PlayStation 4 OFW 9.00 Jailbreak released, can reportedly affect PS5 consoles as well

ps4-slim-and-pro-image-block-01-en-23jul20.png

There's a new PlayStation 4 exploit in town--PS4 scene developers have released pOOBs4, a new kernel exploit that affects consoles on firmware 9.0.0. According to the pOOBs4 GitHub page, this exploit functions a little differently from previous PS4 jailbreak methods; you'll need a dedicated USB drive with the jailbreak software, which you'll insert into the system at a specific time during the process. The hack can also work on the PlayStation 5, claims the team, but triggering it isn't possible yet, and they recommend that users don't try to mess with their PS5 consoles until more information is available on how it affects that system. Currently, any PS4 that is on OFW 9.0.0 or below is exploitable using this method.

In this project you will find an implementation that tries to make use of a filesystem bug for the Playstation 4 on firmware 9.00. The bug was found while diffing the 9.00 and 9.03 kernels. It will require a drive with a modified exfat filesystem. Successfully triggering it will allow you to run arbitrary code as kernel, to allow jailbreaking and kernel-level modifications to the system. will launch the usual payload launcher (on port 9020).

The instructions and jailbreak file itself can be downloaded from the source below. Useful homebrew tools Mira and GoldHEN have also been updated to work with this new version.

• You need to insert the USB when the alert pops up, then let it sit there for a bit until the ps4 storage notifications shows up.
  • Unplug the USB before a (re)boot cycle or you'll risk corrupting the kernel heap at boot.
  • The browser might tempt you into closing the page prematurely, don't.
  • The loading circle might freeze while the webkit exploit is triggering, this means nothing.
  • This bug works on certain PS5 firmwares, however there's no known strategy for exploiting it at the moment. Using this bug against the PS5 blind wouldn't be advised.

:arrow: Source

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, I don't want to be tempted to buy a PS5!

Also, wouldn't it be amusing if PS5 got a cold boot hack before the Switch? lol

Bederere

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold up, wasn't 9.00 the firmware that had a bunch of problems? Like bricking consoles and crashing?
Isn't that gonna be a problem with CFW 9.00 as well?

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hold up, wasn't 9.00 the firmware that had a bunch of problems? Like bricking consoles and crashing?
Isn't that gonna be a problem with CFW 9.00 as well?
It was only a few who had that issue, but yes 9.00 was the OFW with that problem. (Also, it's not CFW with jailbreaking PS4s)

Bederere

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had to take a wild guess, might be something to do with how they patched the exfat exploit or the cmos battery issue?
Yeah, probably.
Regardless, I'll hold off on hacking my PS4 until seeing more positive/safe(?) reports about this jailbreak. Really cool to see! :D

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, probably.
Regardless, I'll hold off on hacking my PS4 until seeing more positive/safe(?) reports about this jailbreak. Really cool to see! :D
There's already hundreds saying it's working for them perfectly. Give it a few days for more information to become available and maybe hosts that are able to apply goldhen automatically then consider trying it out.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, the thing you've gotta remember is that you can only play ps5 games from the internal ssd, which you only have about 600GBs of space with stock, so that's maybe 10 games. and, those ssd that work with the ps5 can easily get over a grand, and that's in the states, so if your ps5 is a grand by itself, good luck with that. lol

the 4tb SSD specifically tested on PS5 is currently sold for $769 on Amazon.
They're not as expensive as one might think.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, went ahead and jailborked mine, since PS4 is pretty much in its last days and there probably won't be much releasing for it after so long. Now I gotta browse the net to see what kind of stuff I can do with it. Sadly, mine's not a PS4 Pro, so I doubt I can run anything too crazy on it that I don't already have going on my Switch.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Welp, went ahead and jailborked mine, since PS4 is pretty much in its last days and there probably won't be much releasing for it after so long. Now I gotta browse the net to see what kind of stuff I can do with it. Sadly, mine's not a PS4 Pro, so I doubt I can run anything too crazy on it that I don't already have going on my Switch.
Pro isn't much better than the normal console anyway in terms of what you can do with it after jailbreaking.

Reactions: bubolechka

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is there someone who's going to JB their console for uses other than piracy? If so, please lmk. I purchased almost every game I've wanted, so there isn't much I can think to try with it.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there someone who's going to JB their console for uses other than piracy? If so, please lmk. I purchased almost every game I've wanted, so there isn't much I can think to try with it.
I don't care about the games, have 0 saves for pirated games after all these years. Are you wanting to know what to do with your system?

Reactions: tabzer

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pro isn't much better than the normal console anyway in terms of what you can do with it after jailbreaking.

Okay. Guess I'm not really missing out on too much apart from 4k and/or 60fps stuff for PS4 games? If that's the case, then I'm satisfied. My PC is still holding up well enough for current titles, and it's not like I play a lot of AAA games these days anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...