PlayStation 4 OFW 9.00 Jailbreak released, can reportedly affect PS5 consoles as well

ps4-slim-and-pro-image-block-01-en-23jul20.png

There's a new PlayStation 4 exploit in town--PS4 scene developers have released pOOBs4, a new kernel exploit that affects consoles on firmware 9.0.0. According to the pOOBs4 GitHub page, this exploit functions a little differently from previous PS4 jailbreak methods; you'll need a dedicated USB drive with the jailbreak software, which you'll insert into the system at a specific time during the process. The hack can also work on the PlayStation 5, claims the team, but triggering it isn't possible yet, and they recommend that users don't try to mess with their PS5 consoles until more information is available on how it affects that system. Currently, any PS4 that is on OFW 9.0.0 or below is exploitable using this method.

In this project you will find an implementation that tries to make use of a filesystem bug for the Playstation 4 on firmware 9.00. The bug was found while diffing the 9.00 and 9.03 kernels. It will require a drive with a modified exfat filesystem. Successfully triggering it will allow you to run arbitrary code as kernel, to allow jailbreaking and kernel-level modifications to the system. will launch the usual payload launcher (on port 9020).

The instructions and jailbreak file itself can be downloaded from the source below. Useful homebrew tools Mira and GoldHEN have also been updated to work with this new version.

• You need to insert the USB when the alert pops up, then let it sit there for a bit until the ps4 storage notifications shows up.
  • Unplug the USB before a (re)boot cycle or you'll risk corrupting the kernel heap at boot.
  • The browser might tempt you into closing the page prematurely, don't.
  • The loading circle might freeze while the webkit exploit is triggering, this means nothing.
  • This bug works on certain PS5 firmwares, however there's no known strategy for exploiting it at the moment. Using this bug against the PS5 blind wouldn't be advised.

:arrow: Source

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might get a ps4 just for this but I have a question, is the online bans similar to switch, like once you load this jailbreak once, will you get banned even if you don’t use it afterwards.
I personally wouldn't risk using my PSN account of 10+ years registered.

Reactions: lexarvn

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might get a ps4 just for this but I have a question, is the online bans similar to switch, like once you load this jailbreak once, will you get banned even if you don’t use it afterwards.
It's a non-issue (at least so far) with the PS4 scene because none of the exploits work on the latest firmware. So you can't log into PSN and also run this exploit (since you have to be on old firmware to run the exploit).

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's a non-issue (at least so far) with the PS4 scene because none of the exploits work on the latest firmware. So you can't log into PSN and also run this exploit (since you have to be on old firmware to run the exploit).
it could become an issue when you want to update to the latest firmware again and go online

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your thinking about jailbreaking then online play is not an option for you, so no you cant get banned with a jailbroken ps4 b/c you wont even have access to psn in the 1st place. Thats why erm... piracy is what keeps the user in the loop for games/updates/dlc without official means. Homebrew can be achevied almost anywhere or devices that can be hacked even emulation

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the replies, I need the online option, so I guess this isn’t for me, I thought because previous post said it's not a coldboot exploit, you have to redo it every time you power off, I would still have the online option, if I didn’t redo the steps, I guess not, if I read the replies correctly.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you should be able to load offline cache, assuming the host does this. that way, you could theoretically turn off the internet and still be able to use the exploits.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the replies, I need the online option, so I guess this isn’t for me, I thought because previous post said it's not a coldboot exploit, you have to redo it every time you power off, I would still have the online option, if I didn’t redo the steps, I guess not, if I read the replies correctly.
"Online Play" as in PSN access wont be an option. The exploit can be done with internet or offline

AkitoUF

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Is this permanent or do I have to follow the steps and send the payload every time I turn off my console?

Phearoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be careful buying a PS4 guys. I went to my local independent game store and drilled them with questions, first over the phone, then in person.

Me: "So this has been sitting for at least a month in the storage and definitely hasn't be updated?"
Them: "Absolutely, it's Kentucky state law for trades ins to wait a month."
Me: "So when you went to wipe it and clean it up you didn't connect it to the internet at all and update it?"
Them: "Nope we just wipe it and reset it."

Well guess what. 9.03.

Multiple guys all saying no way it's been updated and still, they did it.
The return policy says 7 days for defective and will exchange for identical item. No telling how this is going to go, because when I got home they had already closed so I couldn't call to verify they'll give me my money back. Tbph, I don't think they'll have one to exchange. In that case, I pray they don't try and rob me. Was very specific on needing the 9.00 or lower, chatted about all the possibilities with the jailbreak etc etc; the guys were really cool true gamers so I don't think they lied maliciously.

Be careful out there

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If a console had been updated to 9.03 and then a factory reset has been done, this does not help, does it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +2