HelloKitty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...os=7&lang=en-US

I'm thinking about buying this...
but some people tell me I should get a plasma...
I don't know which to purchase.
My budget is about 2,000.00 so the one in the link seems to be the best for my budget right?
I'm planning on using it with my computer and Wii of course
happy.gif

Any thoughts?

Thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Plasma has got a lot better in recent years (for one it should actually last a little while now) but a good quality LCD still trumps it in my opinion. Of course some older plasma models go for much less than this (they tend to only be 720p and I am assuming you picked this for a reason)

Wii: the wii, while great can look a bit off on a "HD" tv, likewise the "HD probably is not all that HD compared to a decent monitor:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....tid=510&subcat=

As for the model:
"3D Comb Filter" aka de interlacing/comb removal, these range from good to awful. See it in action first, preferably on a normal TV transmission.

"Contrast: 1000:1" Not bad but not brilliant (you are spending $2K remember): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL20S2030-Wi...88135844&sr=1-2
This being said brightness is not all that when you have a good position and lighting.

HDMI with HDCP plus Stereo Audio (RCA) x 4, a bit ambiguous but 4 hdmi should be OK (consoles, set top and some disc players should be all that you will probably care for. You may have to source some cables though if you only have DVI out on your graphics card(s).

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just (two weeks ago) got a 42 inch Vizio from Costco for 950. Excellent deal and I'm very happy with the TV. Wii stuff looks good on it, but my component cables haven't arrived yet so I haven't really been able to get the most out of my Wii.

However, xbmc on HD is the tits.

I do notice the poor detail in dark areas, but it's really not something that I'm going to get all bent out of shape over. All in all I would certainly recommend Vizio as a great budget TV brand. Plus, if you're buying from Costco, you have the 90 day warranty to test it out and see if it fits your needs.

HelloKitty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I definately want a true 1080p
The thing that concerns me is the contrast on this TV.
1000:1
I've seen others at 10,000:1
I don't know much about contrast ratio.. but 1000:1 should be good enough right?
I don't have much light into the room that the TV will be in.. just some overhead lights from a ceiling fan.

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I definately want a true 1080p
The thing that concerns me is the contrast on this TV.
1000:1
I've seen others at 10,000:1
I don't know much about contrast ratio.. but 1000:1 should be good enough right?
I don't have much light into the room that the TV will be in.. just some overhead lights from a ceiling fan.

Personally I wouldn't buy it. Firstly, Vizio is sold at Tiger Direct and it's crap. Check the warranty on this and remember repairs on plasma out or warranty cost huge. The picture may look nice but the components are likely to fail.

Contrast ratio is more important than resolution. Check up on this. It's true. 1000:1 is not great. 10000:1 is quite good. All the new sets this fall are going to be 100000:1. This makes for a more realistic image an true life like colors.

Just my 2 cents worth. TV buying these days is not easy. Be very careful what you buy... I think you can get the Panasonic 50" for around this price. Much better tv.

Good luck.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just (two weeks ago) got a 42 inch Vizio from Costco for 950. Excellent deal and I'm very happy with the TV. Wii stuff looks good on it, but my component cables haven't arrived yet so I haven't really been able to get the most out of my Wii.

However, xbmc on HD is the tits.

I do notice the poor detail in dark areas, but it's really not something that I'm going to get all bent out of shape over. All in all I would certainly recommend Vizio as a great budget TV brand. Plus, if you're buying from Costco, you have the 90 day warranty to test it out and see if it fits your needs.

One of the ways lossy video compression works is by reducing detail/allowing errors in dark areas (the human eye does not tend to pick it up all that well): try encodes with less compression or if space is an issue with something like a H264 codec (recent builds do it fairly well if you do it properly).

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do not buy expensive things from Vizio. They are a good company for small TV's, but if you're going to get something large might as well spend a few extra and getting something quality.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a 47" Westinghouse LCD from Newegg.com for $1300.00, and I'm very happy with it. Lot's of inputs, computer looks good on it, 360 looks awesome on it (component inputs), DVD looks great. Nice size for a relatively nice price. 1080p and all. Not quite as big as what you're looking for, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

EDIT: Love the new avatar and sig btw... you are without a doubt, the most beautiful woman on earth. I'm not coming on to you or anything, just saying.. I mean good gracious! How on earth does a woman look that good and not mess up the universe in some way? Anyway, I'd skip plasma.. I know Fast said they're better than they used to be, but I just don't trust 'em.

HelloKitty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a 47" Westinghouse LCD from Newegg.com for $1300.00, and I'm very happy with it. Lot's of inputs, computer looks good on it, 360 looks awesome on it (component inputs), DVD looks great. Nice size for a relatively nice price. 1080p and all. Not quite as big as what you're looking for, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

EDIT: Love the new avatar and sig btw... you are without a doubt, the most beautiful woman on earth. I'm not coming on to you or anything, just saying.. I mean good gracious! How on earth does a woman look that good and not mess up the universe in some way? Anyway, I'd skip plasma.. I know Fast said they're better than they used to be, but I just don't trust 'em.

shy.gif
don't make me blush! lol

anyways...
I think I'm going to pick up a LCD TV at Costco, they have free extended warranty and 90 days to try it out.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew