EDIT: turns out I was wrong. I was confused too, I read the page wrong :(

Last edited by flzmx,

DocAmes1980

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in your progress. I was the man back in the day for ps2 and xbox360 mods. I'm not afraid of a little soldering.

(Plus MK8 has become boring with all the cheating online)

I'll update when I get the new MicroSD card adapter. It doesn't make sense why it would be that as a MicroSD adapter is just a pin converter. I checked the pinout of a MicroSD adapter and I can confirm that DAT0, GND, CLK, and CMD are connected to the correct pads according to the guide on reboot.ms. At this point what @Leeful said makes the most sense. The 3DS hard mod was picky as hell when it came to SD card readers. Maybe the Wii U is the same. It seems like not a lot of people have done this mod. I think @Hikari06 has and @lucasb (I think that was his name) has. Maybe they used a USB SD card reader.

I'd love it if you tried the mod yourself. Bear in mind that the probe points are quite small so you'll want a fine solder tip. I'm decent at soldering but I'm not an expert so I found the DAT0 and CMD points to be a little difficult. The CLK was easy peazy and the GND was not too bad it just required more heat. Go for it. The cost of entry is low if you already have the equipment. An adjustable temp solder station is probably not necessary but I wouldn't have wanted to try without one. Just don't use iFixit's teardown guide as it's next to worthless. Watch Jerry Rig Everything's video on YouTube instead.

Oh, and to run the wires out of the case I used the gap in the case halves that the front rubber tab thingy sticks through (on the right side of the console when horizontal).

Last edited by DocAmes1980,

Hikari06

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
I'll update when I get the new MicroSD card adapter. It doesn't make sense why it would be that as a MicroSD adapter is just a pin converter. I checked the pinout of a MicroSD adapter and I can confirm that DAT0, GND, CLK, and CMD are connected to the correct pads according to the guide on reboot.ms. At this point what @Leeful said makes the most sense. The 3DS hard mod was picky as hell when it came to SD card readers. Maybe the Wii U is the same. It seems like not a lot of people have done this mod. I think @Hikari06 has and @lucasb (I think that was his name) has. Maybe they used a USB SD card reader.

I'd love it if you tried the mod yourself. Bear in mind that the probe points are quite small so you'll want a fine solder tip. I'm decent at soldering but I'm not an expert so I found the DAT0 and CMD points to be a little difficult. The CLK was easy peazy and the GND was not too bad it just required more heat. Go for it. The cost of entry is low if you already have the equipment. An adjustable temp solder station is probably not necessary but I wouldn't have wanted to try without one. Just don't use iFixit's teardown guide as it's next to worthless. Watch Jerry Rig Everything's video on YouTube instead.

Oh, and to run the wires out of the case I used the gap in the case halves that the front rubber tab thingy sticks through (on the right side of the console when horizontal).
I have never managed to make it work, despite trying with 15 different card readers. I would advise caution since the last one I tried (the anker 3.0) apparently has seriously messed up my emmc chip, to the point the wiiu would not even boot anymore.

Reactions: DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never managed to make it work, despite trying with 15 different card readers. I would advise caution since the last one I tried (the anker 3.0) apparently has seriously messed up my emmc chip, to the point the wiiu would not even boot anymore.

Damn. The guide on reboot.ms made it seem like it would work with any card reader. There wasn't a troubleshooting section either so I just thought I'd be able to throw it in a reader and it would work. I think the eMMC didn't like my desktop reader which connects via an internal USB header. It froze on shutdown once and failed to boot twice. I'm going to just stop tempting fate unless I can find more definitive info about this mod. Thank you, you may have saved my Wii U with this info.

So you weren't able to unbrick your Wii U that was bricked from injecting SSL certificates?

Last edited by DocAmes1980,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Damn internets dragging like a dogs ass +1