Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It depends on what adapter u use the cheap ones without 4 anchors always give u isusse specially on warm dayse or when u use it in the docking station , me personally never have used them but I read about a lot of problems from installers and I talked to a few whom have already have problem .
Plus u only push it in and don't really make a proper connection.
U cannot compare it with other flexes since all other rather have a proper soldering or at least a proper connector to it.

Now let's be honest 10 min more work ain't gonna hurt u since a installer already charges 100-150 bucks he should take that time and not do a half as job .

Does anyone here has actual experience with dat0 adapters? I cant undertand how is it possible for a flex cable to bend from temperatures that touch, lets say, about 100 C max on an emmc chip. The flex cables are meant to withstand much much higher temps. You can even solder on them. I fix lot of stuff including smartphones and i have experience with other flex cables and soldering connectors on them. Also i have made some switch oleds all with dat0 adapters and even after 6 months all work ok. Dont get me wrong the reballing is the best method to go but why waste more time ( when we all know that time is money) on a job when the dat0 adapters dont bend...

snaker

Trophies
Website
biohazard-era.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
As with everything else from China, it's a hit or miss. There are companies which are quite serious about their work and care about their long term reputation and then there are those who try to make a quick buck from someone else’s design/work.
As we discussed here earlier there are quite a few dat0 models and some are better than others and some are right down disaster waiting to happen (see @Phantomas77 post here).
Ok now that is another story. The 4 anchor adapters that i have used are not like that. I just try to point all these mislead information that adapters bend from heat. If the adapter is a cheap one i dont know, but a good flex cable doesnt bend from an emmc chip heat...

Here is what i use

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-19 15-32-12.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-19 15-32-12.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 41

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok now that is another story. The 4 anchor adapters that i have used are not like that. I just try to point all these mislead information that adapters bend from heat. If the adapter is a cheap one i dont know, but a good flex cable doesnt bend from an emmc chip heat...

Here is what i use
See so u can't assume that all ones are good and most of the time people order cheap ones or the kit has cheap dat0 adaptor.
Every installer I know takes these 10 minutes to give there customer what they paid for :-)

Beaver_27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hi i tried to do the install but it's giving me a blue then white led and boots to ofw. The rp2040 is on 2.67. It's an oled and i don't have the ribbons for the fan and the left/right joycon rails, but I don't think that should be a probelm.

Attachments

• 20230519_164247.jpg
    20230519_164247.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 41

tsukimaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nicaragua
yes, the indication has been changed recently.

please record the issue on video
Post automatically merged:

once sources are made public it is easy to make firmware with broken update feature (or even fw that burns your CPU).
I try to maintain brick-free update flow, so even if you flash incompatible or bugged firmware, it just reverts back
yes, the indication has been changed recently.

please record the issue on video

once sources are made public it is easy to make firmware with broken update feature (or even fw that burns your CPU).
I try to maintain brick-free update flow, so even if you flash incompatible or bugged firmware, it just reverts back
Here it is. I press the power button and it attempts to show the light on the LED for a split second but then it goes out and starts blinking but the startup sequence on the switch goes as normal

Attachments

• VID_20230519_081944_546.mp4
    3.4 MB
  • VID_20230519_081933_985.mp4
    3.4 MB

EAGLE-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Hello, this is my case, I spent 3 days reading and I can't find additional information, we installed this chip in a 100% new OLED, the machine worked about 5 times until I reached the joycon configuration menu, then it gave the error in the photographs When I opened it, the chip just turned on blue and I did not enter hetake anymore, the chip was removed, all the points were checked, I changed the resistance that everyone mentions in different cases and nothing, 2 times it gave purple screen but now it does not turn on everything, what else can we do? Was the chip that damaged a 100% new machine? We have installed the old chips and no problem, now we don't know what to do if we install these chips? How can we try to repair this machine? It is 100% new and so after 5 times that it turned on well, it no longer works, I appreciate all the help

NOTE:i cant update those chips,seller say they already have in the latest version,but still,PC dont see then

Attachments

• 346150417_1416299662539377_4927314260713132787_n.jpg
    346150417_1416299662539377_4927314260713132787_n.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 346150683_767549168371854_6761372035811107184_n.jpg
    346150683_767549168371854_6761372035811107184_n.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 346151621_974165310434825_2755650495420623995_n.jpg
    346151621_974165310434825_2755650495420623995_n.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 22
  • oled.jpeg
    oled.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 42

rehius

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here it is. I press the power button and it attempts to show the light on the LED for a split second but then it goes out and starts blinking but the startup sequence on the switch goes as normal
This is a new type of error indication, yellow blinks.

please download a fixed 2.72 version from the main post

jv_233

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi i tried to do the install but it's giving me a blue then white led and boots to ofw. The rp2040 is on 2.67. It's an oled and i don't have the ribbons for the fan and the left/right joycon rails, but I don't think that should be a probelm.
You need to show pictures of your solder joints, not just a front pic of the chip on the switch. It’s like trying to diagnose car problems with the hood down…

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And here's a fourth kill :(. OLED installation gives purple color, and doesn't turn on when the modchip is removed. While installing I accidentally removed the 3v3 pad. Could that be the reason?

View attachment 372433

Bro how are u killing all these switches :-(

Check ur soldering , everywhere also on the apu caps where the flex cables are connected.

EAGLE-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
since that is OLED, you could damage DAT0 point

purple is NS can't read BCTs, which usually means damaged eMMC points, examine CMD, CLK, DAT0 pads
thanks rehius,thanks for your answer, remember that the console worked perfectly 5 times, I was able to enter the joycon menu because it is a 100% new machine, how is it possible then that if the machine worked well 5 times with the point that you say damaged? the DAT0 point, another thing, at this point the console does not turn on at all and we already changed the resistance that several posts mention here, what can we do? What do you recommend I review step by step? Why can't I update those chips? I appreciate the help

NOTE:we have that exact same problem,but right now console wont turn on,this video show how repair,we do but no work

Reactions: everyonesweird

rehius

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the DAT0 point, another thing, at this point the console does not turn on at all and we already changed the resistance that several posts mention here, what can we do?
if you use DAT0 adapter, it could shift a little, shorting neighbour pins

Why can't I update those chips?
probably you insert the flat cable in opposite direction, you can probe USB lines right to the rp2040 pins with multimeter to ensure the pinout is correct

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thanks rehius,thanks for your answer, remember that the console worked perfectly 5 times, I was able to enter the joycon menu because it is a 100% new machine, how is it possible then that if the machine worked well 5 times with the point that you say damaged? the DAT0 point, another thing, at this point the console does not turn on at all and we already changed the resistance that several posts mention here, what can we do? What do you recommend I review step by step? Why can't I update those chips? I appreciate the help

NOTE:we have that exact same problem,but right now console wont turn on,this video show how repair,we do but no work

Ahhh ur talking about purple screen I understood purple led.

Purple screen is cmd resistor issue , recheck connection if everything is fine check the resistor if its damaged it is a 4,7k resistor.

Purple screen will be fixed after fixing cmd resitor

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bro how are u killing all these switches :-(

Check ur soldering , everywhere also on the apu caps where the flex cables are connected.

Are u using cheap flex cables from Ali?
If so wouldn't wonder me if ur problem is there
@LogicalMadness
Had also purple lights and the issue was the flex cable.
He sder the MOSFETs of installed them without flex and tada everything worked fine
That's what I get for doing the job meant for professionals. I'm learning though.

This recent OLED won't even turn on after removing all wires, I re-soldered a 3v3 cap from another OLED. still nothing. The USB Meter shows 15v and 0.47amps. Any ideas brother?

voidz9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Hello, this is my case, I spent 3 days reading and I can't find additional information, we installed this chip in a 100% new OLED, the machine worked about 5 times until I reached the joycon configuration menu, then it gave the error in the photographs When I opened it, the chip just turned on blue and I did not enter hetake anymore, the chip was removed, all the points were checked, I changed the resistance that everyone mentions in different cases and nothing, 2 times it gave purple screen but now it does not turn on everything, what else can we do? Was the chip that damaged a 100% new machine? We have installed the old chips and no problem, now we don't know what to do if we install these chips? How can we try to repair this machine? It is 100% new and so after 5 times that it turned on well, it no longer works, I appreciate all the help

NOTE:i cant update those chips,seller say they already have in the latest version,but still,PC dont see then
got the same board. also cant update via the usb. updated via picofly toolbox

Reactions: EAGLE-1

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's what I get for doing the job meant for professionals. I'm learning though.

This recent OLED won't even turn on after removing all wires, I re-soldered a 3v3 cap from another OLED. still nothing. The USB Meter shows 15v and 0.47amps. Any ideas brother?

disconnect battery and check with the USB pulls when u try to turn it on. 0.47 is def charging.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: