PlayStation Plus 12-month sub price to increase by 33%

02lbhbJ8JoH0MK5iCUYBHOj-6.v16067.jpg

Sony have announced that their 12-month subscription plans for all PlayStation Plus tiers - Essential, Extra and Premium, are getting price increases of around 33%, more details below.
  • PlayStation Plus Essential (12 month) will be increased to $79.99 USD , €71,99 EUR, £59.99 GBP up from $59.99, €59.99, £49.99​
  • PlayStation Plus Extra (12 month) will be increased to $134.99 USD, €125,99 EUR, £99.99 GBP up from $99.99, €99.99, £83.99​
  • PlayStation Plus Premium (12 month) will be increased to $159.99 USD, €151,99 EUR, £119.99 GBP up from $119.99, €119.99, £99.99​
They have yet to justify the price increases with any extra perks or changes to the included benefits.

The price increase comes into effect from September 6th 2023.

We also wanted to let you know that starting September 6 we will be increasing the price for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscriptions globally across all benefit plans. This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service.

Here are the new prices for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscription plans.

PlayStation Plus Essential 12-Month Subscription
79.99 USD | 71,99 Euro | 59.99 GBP | 6,800 Yen

PlayStation Plus Extra 12-Month Subscription
134.99 USD | 125,99 Euro | 99.99 GBP | 11,700 Yen

PlayStation Plus Premium 12-Month Subscription
159.99 USD | 151,99 Euro | 119.99 GBP | 13,900 Yen

The new prices for the 12-Month subscription will remain at a discounted rate when compared to purchasing the 1-Month or 3-Month subscriptions over a 12-month period.

For current 12-month subscribers, this price increase will not take effect until your next renewal date that occurs on or after November 6. However, any membership changes you make on or after September 6, such as upgrades, downgrades or buying additional time, will update your plan reflecting the new prices.

You can change or cancel your subscription at any time, details here.

We’ll notify current subscribers of these changes via email and will have additional details on our website soon.

This news comes shortly after the announcement of massive strides in the PS5 homebrew community with LibHijacker now able to run 60fps patches, mods, programs and more, as well as the first ever "Hello World" homebrew app on PS5.

:arrow: Source

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Probably going to buy another year of current price of 59.99 before the price change, my current subscription end in October 2024.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
PSN better suck me off for an extra 33%.
Post automatically merged:

maybe Sony should focus on the quality of their latest products before raising prices. the ps5 is no where near the ps4 as far as quality goes and there is not even a big enough ps5 library to start raising prices. they will push people to other consoles. even though they are all raising rates above what i believe to be fair market value sony is behind the curve in what u can actually do once uve paid into their crapshoot
Sony is starting to feel like the new Apple/Netflix... Paying more, for less.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know "arrogant Sony" is a meme. But I do think the PS5 generation has been their weakest for a while. They were on absolute fire at the end of the PS3 and the entire PS4 era, but they are so quiet and unsurprising lately.

There is a distinct lack of big hitting titles for me personally (no interest in Spiderman). There seems to be so few first party games to be excited about.

And don't get me started on PSVR 2. Such a fucking let down this thing is. RE8 was the only redeeming highlight for me and after I've played RE4 VR I genuinely think I might sell it. There's so much potential for ports of old first party titles into VR and optional modes like TLOU 2 VR. Just imagine! But instead we get pretty much radio silence and the same old Quest ports.

Then you get news like this and it's the icing on the shitcake. We really need some good news from Sony soon.

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
'This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscrtiption service,' they say as they add Saints Row 2022 to the month's lineup.

Quick reminder that bullying companies has worked before.

nothing-to-see-here

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
biggest problem for me is that there's no way to backup ps5 saves outside of cloud saving. that's the only reason really why I'm a member of nso and psn+. with xbox, it's free cloud saving. so in this regard, they want you to ask yourselves, "how much are your saves worth in case your console fails?" total bullshit.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Canceled my sub. This is an outrageous price for a mediocre service. Calm down Sony, you're not even half of what Game Pass is.
While this is a dick move from Sony to increase the price, still it's much better than game pass.
What is the deal about game pass anyway, I had it for 4 months and the majority of games there are garbage.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They have yet to justify the price increases with any extra perks or changes to the included benefits.​

Don't need to justify it, console players will happily bend over and pay and make excuses of "it's just X a month" or call people poor if they don't/won't pay. Same with all the consoles and their paywalled online.

Xbox live launched and was paid, while being entirely p2p, while PC players were enjoying dedicated servers, Xbox players were enjoying shit like host advantage. Still paid.

When dedicated servers started to come to consoles, a lot of the time they were not hosted by the console manufacturer, yet you still had to pay. People still accepted and paid, because apparently paying MS/Sony to play on servers hosted by another company was fine.

When games go f2p, suddenly it's fine, MS/Sony don't need their cut. Rocket League when paid, pay MS/Sony to play on Psyonix servers, with Psyonix matchmaking. Goes f2p, suddenly same servers, same setup, but you can play without paying MS/Sony. Same for Fall Guys.

Buy a crossbuy game, play it on PC, same servers, same xbox live, play online for free. Same game, same account, but on Xbox, suddenly paywalled.

Nintendo shitting out an online worse than Xbox Live from 20 years ago, people lining up to pay.

None of it has ever been justified, yet console players still paid.

Sony don't have to justify shit. Console fans will pay and Sony know it.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
While this is a dick move from Sony to increase the price, still it's much better than game pass.
What is the deal about game pass anyway, I had it for 4 months and the majority of games there are garbage.
I'm not so sure it's better than Game Pass in any way except price...to which, I'd say a large amount of people backloaded Xbox Game Pass via buying Gold for $60, and stacked years worth of it. Sony didn't allow that, going out of their way to prevent people from doing that, then did a double price increase from 60>120>159 within two years.

Admittedly, I don't have a XGP subscription, but still: you get 1st party games from Microsoft, aka, Bethesda, 343, ID, Mojang, XGS, etc, all day 1. PS+ would never. The best you get is Spider-Man 2018...years after its release. PS+'s PS3 game streaming also hasn't been improved since PlayStation Now launched years and years ago, with horrible streaming quality and even worse input lag. The game lineup on PS+ is pretty bad, too. A handful of PS2 games, Assassin's Creed games, God of War, the Just Cause games everyone hated...Harvest Moon? Not much stuff.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Everyone: rushing to buy subscriptions for stacking before sep 6th…

Sony: good, goooooooodhhhhhh.

To save a whopping couple bucks a month. LOL!

Damn, a price increase for an already overpriced service? Jeesus, that's adding more to the reason I don't like Sony nowadays. They're making things too expensive.

I'll stick to being a PC/Nintendo gamer thanks.

Because neither MS or Nintendo have ever raised prices or have overly priced online services?

You don't even get Sonys big titles with this crap.

Game pass you get EVERYTHING MS release. EVERYTHING.

Sony literally cannot even compete

Lie much? You get TONS of Sony's big games. Also, "EVERYTHING" MS releases isn't a whole lot of anything at all.

PSN better suck me off for an extra 33%.

Makes me wonder what kind of STD's you have when you're willing to sacrifice an entire extra $2-$3 a month for a blowjob. :rofl:

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't subscribe to any of this subscription service bs, so these price hikes are funny to me. Movies and TV shows are too easy to pirate. And I could never justify paying to play my video games online, lol. The monthly fee is why I never really got into any MMOs.

I'll admit, I did abuse the Xbox Gamepass 1 dollar deal, but I like never used it, lmao.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Lie much? You get TONS of Sony's big games.
You don't get them on launch, though. As opposed to Microsoft. You get Bloodborne, GoW reboot, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Miles Morales (but not Spider-Man 1), which is pretty solid, until you realize, most of these games are freebies for PS+ Collection anyway, or are previous gen games that have been out for ages. They're also wildly more inconsistent with taking games down off of PS+--Hotline Miami 1 was removed, but not 2, Nidhogg 1 was removed but not 2, only for 2 to get axed in the next refresh.

It's just not a service that offers enough to warrant charging that much. Microsoft got to price hike its service, but that's also factoring xCloud coming out of beta, a more recent lineup of games in the library, etc. Nintendo Switch Online, for all its silly trash fire offerings, also understands it's not that great, and asks for just $20 a YEAR.

riI2kgF.png

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Canceled my sub. This is an outrageous price for a mediocre service. Calm down Sony, you're not even half of what Game Pass is.
This, cancelled my sub last night.

3 usually shitty games per month was barely worth $60 a year for the essential, so $80 is definitely the breaking point for me.

Reactions: Vorde

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First and foremost guys please don’t complain… $79.99 a year is $6.66 a month and Netflix charge way more than that… Now if I digress Sony should also just have a plan where you game online without freebies for maybe $30 a month.

What people don’t realize PS plus only benefit people who has it for years… some of the games they release I already have but it’s nice not to use my disks..

If the quality of games will increase I’m all for it

Reactions: RedColoredStars

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't get them on launch, though. As opposed to Microsoft. You get Bloodborne, GoW reboot, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Miles Morales (but not Spider-Man 1), which is pretty solid, until you realize, most of these games are freebies for PS+ Collection anyway, or are previous gen games that have been out for ages. They're also wildly more inconsistent with taking games down off of PS+--Hotline Miami 1 was removed, but not 2, Nidhogg 1 was removed but not 2, only for 2 to get axed in the next refresh.

It's just not a service that offers enough to warrant charging that much. Microsoft got to price hike its service, but that's also factoring xCloud coming out of beta, a more recent lineup of games in the library, etc. Nintendo Switch Online, for all its silly trash fire offerings, also understands it's not that great, and asks for just $20 a YEAR.

View attachment 391362
Screenshot_20230831_095105_PS App.jpg

Funny mine is also on October 4th but next year.

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest problem with these gaming services is that they can yank your games away at any time. So not only are you paying what is now double the price of a game for the service, but once you start enjoying a game, they pull it from the service and charge you double the price on Steam to keep playing. I got my first year for $40 due to an old PS Now card I had. This year I let it auto-renew at $60. No way I'm paying $159 for what are effectively demos.

Also Plus Premium is super not worth it. The selection os PS1 and PS2 games isn't bad, and it's nice that here is some upscaling for PS1 games on PS5, but it's about on par with EPSXE in 2005. No widescreen, the texture wobble is still there, no overclocking the CPU or disk drive, no texture filtering. Duckstation is lightyears ahead, as are PCSX2 and RPCS3. I'll pay a premium for the best version of a game since my free time is so limited, but Playstation Plus (and Playstation in general) isn't it.

Looking at all these streaming services cutting back, it's probably time to cancel pretty much all of them. Paying a few bucks a month to use a service for an hour or two was fine, but with Xbox Live removing the monthly games, Netflix cutting account sharing, and now this PS Plus price increase, it's getting to be time to just focus on my backlog until the greed slows down.

Reactions: IRUZZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol