• 58acea0d60f87969e2975f08f2618f759db0abc2_2_667x500.png
    58acea0d60f87969e2975f08f2618f759db0abc2_2_667x500.png
    36 KB · Views: 64

JackFrostSMT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tested the XIAO seeed rp2040 with 2.6? Digikey sells for around $5 which is slightly worse than Aliexpress but better than Amazons outrageous $15

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The temp differences will be minimal for such a small TDP chip. Just ensure its at least mid range (deepcool MX3/4/5 etc), only ones worth replacing are the cpu die to shield and shield to heatpipe/heatsink. The pink junk to the rf shield isnt necessary to replace as the rf shield doesnt have enough mass to really help with cooling anyway.
The switch being such a small TDP cpu, the ROI of more expensive paste isnt there. The temp differences of more expensive pastes are only really noticeable on larger TDP packages.

Just ensure whatever paste you use isnt electrically conductive!
Example Arctic Silver. If you use a paste thats electrically conductive, any overflow on the cpu die will cause shorting on the caps etc.

Source: Myself, long term semi-competitive pc overclocker and console restorer/repairer.
Perfect, suspicions confirmed. I'll stick to the MX4 on the Switchs and save the new MX6 for the bigger stuff.

I'll also now start replacing the pink stuff with cheap thermal pads JUST for a cleaner reassembly\future disassembly. Even though I'm w\ you on it being nigh pointless (clients get picky).

What about removing the copper tape (?) from the shielding altogether? Less layers equals better, correct?

FueledSamantha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
unlocked picofly does not rewrite the preloader (unless it's completely broken), people asked for that to be able to use sdloader from the hwfly, for example.
Does this mean updating picofly in future we can use sdloader from toolbox?
is this a planned implementation in a future release or currently existing in 2.5?

Thank you for your great work, I really enjoyed the install!
Post automatically merged:

Perfect, suspicions confirmed. I'll stick to the MX4 on the Switchs and save the new MX6 for the bigger stuff.

I'll also now start replacing the pink stuff with cheap thermal pads JUST for a cleaner reassembly\future disassembly. Even though I'm w\ you on it being nigh pointless (clients get picky).

What about removing the copper tape (?) from the shielding altogether? Less layers equals better, correct?
I just smoosh the pink junk back into a lump and reapply rf shield, but a correctly sized pad will also work fine for the picky customers who are opening the hardware that they paid you to work on? xD

Honestly I would leave that in place, its a small die and the wifi/bt modules are fairly close to it so interference is highly likely, it also helps alleviate hot spots in the die by having a nice thermal spreader (same reason desktop cpu's have heat spreaders on top of their die's to compensate for poor application of thermal paste).

• Love
Reactions: LogicalMadness

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean updating picofly in future we can use sdloader from toolbox?
is this a planned implementation in a future release or currently existing in 2.5?

Thank you for your great work, I really enjoyed the install!
Post automatically merged:

I just smoosh the pink junk back into a lump and reapply rf shield, but a correctly sized pad will also work fine for the picky customers who are opening the hardware that they paid you to work on? xD

Honestly I would leave that in place, its a small die and the wifi/bt modules are fairly close to it so interference is highly likely, it also helps alleviate hot spots in the die by having a nice thermal spreader (same reason desktop cpu's have heat spreaders on top of their die's to compensate for poor application of thermal paste).
Meh, for me, replacing the pink w\ pads is at least TRYING to stay near OG engineering. Lol, I actually JUST had my 1st client do that to me w\ an OGXB, "I always open my stuff to check it after".

K, back to re-taping the copper pads that come off then. Thanks.

Also through this little exchange, I'm now settled on leaving the APU\RAM shielding alone and cutting the metal backplate (for modchips, PZero so small!) instead. FYI, just for a little extra piece of mind, I add thermal pads to the emmc\Wifi IC\RAM, 1mm I think.

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
SW_lite.jpg
2.6 Alpha works fine on my lite + RP2040.
The only thing I've noticed:
After a few uf2 flashes, the led doesn't shine red anymore.
It stays off after an uf2 copy.
But anything else seems to work.

Thanks rehius! :yayswitch:

edit:
I've used 40 AWG (0.1mm) for everything.

Last edited by swutch,

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
nah RST isn't working for me. I keep getting light purple error and the other connections are good
I assume you have a v1 board, here is RST alternative solder point. It's on top of those 2 resistor, gold test points(both 2 same)

Attachments

• PXL_20230405_223921566~2.jpg
    PXL_20230405_223921566~2.jpg
    918.5 KB · Views: 69

GarnetSunset

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone got any tips? I'm trying to get a test boot out of this rp2040, I can get to the "no sd card" screen/could not init sd screen, I can't get into hekate! The resistors are 47r (yes I plan on either getting lil guys or an all in one board), basically black screen where hekate should be

Attachments

• IMG20230405224526.jpg
    IMG20230405224526.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: