PlayStation Plus overhaul announced, premium tier has catalog of PS1, PS2, and PSP games

unknown-19.png

After months of rumors, the long awaited relaunch of PlayStation Plus is here. Sony has revealed that they will be merging both PlayStation Now and PlayStation Plus into the new Playstation Plus, which will have three different tiers. "Essential" is the same PS+ experience as before, with free games monthly and online multi-player. Meanwhile, the "Extra" tier adds a catalog for downloadable PS4 and PS5 titles for 14.99 a month. The Premium tier has the biggest amount of content on offer, featuring cloud streaming on PS4, PS5, and PC, as well as access to a retro trove of classic PlayStation games from the PS1, PS2, and PSP, with download options available. Time limited game trials are also part of this plan. This one is $17.99 a month.

The new PlayStation Plus will launch this June. Those current subscribed to PlayStation Now will automatically be converted into the Premium tier. Certain markets will have a Deluxe tier, which is just slightly cheaper Premium but without the cloud streaming.

PlayStation Plus Essential​

• Benefits:
    • Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
      • Two monthly downloadable games
      • Exclusive discounts
      • Cloud storage for saved games
      • Online multiplayer access
    • There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.

• Price*for PlayStation Plus Essential remains the same as the current price for PlayStation Plus.
    • United States
      • $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €8.99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥850 monthly / ¥2,150 quarterly / ¥5,143 yearly

PlayStation Plus Extra​

• Benefits:
    • Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
    • Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
  • Price*:
    • United States
      • $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly

PlayStation Plus Premium**​

• Benefits:
    • Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
    • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
      • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
      • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
    • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
    • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
  • Price*:
    • United States
      • $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
    • Europe
      • €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
    • United Kingdom
      • £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly
    • Japan
      • ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly
  • PlayStation Plus Deluxe (Select Markets) For markets without cloud streaming, PlayStation Plus Deluxe will be offered at a lower price compared to Premium, and includes a catalog of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play, along with time-limited game trials. Benefits from Essential and Extra tiers are also included. Local pricing will vary by market.

Tatsuna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don't know anything do you Japan are so "traditional" they are practically racist to non asian people (not to hate crime extent though) but you try working for nintendo directly in Kyoto as a non Asian I've heard they disregard your degree and use you as an errand boy and nothing more
Based Japan?

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'll be honest, if Sony can find a way to reduce the subscription price, they can make me give up on an Xbox.

Until then, I still think GamePass is better, but this is far from bad.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG. $120 a year for Premium? Pardon my language, but that's pretty damn expensive. Still, you can get the basics of PlayStation Plus (the current version) and PlayStation Now for less than that, which is what I predicted (in the Extra tier), so...

But still, $120 a year for retro gaming is not what I want to spend my life savings on. That's a pretty big bill to pay, even for a yearly subscription. I could've subscribed to a yearly subscription of everything DC Comics for less than that ($99), and I thought THAT was expensive!

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems like a half assed attempt at Game Pass to me.

"Pay us monthly to play games you own on past gen PS systems without getting your old consoles out" No thanks.

I was sceptical about the whole subscription thing until I got my Series X, now I wouldn't go without my Ultimate GP sub.
Thing with the Sony offer is... Having a hacked PS4 kinda negates the need for the sub service and I cant connect my console to PSN anyway.
My PS5 still remains unopened from Xmas last year as so far there's been nothing that I wanna play enough to warrant opening it up.

My mate just stated he was going to jump in on this just for the PS3 games.... I just told him to dig out his old PS3 and hack it then he can get any game he wants from the interwebz and no streaming involved :P
Even buying used PS3 would be cheaper than the subs if you just want to play PS3 games again...

Last edited by nikeymikey,

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like a half assed attempt at Game Pass to me.

"Pay us monthly to play games you own on past gen PS systems without getting your old consoles out" No thanks.

I was sceptical about the whole subscription thing until I got my Series X, now I wouldn't go without my Ultimate GP sub.
Thing with the Sony offer is... Having a hacked PS4 kinda negates the need for the sub service and I cant connect my console to PSN anyway.
My PS5 still remains unopened from Xmas last year as so far there's been nothing that I wanna play enough to warrant opening it up.

My mate just stated he was going to jump in on this just for the PS3 games.... I just told him to dig out his old PS3 and hack it then he can get any game he wants from the interwebz and no streaming involved :P
Even buying used PS3 would be cheaper than the subs if you just want to play PS3 games again...
Yeah, PS3 emulation itself is fully possible with the PS5 hardware, but sony would rather not invest and use the cheap and easy solution, cus in he end we don't really ever get to keep the games anyways

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, PS3 emulation itself is fully possible with the PS5 hardware, but sony would rather not invest and use the cheap and easy solution, cus in he end we don't really ever get to keep the games anyways
I swear every other day as much as Sony likes to distance itself from the PS3 era, the PS5 era is going to look as bad as the PS3 era if they keep up the anti-consumer moves.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear every other day as much as Sony likes to distance itself from the PS3 era, the PS5 era is going to look as bad as the PS3 era if they keep up the anti-consumer moves.
they seem to like distancing themselves from the vita more judging by how they didn't even bother emulating it or adding it to any tier....

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
And "Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy."??? Just kind of weird.
You are right, this feels weird :
Pay monthly to test game without paying...

I think the time-limited game trial should be available for everyone, even without PS+ ! This would be a real "test before buying".
All games should have Demo, either specific part of the game (decided by the developers) or start of the game with a limited time you can play (1 hour for example) or first level, first track, etc.
And not starting from the download time, but really from the launch time!

they made that test before in UK with 2 games, and the time counter started at download.... (ADSL and slow internet people couldn't even launch their game once it was installed, too late :lol:)

Reactions: Tsukiru

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS3 emulation for select titles is completely possible on the PS5 hardware. RPCS3 can do it on weaker hardware than the PS5 and Sony has the advantage of being able to use their own hardware and IP do make an emulator whereas RPCS3 has to reverse engineer how a PS3 works then make code that approximates what to do (HLE) from scratch.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the time-limited game trial should be available for everyone, even without PS+ ! This would be a real "test before buying".
All games should have Demo, either specific part of the game (decided by the developers) or start of the game with a limited time you can play (1 hour for example) or first level, first track, etc.
You're basically paying for access to a kisok demo, a really weird "feature." Also,
the time counter started at download....
U wot.

Reactions: cvskid

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last edited by Cyan,

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m gonna need to see that “catalogue” of PS2 titles. I’m assuming it’s the same stuff that is available on PS3, in which case, lol.
I'm hesitant to believe that there'll be more (new) titles added to the service, but will see i guess.
I hoped they made (or imagined they could)... where you could insert your official Game disc (PS1/PS2/PS3) and the console let you download the game on PS4/PS5.
Not possible for PS1 and some early PS2 CD based games, as the PS4/PS5 can't read CDs, there's no laser inside to detect & read them, only DVD/Bluray discs games for PS4, not sure about the PS5 if it can read DVDs though.
The PS3 was the last console that can read CDs.
As for PS3 games in PS4/5, there's no BC yet and until they do that it should work in theory.

Not sure how they will work with the Cloud and what they're using to achieve that, and if they ever decide to bring that functionality to the PS5, as in downloading PS3 games and playing them on the system, i hope they give you the ability to use your disc instead of forcing you buying to buy them again..
Sony: WHAT THE FUCK IS A VITA?!
Sad. I hope whatever handheld they release in the future will have some form of BC with the Vita titles, although not likely, but with success of the Switch there's a chance they might change their mind on it, and with all what went wrong/ happened with the Vita..

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah, too bad. I thought the drive limitation could be an issue, but I wasn't sure what it was compatible with. Maybe not even DVD (or Sony would need to pay a license, right? or DVD are owned by Sony too?).

Reactions: CoolMe

Dubbicakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the announcement is in English what is the chance of it not about USA? The price is in US$
It specifically says for markets without streaming, makes it very unlikely they'd offer us this cheaper mid-tier when they could charge more while locking the most wanted games behind the highest tier.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It specifically says for markets without streaming, makes it very unlikely they'd offer us this cheaper mid-tier when they could charge more while locking the most wanted games behind the highest tier.
I mistook that to be the premium tier. Streaming is definitely going to be available in the US. Not every locale but I wonder if they care. They are likely go to be saying take it or leave it. The plus games has been so lousy that I haven't been a subscriber for a few months already, looks like April is still going to be bad.

By the way PS+ subscription price isn't about the same globally just like Netflix price isn't the same globally. The content offered may differ slightly from time to time but way less differentiation than Netflix when it comes to what is available.

So maybe you can consider doing your search globally for the best deal then find someone to help with the payment method check. Japanese company do like to make it difficult for you to pay them money.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That'll be fixed in the next update