• Start date
  • Views 15,774
  • Replies 157

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
listen i'm not trying to judge, but i do have to put a foot in when a person tries to justify stealing games

To steal a material possesion needs to be removed from it's 'rightful' owner. Piracy is not theft, and it isn't dealt with as theft in the courts.

You steal a game (shoplift it), and the shopkeeper is deprived of the game. Copy a game and that same game is still sat on the shelf.

No matter how much you want to "support the developers", claiming piracy is theft is not the way to go about it.

Copyright Theft - The Biggest Misnomer of the 20th Century.

As for the discussion regarding preowned - secondhand games are no-better than pirate copies (except the black economy isn't being funded), which is why most publishers are against them.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
well i live in Tanzania and here we don't even have a gba for sale as far as i know.Piracy well obviously, he who still has some good in him will not want to go for something bad.The publishers i believe don't mind much if there is piracy or else strong rules would be made to ban it.Why make an R4 in the first place when you know that most people are using it to give us (the publishers) a loss. As far as i can deduce, if the company is getting all or its targeted sales then you would not be harming them. That way you would have to be thankful to the other buyers because its due to them that you can play a game normally.BY the way, i have no means of getting a R4 (i have the slight idea of what it is) so emulator is my way so they should even ban emulators because it also encourages piracy rite?
Finally, about pre-owned games, i think its just like the rom bit whereby they know its harmful for publishers but they don't care and they can live to it. If Nintendo or any other company announce that no one should play roms on R4 (if thats what it is for) or on pc etc... then would u have the heart to stop it because now you know they don't want it (i certainly would
wink.gif
). The only reason to play backups is if the company suffers no LOSS but when it does.. leave it.
Hope i get a DS and leave this rom business

moloko23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
one day, i'll have a real job able to pay for what i play... i hope

The problem is once you have a real job to pay for all the games you want to play you won't have time to play the games anymore since you need to work for your "real" job LOL

Guilty? Why? My parents have givin such a large amount of money to Nintendo since the launch of the NES. A pirated game here and there won't kill Nintendo or the developers...

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Nope, no guilt whatsoever. Just donate whatever money you save to a charity or something if you feel bad. Better than going to a big faceless company.Â
smile.gif

Exactly. We're talking about corporations that exploit people on a massive scale. Nintendo isn't the big fluffy company lots of gamers like to imagine it is.

Read Game Over : How Nintendo Conquered The World by David Sheff.

I'll feel guilty about 'piracy' when they (all corporations) feel some remorse at the state of the planet & society that they are directly and indirectly responsible for. Until then I'll give my money to worthy causes.
that just isn't the point, although I do like the way nintendo operates most of the time, and greatly prefer them over their competitors, I'll still support any developers who make a game I want.

thats how simple it should be, don't try to justify your theft because of their ethics.
as corny as it is, two wrongs don't make a right.

bfoos

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No guilt here. I've been a hardcore intellectual property thief for almost 15 years now and have no intentions of stopping or trying to justify it. It's stealing and I don't care. I've purchased 3 games in the last 2 years. Gran Turismo 4 because I didn't have a mod-chip nor a dual layer DVD burner and didn't want to mess with rips to load with my exploit, and MKDS and NSMB because I love both games and wanted the actual carts and manuals. I never pay for music and have only purchased 2 movies in the last few years, Star Wars and LOTR:SEE box sets because they are awesome. Oh and I'm going to buy a PSP game just for the simple fact that I need a UMD for those games that won't play from the memstick without one in the drive.

Harr me mateys!
pirate.gif

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
don't try to justify your theft because of their ethics.
as corny as it is, two wrongs don't make a right.

I can't justify my theft, as I haven't stolen anything.

I can however justify my copyright infringmenet. And I will/do. If I didn't pirate it there is absolutely no way I would buy it - I would much rather do without.

Corporations are shit. Two wrongs can make a right.

Take action, take back control of your lives - live for pleasure not for profit..

mavis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When I bought my DS a year ago, I chose it over the PSP solely because it was easier to play downloaded games on it ... Therefore, when I download games I don't feel even the least bit guilty, in my case Nintendo came out ahead because of piracy; if I hadn't been able to play pirated software on the DS, I never would've bought either of my two DS phats, my DS Lite, not to mention all of the genuine accessories that I've accumulated in the past year.

Besides, I can't even FIND the games I want to play here in Japan, because no one sells English version games over here. Not my problem that developers are too shortsighted to release games in several languages at once rather than having sixteen different versions of Super Mario Bros, etc ...
wink.gif

mavis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh yeah, I actually BUY music that I really like (in addition to downloading it en masse) and I buy a ton of DVDs too. On the other hand, I download quite a bit as well (I have about 800 DVDs in my collection, probably

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
When I was a little kid, I used to throw pennies into fountains and off of my favorite bridge and wish that I could have every Nintendo game ever...

...now I can, so why should I feel guilty?

rofl2.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

zone97

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I feel guilty, guilty that I didn't start earlier. Man all the allowance I could have saved just by ripping games.

My true feelings.... I feel that if the industry let software (including console games) out for a rediculously low price, then they would sell more and no one would pirate... Case in point..

Sell 50 games at $50 gets you $2,500
Sell 5000 games at $5 gets you $25,000

Who pirates a $5 game? Homeless people would buy a $5 game... Make the consoles low also. You will sell more units and have less people pirating it. Pirating only comes from people who rather not spend $39 - $59 per program. If they could get the same item for $5 they would.

Companies listen up... Want to stamp out piracy... LOWER YOUR F'N PRICES.....
smile.gif
$500 for a gaming console is stupid. Most people don't pay that much for a car pament, health insurance, hookers.. ect...

When people steal, and I mean robbery. What do they get...

High dollar items, fancy cars, big screen tv's jewlery... If they are not selling it for cash, then they steal it because they what..... "CAN'T AFFORD IT".... Who steals a pento.... NO ONE..... There cheap.. you can't give them away.. Cheap items don't get stolen... OR pirated.....

Who would rip a DVD if when you spent your $30 for you and a date to go see the movie, they offered you the movie on DVD for $1... hummm no one.. they got their money from the box office sales, you get to keep the movie. everyone wins....

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I feel guilty, guilty that I didn't start earlier. Man all the allowance I could have saved just by ripping games.

My true feelings.... I feel that if the industry let software (including console games) out for a rediculously low price, then they would sell more and no one would pirate... Case in point..

Sell 50 games at $50 gets you $2,500
Sell 5000 games at $5 gets you $25,000

Who pirates a $5 game? Homeless people would buy a $5 game... Make the consoles low also. You will sell more units and have less people pirating it. Pirating only comes from people who rather not spend $39 - $59 per program. If they could get the same item for $5 they would.

Companies listen up... Want to stamp out piracy... LOWER YOUR F'N PRICES.....
smile.gif
$500 for a gaming console is stupid. Most people don't pay that much for a car pament, health insurance, hookers.. ect...
Hahaha, /truth on that one. I'm glad I did start pretty early. I actually haven't purchased a console for the last 6 years or so (and I never will) until it has a somewhat simple way of booting backups. If I pay hundreds of dollars for a console, I don't wanna give them even more money for their games. If I didn't pay for the console (which I think has happened with my last 3 I believe), then yeah, I'll purchase a few retails. But hey, I'm a pirate. I'll start bootleggin' again right after that because I just don't care
biggrin.gif

AeroZeppelin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I feel guilty.

Call corporations greedy pigs all you want, but their freaking job is to earn money and you know it. I'm more concerned about contributing to independent gaming companies rather than larger than life gaming companies who produce the same crap every year and still earn millions from it (*ahem EA).

It's sleeper hits like Hotel Dusk: Room 215 that people should buy. It's a mighty fine game that unfortunately wasn't promoted much from Nintendo and has qualities in games that are extremely rare, such as a captivating story and amazing dialogue. I loved the game so much that I bought the game right after I beat it.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, I feel guilty.

Call corporations greedy pigs all you want, but their freaking job is to earn money and you know it. I'm more concerned about contributing to independent gaming companies rather than larger than life gaming companies who produce the same crap every year and still earn millions from it (*ahem EA).

It's sleeper hits like Hotel Dusk: Room 215 that people should buy. It's a mighty fine game that unfortunately wasn't promoted much from Nintendo and has qualities in games that are extremely rare, such as a captivating story and amazing dialogue. I loved the game so much that I bought the game right after I beat it.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I plan to buy the titles which are really worth the money. pokemon ftw!

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, i think if you feel guilty at all, you shouldn't be pirating unless it's for the benefit of leaked games or regions.
If you say you should just buy the games to cure the guilt, then go buy them.
If something feels wrong, then don't do it! It's that simple.

AeroZeppelin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, i think if you feel guilty at all, you shouldn't be pirating unless it's for the benefit of leaked games or regions.
If you say you should just buy the games to cure the guilt, then go buy them.
If something feels wrong, then don't do it! It's that simple.

You know there are stuff called guilty pleasures, right? We all do it from time to time. Piracy is just one of them.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel no guilt what so ever... Let's see I have a N64 w/ 10 games and all 4 controlers, a gamecube with 21 games, 3 controlers, and 2 bongo controlers, 1 ds lite, with 6 real games.... No I think I've paid Nintendo anof money for a life time cupon of free games, aka piracy!

I've been into emulation for 8 years, now I'm 14 and I've think I have over paid my dues. I don't feel guilt for copying some "high and mighty" bastards games. Shure there loseing money because your not paying. But it's not like your actualy taking away money to copy somthing.

Get used to it! It's life! This is realy the only thing I don't think is wrong. Especialy if your getting the game before it's out in stores, getting a rare game, or downloading a game from other contreys!

Inother words...

FUCK YOU! Nintendo! You exspect us to buy extreamly over priced games! Well I've bought some and paided my dues. There's no need for you to over profet off ME!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Might've snorted crack on Bezos' yacht talking about how to move the company forward.