplay-related issues, and possibly occasional crashes.

The following extra features are implemented:
  • mouselook;
  • dual analog controller support;
  • widescreen resolution support;
  • configurable field of view;
  • 60 FPS support, including fixes for some framerate-related issues;
  • fixes for a couple original bugs and crashes;
  • basic mod support, currently enough to load a few custom levels;
  • slightly expanded memory heap size.
Currently only 32-bit platforms are supported, namely x86 Windows and Linux.
Note that 32-bit binaries will still work on 64-bit versions of those platforms,though you might have to install some additional libraries.

As with other decompilation projects, the user is required to provide their own copy in ROM format to play the PC port of the title. The port currently supports 32-bit platforms, including both Windows and Linux. It's possible that the 32-bit executable could work on 64-bit machines too.

:arrow: Perfect Dark PC port GitHub repository

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's so great, tho I hope it means higher FOV and better textures (even if this one might take more time, even with OOT there's isn't a lot right now)

I've tried Perfect Dark on N64 at 60FPS with mouse and keyboard and the controls actually felt great for something that's « a hack » really, but I think it's the low fov that gave me nausea (combined with the fact that I was lost)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's always good news when a console-only FPS gets a PC port, MAINLY BECAUSE OF MOUSELOOK!
Definitely playing it on the weekend.
The mouselook makes the game really easy. At least on Agent difficulty so far.

That's so great, tho I hope it means higher FOV and better textures (even if this one might take more time, even with OOT there's isn't a lot right now)
I hope for a mod that adds the XBLA textures to the PC port.

Has anyone figured out how to get fullscreen and/or set resolution options? (EDIT: The settings are in pd.ini)

Last edited by Subtle Demise,
Reactions: x65943

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waiting all these months was worth it.

I'll finally get to play Perfect Dark 64 with proper m/k support and then I'll play the GBC game. The 360 one? Oh god no, that looks like a game made for a TV show and I did try to play it, but I just didn't like it at all.

Reactions: Mike_77712

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The mouselook makes the game really easy. At least on Agent difficulty so far.

I hope for a mod that adds the XBLA textures to the PC port.

Has anyone figured out how to get fullscreen and/or set resolution options? (EDIT: The settings are in pd.ini)
Yeah N64 shooters were kinda designed to be fully playable with at least a single analog stick, so introducing mouse and keyboard controls completely destroys the balance of the game making it super easy even on the highest difficulty.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah N64 shooters were kinda designed to be fully playable with at least a single analog stick, so introducing mouse and keyboard controls completely destroys the balance of the game making it super easy even on the highest difficulty.
Playing FPS games on a DC/N64/PS1 with a single analog stick and use buttons to control the camera never felt right to me, it was an uncomfortable way of playing shooters. Hell, PS1 had dual analog sticks yet its shooters only used one of the analog sticks (there's probably shooters who did use both).

FPS games either need to be played with dual analog sticks or k/m. The latter is infinitely superior.

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Playing FPS games on a DC/N64/PS1 with a single analog stick and use buttons to control the camera never felt right to me, it was an uncomfortable way of playing shooters. Hell, PS1 had dual analog sticks yet its shooters only used one of the analog sticks (there's probably shooters who did use both).

FPS games either need to be played with dual analog sticks or k/m. The latter is infinitely superior.
Well thats a you problem, i never had the issue of going from Dpad shooting on Doom on the SNES, to single stick shooting on Goldeneye 007 on the N64, to Twin Stick shooting on Halo or Call of Duty, to K/m shooting on Doom Eternal on PC and then easily going back to Perfect Dark on the N64 without relative issues. For me, if you're not willing to commit to a game control scheme (unless you're disable) then don't play the game.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well thats a you problem, i never had the issue of going from Dpad shooting on Doom on the SNES, to single stick shooting on Goldeneye 007 on the N64, to Twin Stick shooting on Halo or Call of Duty, to K/m shooting on Doom Eternal on PC and then easily going back to Perfect Dark on the N64 without relative issues. For me, if you're not willing to commit to a game control scheme (unless you're disable) then don't play the game.
You're comparing Doom to Goldeneye?? Doom was a straightforward camera, there was no specific need to point at other than to use the d-pad to move to one place or the other, while with Goldeneye and more advanced fps games you needed to control the camera with the buttons.

Archaic camera controls were bad back then and are even worse now.

Next time make a better comparison than Doom vs Goldeneye, dude.

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

"GiT gUD"
Just because you don't experience problems it somehow leads to "don't play the game." FPS controls on console before Halo exploded onto the scene were consistently ass. Even compared to mkb, dual stick isn't even that great.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully this game sees homebrew ports to consoles next, now that the PC port is mostly complete. Perfect Dark multiplayer with a solid framerate and minimal crashes on Wii U would be a dream come true.

Reactions: L0w

N10A

Her stare burns...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it would be pretty cool if someone rebalanced the difficulty for kbm now that that's a legit control option.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, can't wait for Killer Instinct Gold to get ported with rollback netcode. :P

Never tried perfect dark before, was waiting for Nintendo to hopefully put it on the switch since Banjo-Kazooie and Goldeneye. Guess those licenses aren't coming as fast as I expected them to. :ninja:

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait for cross play multiplayer with ports to pretty much every platform, and Golden Eye stuff added to Perfect Dark. OddJob v Elvis!

Also, I tested it on Linux, and it works perfectly. Should work just fine on Steam Deck.

Reactions: ganons

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids