Hacking Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - English Translation

Peduls

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't PSP2i run at 30 FPS in both single and multiplayer? I was playing PSP2 with some friends earlier and it drops down from 30 to 20 while in a group. I know 30 FPS isn't great but it's where I draw the line 20 FPS just looks horrible. I've tried using the force 30 FPS CWCHEAT, but as is mentioned in the post above it causes major bugs and issues with buff durations and recharge rates. In any case I am very excited to see this project come to fruition and have been following the project for quite some time. As a guy with zero understanding of the Japanese language, I am extremely grateful for you guys and your hard work! Thank you!

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Dont use 60fps cwcheat on a game was designed to be run at 30fps
It will mess up lots of stuff like buffs duration, poison/venom, etc. It will even mess up enemies' attacks (glitching and stuff)

Thanks, I'll try to test those. Kinda hard since a lot will be by memory, but I played these games way too much.

Nessly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did anyone toyed with 60 FPS patches? Today I found this: https://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=4799&pid=127876#pid127876
I don't remember trying the older version on PSP2 specifically, but at least this works, and damn, can't remember the game felling this smooth. It however doesn't work on PSP2i, despite the similarities. I'll give it a spin before anything, but I hope that's just a adresss change between games.

Here it is. No need for the header on PPSSPP. Can be changed on the fly if you want to test.
Code:
_S ULUS-10529
_G Phantasy Star Portable 2
_C1 60fps
_L 0x00630B6C 0x00000001
_L 0x20662FF4 0x42700000
_L 0x20662FF8 0x0000003C
_L 0x20662FFC 0x3F800000
_L 0x20663000 0x00000001
_L 0x20663004 0x3F000000
_L 0x20663008 0x3C888889
_C0 30fps
_L 0x00630B6C 0x00000002
_L 0x20662FF4 0x41F00000
_L 0x20662FF8 0x0000001E
_L 0x20662FFC 0x40000000
_L 0x20663000 0x00000002
_L 0x20663004 0x3F800000
_L 0x20663008 0x3D088889

Thanks for sharing that Fefo! It works beautifuly (even when playing online multiplayer with others who weren't using the patch). I didn't time the buff/debuff durations to check that, but everything else seems to be working perfectly including dodges.

As a big +, menus are much faster to navigate now.

Demonstration of 60fps multiplayer:

Last edited by Nessly,
Reactions: CathyRina

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I haven't noticed anything different while saving, but sometimes the game (PSPo) locks for a few seconds. Dunno if it's even because of the cheat, as I never emulated it for too long.

The menu, palette and "walking" on PSPo shops were also done at each frame, as shown by the speedup. Palette browsing gets a little funky sometimes, but it's worth the trouble. The best improvement besides the obvious is input delay to me; for the longest time I wanted to play again on PSP just to know if I was crazy.

Just popped a megistaride and it lasted exactly 2 minutes, so perfect. Tested with a burn at both speeds and same ammont of ticks. When I play again I'll check the debuffs, as it fells like they last crazy long but that's probably poor memory.

We must find a way to enable 60 FPS on PSP2i. If that could happen, I'd die happy. Lol

So far I'm testing - a poor excuse to replay the first game - but since PSP2i is far more similar to PSP2 than PSP2 is to PSPo, and the improved code was leveraged from the first, it should be just different addresses. No idea of how to make sense of what's what, but when I get to it I'll try.

If you can't wait there's how to do these on that forum. At the very worst your chance is as good as mine :P

DangerX

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Yo everybody, this might be my first post but I've been watching your guys progress from time to time, now I sign up to give you a hand (if is not to late)
I'm an amateur hacker, that means I know a few stuff about it, mostly I can beta test the game, I'm looking forward to play this translation, is there any patch available right now, sorry but I can't afford right now to read all your messages.
If anyone wants to see my hacker progress visit romhacking.net and search for Danger X, not like I'm a pro or anything like that but I like doing hacks.
Anyway I'm here if anyone wants to speak with me, also I will be looking into this topic messages a bit later.

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jam has told me that he's been preoccupied with work still.
I think that realistically this project will remain mostly stagnant for the foreseeable future until his situation slows down so he has free time to work on this.
It's unfortunate but that's just how it is, real life takes precedence over this.

As for looking for outside help, it's not that easy because the issues that remain are complicated, not just anyone can take over.
I'll post again when there is a change in the situation so there's no need to ask if there is progress, since I just can't offer you that right now.
Once there is progress I'll be the happiest person of all and let you guys know.

If you're really itching for a game to play, how about trying Cuphead? That's a pretty fun game. And tomorrow Grim Dawn's expansion will be released, perhaps that'll scratch your ARPG hankering.

Mage-Andrey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Want to ask whether it is possible to make a mini translation, as in weapons/techniques/passives/menus translated, with monster, mission and dialogue left in Japanese. Or technical issues prevent even that?

Last edited by Mage-Andrey,

zxelman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Want to ask whether it is possible to make a mini translation, as in weapons/techniques/passives/menus translated, with monster, mission and dialogue left in Japanese. Or technical issues prevent even that?

Technical issues or not, I doubt they'd want to go through the trouble of doing that. It's pretty much complete patch or bust.

Mage-Andrey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Considering the project is 3 years old already i'd rather play with some parts translated than wait another 3-5 years, especially considering that afaik majority of the translation is done, there's just issues implementing it. Another thing is that i don't see the harm in it. If the version showed in the 1st page (by MrFwibbles) is stable - it's more than enough for me.

Last edited by Mage-Andrey,

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Considering the project is 3 years old already i'd rather play with some parts translated than wait another 3-5 years, especially considering that afaik majority of the translation is done, there's just issues implementing it. Another thing is that i don't see the harm in it. If the version showed in the 1st page (by MrFwibbles) is stable - it's more than enough for me.

Sorry bro, it's their choice. Why release something half done when you can release the full thing even if it takes longer? When working on the Overworld translation a lot of people asked for a menu patch, but we knew if we did that no one would download the final release. So instead we just held on and waited until a final release to be made.

zxelman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

We all have been waiting a long time too. I'd love something to play with to show after this long too. But the project is already a huge undertaking as it is. You may not see a harm in it, but it'd still be more work for those involved. If they want to do it, then of course that's up to them, but I'd rather they focus their efforts fixing the bugs since that's been the main obstacle to release the complete patch. We've already waited 3 years, I think at this point you should know we have other things we can do.

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Patch will only be released when it's finished, that won't change.
Small or big patch doesn't matter since it's about compressing the files back into the ISO, and Jam just isn't around for this right now as explained above.
Crashman has a very valid point too, but we've gone over that before. :)

I don't like the delays either and I'd really like to see this finished and published, but that's just how it is.

Temeraire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've waited how many years for this, and to hear all that's holding it back are bugs, is both satisfying (it's come so far) and frustrating (i hate how the little things are keeping me from the completed version of what i consider to be the PSPs magnum opus.).

either way, you people are doing amazing work, and though it's been years since i've posted, i have not stopped watching.

Reactions: Weyu

StormRyder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[insert cliche encouraging words here]

srsly tho i still have high hopes for this and while a partial release might be nice, i also understand it could in itself be much more work for people who already have their hands full. so i for one am still willing to wait patiently for you to perfect whatever you want, just please PLEASE don't give up!! all the best! :yaypsp:

Merik2013

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm holding out hope that JamRules can find time away from his busy life over the holidays in order to finish this patch. It sounds like its pretty close to done. There just seems to be some coding hang ups holding it up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi