Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

shado214

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That looks like CYAN light (glitch failure), you should see OFW booting there. My damaged Lite also gave blue screen instead of OFW, so looks like you have similar hardware issues.
Post automatically merged:

SDA & SCL are optional, for those who have issues with glitch reliability (single mosfet, too thin wires, glitch works only by pressing RST during console boot). You can do the hack the same way as you did before
Hey, might be answered already but I couldn't find an asnwer as this thread is huge. I installed a xiao rp2040 on a Switch Lite and I get an unstable glitch and boot to OFW. It only works when I press the reset. I added the SDA and SCL but I still get the same problem but now I don't get past the Nintendo logo. Am I dumb, or am I not wiring the wires correctly? According to the guide I have to solder a wire for SDA, SCL to pin 3 and 4 and that should be on the D0 resistor and CPU pads respectively.

Although my soldering is not best probably, I'm still experienced enough to know if its not done correctly as I regularly fix smd components on Switches. I've installed picofly on 10 switches and never had an issue but I can't figure this one out for the life of me!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rehius

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
and that should be on the D0 resistor and CPU pads respectively.
xiao.png

• Wow
Reactions: jkyoho

Vigintiduo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok I reworked a bit on the V1 that was giving me problems and now I can get to boot into hekate but like only once!
After that, I get =*== error (eMMC test failure - read failed) and the console just boots into stock.
If I detach the battery for a while and the try again, the same behaviour occurs (hekate first boot, then always stock with =*== error)
Diode readings look good. I installed with the mosfet on the back of the motherboard.

What do I have to check here?

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I had some flux into the connector.After cleaning it with cotton and alcohool (very carefully) it wont even glitch when i am putting pressure on the connector XD
Rather than dirt on the connector, in some cases problems like these relate to the connector coming loose from the PCB Usually the motherboard rather than the emmc board.
If you have a spare/working emmc board then you could use that to test whether it's the emmc board.
Sometimes just reflowing it solves the issue.
If not, removing it for a visual inspection might be an idea.
There might be a small crack in the trace under the connector.
Everything is so tiny that it's easy to apply too much force when removing/adding the emmc board.

Twiggs4625

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The source code is in here:
https://github.com/abal1000x/usk
branch 'abal_version'
But theres no 'releases', i just too lazy to set it up.

I attach the last build (v200.75), yesterday i update the installation on my brother oled with this firmware.

I also build and attach the v2.76 rehius code, which still not yet on the 'releases'.

Are these firmware updates compatible with all of these styles of PicoFly's from Aliexpress? Just want to make sure because I would like to flash them. Better to flash prior to installing them? Thanks.

Attachments

• hwfly_rp_2040_oled_hack_switch_2023.jpeg
    hwfly_rp_2040_oled_hack_switch_2023.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 28

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Are these firmware updates compatible with all of these styles of PicoFly's from Aliexpress? Just want to make sure because I would like to flash them. Better to flash prior to installing them? Thanks.
I don't know, as long they didn't change the pinout, it might work.

I am pretty sure it works, though.
Hwfly team is excellent, i am sure they didn't change the pin so the buyer could use the original firmware. They might change the resistance value on cmd/clk/dat0, which we in here also changing according to our own experience.

Last edited by abal1000x,
Reactions: Dee87 and Marax

Marax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yesterday I got a new board from a donor switch and it worked great. I’ve soldered the Chip in and it Booted to hekate I did an Emmc Backup and a Prodkey backup. Then I booted to ofw all worked great. But now if I go to the emmc section in hekate it says it’s in slow mode and I can’t boot the sysnand anymore. Maybe the flex is not connected perfetctly anymore because I’m using the AliExpress rp2040 lite with flex cable.

IMG_4515.jpeg

IMG_4517.jpeg

IMG_4518.jpeg

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yesterday I got a new board from a donor switch and it worked great. I’ve soldered the Chip in and it Booted to hekate I did an Emmc Backup and a Prodkey backup. Then I booted to ofw all worked great. But now if I go to the emmc section in hekate it says it’s in slow mode and I can’t boot the sysnand anymore. Maybe the flex is not connected perfetctly anymore because I’m using the AliExpress rp2040 lite with flex cable.

View attachment 398553
View attachment 398554
View attachment 398555

If u have slow mode issues add another 47 ohm resistor to dat0 and cmd.

Now since u have a hwfly board ur gonna find out wich resistor is for DAT 0 and which one is for cmd.

Do u really think they would write there own code for the picofly ?

Hahahahaha

Reactions: Marax

Marax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Now since u have a hwfly board ur gonna find out wich resistor is for DAT 0 and which one is for cmd.

Hahahahaha

Hahahahaha

You really think that’s the issue? Couldn’t it be my soldering? Because first I could backup the nand and boot ofw trough hekate with no problems. Now OFW doesn’t want to boot and atmosphere gives error with emmc

Are there some 47ohm ones on the switch lite board I can take from my donor board? Or maybe from a RP2040 normal size one?

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Rather than dirt on the connector, in some cases problems like these relate to the connector coming loose from the PCB Usually the motherboard rather than the emmc board.
If you have a spare/working emmc board then you could use that to test whether it's the emmc board.
Sometimes just reflowing it solves the issue.
If not, removing it for a visual inspection might be an idea.
There might be a small crack in the trace under the connector.
Everything is so tiny that it's easy to apply too much force when removing/adding the emmc board.

Naaa I would say its the emmc board , since its glued to the WiFi cover , if u don't take it off properly that changes are very high that u bend the emmc board and damage the solder balls.

Try pressing on the emmc itself if that doesn't work reflow the emmc.

You really think that’s the issue? Couldn’t it be my soldering? Because first I could backup the nand and boot ofw trough hekate with no problems. Now OFW doesn’t want to boot

Dude if u don't wanna trust answers from the forum then don't ask.

Reactions: twins333 and Marax

rehius

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are dozens of Chinese trying to be better and sell higher, absolutely no such thing as "the only amazing Hwfly team". For example, some mysterious guy have asked me to change the "picofly" picture with a rocket one for a really high price. Although I refused to do that (what a dumb thing), some time later "rocket" picoflies appeared on Aliexpress. wtf with those people

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are dozens of Chinese trying to be better and sell higher, absolutely no such thing as "the only amazing Hwfly team". For example, some mysterious guy have asked me to change the "picofly" picture with a rocket one for a really high price. Although I refused to do that (what a dumb thing), some time later "rocket" picoflies appeared on Aliexpress. wtf with those people

That's crazy man.

I know not all Chinese are bad and trying to take advantage of everything.

That's why I don't really support people who buy those hwfly rp2040 and clones.

This was a community project which u and others made possible.

A few days after the open Firmware got released the Hwfly chips went from 150 $to 30$

Then they disappeared for a couple weeks.

Then All the sudden u see rp2040 all over aliexpress.

With preflashed picofly firmware there making money off of something they stole.

That's why I always say buy the zero/tiny supported boards and not the clones.

That way people know what they get and don't support those thieves.

Reactions: Kiuxn

Vigintiduo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok I reworked a bit on the V1 that was giving me problems and now I can get to boot into hekate but like only once!
After that, I get =*== error (eMMC test failure - read failed) and the console just boots into stock.
If I detach the battery for a while and the try again, the same behaviour occurs (hekate first boot, then always stock with =*== error)
Diode readings look good. I installed with the mosfet on the back of the motherboard.

What do I have to check here?

For anyone in the future with the same problem, I'm not completely sure why and how, but it appears that the problem was the mosfet. I reworked it using a little less solder and now it's all working like a charm.

Maybe it was shorting after a normal heat cycle, but this is just my take

Marax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Naaa I would say its the emmc board , since its glued to the WiFi cover , if u don't take it off properly that changes are very high that u bend the emmc board and damage the solder balls.

Try pressing on the emmc itself if that doesn't work reflow the emmc.

Dude if u don't wanna trust answers from the forum then don't ask.
Sorry i just wanted to sort things out because of the desaster last time with the Board. Thank you for your help man! Next time i will use a normal Pico Zero from Waveshare.

This time i have a Nand Backup BOOT1 and BOOT2 and Keys...

I started into hekate and this time no error with EMMC. I tried launching OFW But i got Nintendo Logo then Blackscreen i forced a shut down and started it again and got Nintendo Logo (no hekate) then off again and got a Bluescreen ... I nearly got an Heart attack.... I powered it down and started it up with no SD Card and got Picofly Logo. Then i removed both Flex Cables from the Pico and powered it back on and it started up normally... Puhhhh my heart fell. I thought i messed it up again. Now im waiting for the 47Ohms resistors i bought 0603 and 0805 just in case. But im not sure how to fit them onto the chip. i can see the traces but i need to cut off the trace after the first 47ohms one and solder mine inbetween its so tiny... Do i need the second 47 ohm capacitor because of the Samsung EMMC?

IMG_4528.jpeg

IMG_4527.jpeg

My soldering doesn’t look that clean this time…

IMG_8376.jpeg

IMG_8378.jpeg

Last edited by Marax,

Vigintiduo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry i just wanted to sort things out because of the desaster last time with the Board. Thank you for your help man! Next time i will use a normal Pico Zero from Waveshare.

This time i have a Nand Backup BOOT1 and BOOT2 and Keys...

I started into hekate and this time no error with EMMC. I tried launching OFW But i got Nintendo Logo then Blackscreen i forced a shut down and started it again and got Nintendo Logo (no hekate) then off again and got a Bluescreen ... I nearly got an Heart attack.... I powered it down and started it up with no SD Card and got Picofly Logo. Then i removed both Flex Cables from the Pico and powered it back on and it started up normally... Puhhhh my heart fell. I thought i messed it up again. Now im waiting for the 47Ohms resistors i bought 0603 and 0805 just in case. But im not sure how to fit them onto the chip. i can see the traces but i need to cut off the trace after the first 47ohms one and solder mine inbetween its so tiny... Do i need the second 47 ohm capacitor because of the Samsung EMMC?

View attachment 398627

View attachment 398628

My soldering doesn’t look that clean this time…

View attachment 398630
View attachment 398631
Honestly the flex cable with the A, D, 3.3v, and GND, connections is absolute trash and you'd be better off with flying 0.1mm cables for those three lines and 0.2mm for 3.3v and gnd.
That way you can also solder the resistors directly on the points on the chip, without cutting lines or doing some crazy small soldering

Reactions: Dee87 and Marax

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
What about the new 17.0.0 firmware?

I've read that switch doesn't boot with picofly. No picofly logo.

OFW seems work.

Hwfly and instinct not tested yet.

just tested, even with hekate 6.0.6 bin, rp2040 glitch on HOS 17.0.0 NO issue.
glitching and CFW support is totally different thing, Too many misleading concept around

Last edited by jkyoho,

zorusgb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
If its easy for you to update the firmware, try the latest firmware available (2.75)

Theres issue on powering down the picofly, that has been fixed.

Or you could try my custom firmware, i have different opinion on the picofly sram power down mechanism. Might be correct, might be not. Risk on your own.
Does your custom FW support SDA and SCL on XIAO RP2040? Which pins if it does? The current AIO guide has those wrong as pins 3 and 4.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1