PS1/2 playing ps1 games on ps2 using usb without emulator

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I have a ps2 (scph 30001 and scph 50001) aldo a ps2 memory card with freemcboot.

is there any way I can play ps1 backupgames on my ps2 using a USB OR HDD without using an emulator. Basically, rplaying like if i was just putting a ps1 game cd on the ps2.

In case i can not. I also have a ps1 console. Is there any way i can run backup games from usb or hdd on ps1.

thanks for your time.
You need a good modchip to be able to handle the mode switching of the PS2. I had the Matrix Infinity on mine, so it was able to auto-boot any PS1/2 backups on it with no problem, regardless of region.

As for backing up PS1 games to USB or HDD, no. As mentioned, the nature of the PS2 BC for PS1 is that it switches to a PS1 mode, which was before USB was a thing. On a PS3, this isn't as big a deal, since the PS3 has significantly more horsepower to emulate the PS1 in software. It's been my understanding that the USB/Firewire controller on an original, phat PS2 is the very same CPU/RAM combo of the PS1, so the bootloader just did some voodoo to surrender control, and let it use the EE for video duties. It would explain a lot about how the PS2 works, though.

Kyusha

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
No. Simple as.

When you put a PS1 game in the PS2 and it loads, it kind of 'switches modes' to a ps1 mode. PS1 backups do not work on a modded ps2, at all. Either use the emulator for backups, or use a chipped PS1, like I do.

sorry for rebumping an old thread but you can load psx games onto a ps2 through a hdd with open ps2 loader as far as i know, does that qualifies as emulation tho?

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
sorry for rebumping an old thread but you can load psx games onto a ps2 through a hdd with open ps2 loader as far as i know, does that qualifies as emulation tho?
don't necro a thread from 4 years ago.

but to answer the question, yes, it is emulation.
opl calls popstarter to do the ps1 emulation.
the only way to not emulate ps1 on ps2 is via discs, be it backups with a modchip or originals, that doesn't matter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Anyone played Animal Well?
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    What's your thoughts?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @HiradeGirl, This commercial doesn't need to be made.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I get what they were trying to say but what the ad actually says is "we tried to cram a ton of features into the iPad but all of them got irreparably mangled
    in the process."
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That'll be fixed in the next update
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did Janet Jackson release a new song
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Is Janet Jackson alive?
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    And has she put her boob away yet?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry:
    +1
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    I hope this is a dream and I'm not actually leaving messages for others to see. :ninja:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You are not.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nobody is reading what you post.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    and sing along
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: and sing along