Hardware Playing movies from keystick

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lali Ho!

Long story short my girlfriend has been 'acquiring' a bunch of movies. Best not to mention how. They're in all sorts of file formats and whatnot and the idea is to play them via the PS4's media app from a 64GB USB key stick I have laying around. But here's the rub; despite a quick google showing that it should play all the files (avi, MP4, MKV) it doesn't even acknowledge them half the time, or features I know to be working such as subtitle tracks or dual audio don't show up. Ever tried watching Harry Potter in Hindi when you don't speak Hindi? When there's a perfectly good English audio track right there the PS4 refuses to acknowledge? It's no fun. It needs fixing.

So my questions are as follows:

- What video formats does the PS4 ACTUALLY support? Because sometimes MKV files work, others not, and I can't see a difference.
- I'm guessing the reason some don't play is some encoding settings or whatnot that it'd be a waste of time explaining to me, you may as well be speaking ancient Estonian. I'm not a tech guy. So is there a simple set of settings that is guaranteed to play that I can just stick to? Doesn't have to be apex quality, just need the damn thing to work.
- Are there any file converters on Linux that can convert various files to a working format? I tried Handbrake which my flatmate had already installed but no dice. I had access to the Prism converter on the Windows laptop which did the trick but it was only a now expired free trial. Suggestions welcomed.

As always, thanks for your time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Gy3BOmvLf2w?list=OLAK5uy_k27izUIERfT-RIE1qN1CHIOIkW4h5A9BY Play this song if...