PlayStation 4 OFW 9.00 Jailbreak released, can reportedly affect PS5 consoles as well

ps4-slim-and-pro-image-block-01-en-23jul20.png

There's a new PlayStation 4 exploit in town--PS4 scene developers have released pOOBs4, a new kernel exploit that affects consoles on firmware 9.0.0. According to the pOOBs4 GitHub page, this exploit functions a little differently from previous PS4 jailbreak methods; you'll need a dedicated USB drive with the jailbreak software, which you'll insert into the system at a specific time during the process. The hack can also work on the PlayStation 5, claims the team, but triggering it isn't possible yet, and they recommend that users don't try to mess with their PS5 consoles until more information is available on how it affects that system. Currently, any PS4 that is on OFW 9.0.0 or below is exploitable using this method.

In this project you will find an implementation that tries to make use of a filesystem bug for the Playstation 4 on firmware 9.00. The bug was found while diffing the 9.00 and 9.03 kernels. It will require a drive with a modified exfat filesystem. Successfully triggering it will allow you to run arbitrary code as kernel, to allow jailbreaking and kernel-level modifications to the system. will launch the usual payload launcher (on port 9020).

The instructions and jailbreak file itself can be downloaded from the source below. Useful homebrew tools Mira and GoldHEN have also been updated to work with this new version.

• You need to insert the USB when the alert pops up, then let it sit there for a bit until the ps4 storage notifications shows up.
  • Unplug the USB before a (re)boot cycle or you'll risk corrupting the kernel heap at boot.
  • The browser might tempt you into closing the page prematurely, don't.
  • The loading circle might freeze while the webkit exploit is triggering, this means nothing.
  • This bug works on certain PS5 firmwares, however there's no known strategy for exploiting it at the moment. Using this bug against the PS5 blind wouldn't be advised.

:arrow: Source

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dolPIqx.jpg

Feels like Christmas came early! I can't wait to play PS4 games as I've been playing PS3 titles up until now (which I really enjoy, but PS4 has games I'm itching to try).

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to stay with 5.05 but I'm having trouble finding/backporting myself for Persona 5 Royal USA English version. I see that the consensus is to stay at 5.05 as the games will get backported eventually, but this one has been out awhile and there seems to be little interest in getting it to work at 5.05. I feel like maybe I just haven't look in the right locations yet as it is one of the most popular ps4 exclusives.
Backport it yourself I hear its pretty easy to do?

Ive decided to put this on my ps4pro, so got both ps4 fat 5.05 and pro 9.0

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If I didn't have a Slim already, I'd go for a Pro. This is really nice to have.

Plus, installing HEN on a PS4 is so much easier than on a PS3.

iamisaac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've tried the autobackloader and it didn't work. I am new to the process so I may have made a mistake but I'm pretty sure that it isn't able to handle this game yet. I was hoping someone hear knew as I have exhausted my usually options to figure it out myself.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried the autobackloader and it didn't work. I am new to the process so I may have made a mistake but I'm pretty sure that it isn't able to handle this game yet. I was hoping someone hear knew as I have exhausted my usually options to figure it out myself.
Practically every physical PS4 has been backed up to the internet so that's an option, but if it's big then it may take you 30mins to a few hours depending on your ISP.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I didn't have a Slim already, I'd go for a Pro. This is really nice to have.

Plus, installing HEN on a PS4 is so much easier than on a PS3.
I dont know, I have both fat which I got ripped off as it was fucked, never got used in nearly 2 years of owning it due to having cancer, I basically turned it on, inserted one game and it worked then that was it, wasn't in the frame of mind back then due to the shit load of chemotherapys I had to have.

But I found after a few minutes the console would say its too hot and turn off.

Luckily I was able to find someone who did an amazing job at fixing it, litrally stripped the console down to its bare essentials and had this tank thing he said he uses that he puts things like motherboards into and it gives it a proper clean.

Then he bought fresh thermal paste and applied and gave me the rest left in the tube, he found the fans wasnt working either and replaced them and he only charged £20 for the full service.

I then found the console was working like a charm, but its disc drive would no longer read discs, the disc icon would keep flashing in the top corner, he tried using a new drive but nothing would work.

So that kinda threw away my option of just wanting to play the games I owned on disc but using cheats or cheat mods.

So I got a 2tb USB drive to store pkg games to and a 8tb usb drive to install games to and its been working like a charm.

I only decided last weekend to give this jailbreak stuff a try and each time I came back to it, I would find new or better ways to run the exploits, going from Web hosts to self hosting then the user guide methods.

Then found backports are good, but I found some games that said it had backport, I couldn't get to work while others did, currently re3 was the last game I tried that had 1.03 update saying it was backported for 5.05 but it wouldn't install.

Then I grabbed Alan wake remaster (which I see very little improvement) and I tried the 1.4 backport but it didn't work, I think that's because it said it was 6.72 (I think) to 5.05 backport, so maybe Alan wake been a higher firmware game, it couldn't backport to 5.05, I think it backported to 8.xx as on a certain exploit I would get that message, where another that was a web exploit hen+9.00 would boot the game but give a different error with a code.

Then I saw this weekend a 9.0 jailbreak came out and I was in two minds to update my fat 5.05 or keep it the as 5.05, or risk putting it on my pro which has my main psn account and didnt want to risk using it and getting my main psn account banned.

But tonight I thought fuck it, updated my pro to 9.00, changed the dns to hopefully block my ps4 from connecting and downloading updates off Sony servers and prevent my psn account getting banned.

Found it runs everything pretty much perfectly fine, Alan wake worked, re3 worked and my other backported games worked, my ps2 converted to ps4 worked fine.

So I don't know if to keep it like this as I should benefit on the pro and having 4k resolution and hdr running games.

Only thing I wonder is if there are better tools to convert ps2 games that lets you alter the resolution and try make textures look better and possibly upscale to 4k.

Found so far all the games I've converted play pretty much perfectly apart from the Simpsons game loads fine but in game has real bad texture issues where all you see is the black outlines all over the screen, and I tried metal gear solid 3 subsistence and it ran really slow that it would take far too long to even get to anything im game that its beyond unplayable.

So now I wonder if I just update to 9.0 or keep both as there doesn't seem to be any self hosting option for 9.0 jailbreak and it has no cheats/mods plugins for games.

Tho I think I found a tool similar to the ps3 where you can attach to console and try find your own cheats, possibly easy if it works and its not some bs crap app that doesn't work as I'm sure ill easily be able to find cheats for my ps2 converted games, but not sure I know enough about ps4 games and process to finding cheat codes for ps4 games, maybe similar to the switch and that where its dynamic address and not sure how to do that on ps4 or even if this app will work for 9.0

But I'd be interested to find out how people are making cheat codes and also if 9.0 will have option to self host exploits and plugins and if it will be possible to boot without needing usb each time.

Also different question if anyone knows, if I place games into certain folders when using the fat ps4, on the pro it doesn't do the same, so if I put games into folders on the ps4, but name them differently, will both consoles remember the folder names I created on that console.

Example, if I made a folder on the fat 5.05 as games and put everything in there.

And then a folder saying 9.0 games so I know the fat won't run them.

But then on the pro 9.0 console just have one folder called games and put everything in there.

Will the fat still remember the games placed into the two folders.

And the pro 9.0 remember all games in the onr folder created for that console.

Also I need to actually look properly into manually extracting pkg games and manually editing them to backpory 5.05 then rebuilding pkg and be able to install and run it on 5.05.

Ive been following YouTube guides by modded warfare and im sure I came across a video guide that showed you how to manually backport games, so will have to try find it and give it a try, but then his app to backport games didnt work, but maybe thats because 1.4 was for 6.7x to 5.05 and maybe didnt have the keys or what ever to backport higher games.

But so far I've been able to quickly learn new things for the ps4 following his YouTube guides, as theyre very clear and to the point showing and explaining step by step and provides the required files to do what its showing you.

So im pretty much getting used to what is what on the ps4 like I used to for ps3, but now I cant remember fuck all about the ps3 and haven't done anything on the ps3 for nearly 4 years and now I have no idea what is what or how to do anything for it, its remains on what every cfw it was on back then and I run games off my 2x1tb usb drives from years ago.

Now I hear you can run a similar app like the vita called pkgi where you can download games directly to your ps3 console or usb drive, but I have no idea how to do it or how to get it to work

Furthest I got was it to download and install, but could never get what ever I download, be it games, themes or avatars, it would always fail to work, and not bothered doing anything further as I have no clue, and ended up using my switch more often to make cheat codes.

Reactions: Phearoz

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea I had same problem maybe the app needs updating 1.4 as it says firmware 6.xx to 5.05, but then again their must be a way of doing it as other games are getting backported, or maybe it's the manual method im sure I saw.

I plan on backported any game I download that needs it and converting all my ps2 games to ps4 pkg and helping the community and share them or help convert what ever they request (as long as I own the game or can find it)

White_Raven_X

Hack everything, hack the world!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dont know, I have both fat which I got ripped off as it was fucked, never got used in nearly 2 years of owning it due to having cancer, I basically turned it on, inserted one game and it worked then that was it, wasn't in the frame of mind back then due to the shit load of chemotherapys I had to have.

But I found after a few minutes the console would say its too hot and turn off.

Luckily I was able to find someone who did an amazing job at fixing it, litrally stripped the console down to its bare essentials and had this tank thing he said he uses that he puts things like motherboards into and it gives it a proper clean.

Then he bought fresh thermal paste and applied and gave me the rest left in the tube, he found the fans wasnt working either and replaced them and he only charged £20 for the full service.

I then found the console was working like a charm, but its disc drive would no longer read discs, the disc icon would keep flashing in the top corner, he tried using a new drive but nothing would work.

So that kinda threw away my option of just wanting to play the games I owned on disc but using cheats or cheat mods.

So I got a 2tb USB drive to store pkg games to and a 8tb usb drive to install games to and its been working like a charm.

I only decided last weekend to give this jailbreak stuff a try and each time I came back to it, I would find new or better ways to run the exploits, going from Web hosts to self hosting then the user guide methods.

Then found backports are good, but I found some games that said it had backport, I couldn't get to work while others did, currently re3 was the last game I tried that had 1.03 update saying it was backported for 5.05 but it wouldn't install.

Then I grabbed Alan wake remaster (which I see very little improvement) and I tried the 1.4 backport but it didn't work, I think that's because it said it was 6.72 (I think) to 5.05 backport, so maybe Alan wake been a higher firmware game, it couldn't backport to 5.05, I think it backported to 8.xx as on a certain exploit I would get that message, where another that was a web exploit hen+9.00 would boot the game but give a different error with a code.

Then I saw this weekend a 9.0 jailbreak came out and I was in two minds to update my fat 5.05 or keep it the as 5.05, or risk putting it on my pro which has my main psn account and didnt want to risk using it and getting my main psn account banned.

But tonight I thought fuck it, updated my pro to 9.00, changed the dns to hopefully block my ps4 from connecting and downloading updates off Sony servers and prevent my psn account getting banned.

Found it runs everything pretty much perfectly fine, Alan wake worked, re3 worked and my other backported games worked, my ps2 converted to ps4 worked fine.

So I don't know if to keep it like this as I should benefit on the pro and having 4k resolution and hdr running games.

Only thing I wonder is if there are better tools to convert ps2 games that lets you alter the resolution and try make textures look better and possibly upscale to 4k.

Found so far all the games I've converted play pretty much perfectly apart from the Simpsons game loads fine but in game has real bad texture issues where all you see is the black outlines all over the screen, and I tried metal gear solid 3 subsistence and it ran really slow that it would take far too long to even get to anything im game that its beyond unplayable.

So now I wonder if I just update to 9.0 or keep both as there doesn't seem to be any self hosting option for 9.0 jailbreak and it has no cheats/mods plugins for games.

Tho I think I found a tool similar to the ps3 where you can attach to console and try find your own cheats, possibly easy if it works and its not some bs crap app that doesn't work as I'm sure ill easily be able to find cheats for my ps2 converted games, but not sure I know enough about ps4 games and process to finding cheat codes for ps4 games, maybe similar to the switch and that where its dynamic address and not sure how to do that on ps4 or even if this app will work for 9.0

But I'd be interested to find out how people are making cheat codes and also if 9.0 will have option to self host exploits and plugins and if it will be possible to boot without needing usb each time.

Also different question if anyone knows, if I place games into certain folders when using the fat ps4, on the pro it doesn't do the same, so if I put games into folders on the ps4, but name them differently, will both consoles remember the folder names I created on that console.

Example, if I made a folder on the fat 5.05 as games and put everything in there.

And then a folder saying 9.0 games so I know the fat won't run them.

But then on the pro 9.0 console just have one folder called games and put everything in there.

Will the fat still remember the games placed into the two folders.

And the pro 9.0 remember all games in the onr folder created for that console.

Also I need to actually look properly into manually extracting pkg games and manually editing them to backpory 5.05 then rebuilding pkg and be able to install and run it on 5.05.

Ive been following YouTube guides by modded warfare and im sure I came across a video guide that showed you how to manually backport games, so will have to try find it and give it a try, but then his app to backport games didnt work, but maybe thats because 1.4 was for 6.7x to 5.05 and maybe didnt have the keys or what ever to backport higher games.

But so far I've been able to quickly learn new things for the ps4 following his YouTube guides, as theyre very clear and to the point showing and explaining step by step and provides the required files to do what its showing you.

So im pretty much getting used to what is what on the ps4 like I used to for ps3, but now I cant remember fuck all about the ps3 and haven't done anything on the ps3 for nearly 4 years and now I have no idea what is what or how to do anything for it, its remains on what every cfw it was on back then and I run games off my 2x1tb usb drives from years ago.

Now I hear you can run a similar app like the vita called pkgi where you can download games directly to your ps3 console or usb drive, but I have no idea how to do it or how to get it to work

Furthest I got was it to download and install, but could never get what ever I download, be it games, themes or avatars, it would always fail to work, and not bothered doing anything further as I have no clue, and ended up using my switch more often to make cheat codes.

Google:
Backport 6.72 PS4 Games to 5.05 (Easy Method)

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there's another one as well out there...I've used it in the past and works great. What's firmware u going from and to?
The 6.75 by modded warfare is v1.4 i think and when I was booting on 5.05 using 9.0 spoof id get error saying it needs firmware 8.50 I think.

If I booted a different exploit from the user guide it wouldn't boot at all.

But I decided to update my other ps4 (pro) to 9.0 so I can run games on that console and for the likes of mods for gta 5 ill run on my fat thats the 5.05.

I guess it will be a matter of time before other mods and that gets ported over to 9.0.

But im fine at the moment, only thing I've just thought of as my pro is in the living room, I usually remote play but is that even possible now if your running an exploit and you've blocked sony using dns, and is their a risk as the remote play app asks you to log into your psn account.

Ive been meaning to look into manually backporting but I've been side tracked converting my ps2 games to ps4 and now looking into making it so you can boot a cheat device and have cheat codes.

Got one working today but the files only gave xploder lite (for pal) games and it doesn't let you add new cheats for games it doesnt have.

So ill have to look and see if it is possible to use action replay max instead or a version of xploder that isnt a demo and lets you add codes for games.

White_Raven_X

Hack everything, hack the world!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The 6.75 by modded warfare is v1.4 i think and when I was booting on 5.05 using 9.0 spoof id get error saying it needs firmware 8.50 I think.

If I booted a different exploit from the user guide it wouldn't boot at all.

But I decided to update my other ps4 (pro) to 9.0 so I can run games on that console and for the likes of mods for gta 5 ill run on my fat thats the 5.05.

I guess it will be a matter of time before other mods and that gets ported over to 9.0.

But im fine at the moment, only thing I've just thought of as my pro is in the living room, I usually remote play but is that even possible now if your running an exploit and you've blocked sony using dns, and is their a risk as the remote play app asks you to log into your psn account.

Ive been meaning to look into manually backporting but I've been side tracked converting my ps2 games to ps4 and now looking into making it so you can boot a cheat device and have cheat codes.

Got one working today but the files only gave xploder lite (for pal) games and it doesn't let you add new cheats for games it doesnt have.

So ill have to look and see if it is possible to use action replay max instead or a version of xploder that isnt a demo and lets you add codes for games.
Have you tried autobackport.exe by @RetroGamer_74
Works great for me.
You can google his name and you will find his stuff.

Reactions: Spider_Man

Digital_Cheese

Top G Unlike Tate
Trophies
Website
dc-blog.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
This seems like a pretty major breakthrough in the PS4 hacking scene. We went from 7.55 not long ago to 9.0 now. Sony is starting to be unable to keep up so easily. I have a PS4 at 7.02 conveniently and hacked before this exploit, but this would allow many more games and more homebrew/patches. Imagine what we can do. No longer do we need to backport a lot of games that would previously need it. I hope for stuff such as Linux to be available. It's cool that it works on PS5 as well (which I also have) but I wouldn't do so for a long time. The PS4 is finally being cracked. Before now, I'd argue that the most powerful system that was reasonable to hack was the Wii U. Due to the 9.0 Exploit, it is pretty much better than Wii U now. This is going to be a lot of fun honestly. If 7.02 was fun, imagine how good 9.0 can be when it's tested a bit more. Can't wait to see what is to come out of PS4 homebrew tbh.

Reactions: White_Raven_X

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've stumbled across something strange:

My PS4 is HEN-enabled, but it's not showing it anywhere. It's like the OFW is running backups without hacking.

I'm now restarting... Back to locked.

That was weird.

Also, when I load PS4 PS2 Classics Gui V1 on my PC it just shows a white rectangle and I don't know why. It was working fine before. Someone please help.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone got either action replay max or max evo or xploder v4 or 5 (not lite) in elf format please.

Ive been dumping my ps2 games and going to convert them to ps4 pkg but the cheat loader I found only has codebreaker.elf which is no good for me as its for ntsc games and mine are all pal UK, and the xploder.elf is the lite version which has next to no cheats and doesnt allow you to add new games.

So I have been looking to see if I can find either action replay max or xploder as elf format to use for loading ps2 cheats with my ps4 pkg.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone got either action replay max or max evo or xploder v4 or 5 (not lite) in elf format please.

Ive been dumping my ps2 games and going to convert them to ps4 pkg but the cheat loader I found only has codebreaker.elf which is no good for me as its for ntsc games and mine are all pal UK, and the xploder.elf is the lite version which has next to no cheats and doesnt allow you to add new games.

So I have been looking to see if I can find either action replay max or xploder as elf format to use for loading ps2 cheats with my ps4 pkg.
Do PAL PS2 software/games run at the same speed of NTSC ones? Specifically based on software, not hardware.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do PAL PS2 software/games run at the same speed of NTSC ones? Specifically based on software, not hardware.
Out of the games ive done so far the only one that was unplayable was metal gear solid 3 subsistence, it was far too slow and would take ages to get past the initial Konami, kojima, dolby and load screens, I left it for ages and took that long I turned off.

Everything else has played fine, higher resolution tho resident evil 4 seems to be missing the fog in the distance and everything seems clear and you can see rough edges.

And I think this white line like circle not so far infront of you is maybe where fog would have been, but when your running you will see this line.

But yea, so far what I have tried has worked fine, silent hill 3 cant do 60hz mode, the screen doubles itself, but its been fine on other games.

Another game I got to boot up into game but had no control input was silent hill origins, I could pause game and everything else but move Travis.

My mrs has been enjoying evil dead fist full of boomstick.

Ive yet to redo all my pkg as I didn't bother doing art work, just a basic pkg to test.

Tho i wonder in the app when you set upscale and that in settings, ill set 2x2 and gpu but if I hit save it resets to default. Using the ps2 to ps4 pkg.

It has other options but I see not difference so not sure of my app is actually saving the settings when I change but click X to close.

Not sure also whats the difference in default emu or jak and daxter emu.

Ice tried other tools which seem alot more work but if I set an icon0 image it will fail to build, even if I use a graphic app to make it, only lets me build if I use the default one provided for def jam vendetta.

But now I just need to find a means to get a better elf for pal games and have cheats, not sure if you can convert an action replay iso to an elf and dont know why the only one for pal games provided is a demo of xploder where you cant update or add new games or cheats, yet codebreaker for ntsc games you can.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried Tekken Tag (NTSC-U) didn't work, the PAL version does work albeit slow. I'll be trying the NTSC-J version next so hopefully that works without probs.

18 Wheeler JPN version works nicely whereas NTSC-U/PAL didn't.

And I had no luck getting Dead or Alive 2 to work, whether NTSC-U, PAL or NTSC-J. :-/ I really love this game, it was my favorite on PS2.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive tried again to build pkg with cheats but the only way I can get it is the long hard way..... and after all the effort it only gives you codebreaker and thats for ntsc, for pal it gives xploder and its a demo so you cant add to it.

Does anyone know if there are any tools like on the ps3 you could have ccapi and use tools on pc to connect to console and manually find codes, like netcheat or ps3cheater.

Also, dont get why the ps4 hasn't got cheat pkgs like we had on the ps3, I simple pkg file that edited parts of the eboot to give cheats and you installed it.

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just bought a PS4 Pro just because of this 9.00 jailbreak. I am quite happy with it and was quite surprised of its power.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!