Gaming Please help my PC through this GBAtemp!

Sc4rFac3d

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, a few might remember me getting a new HD for my old hag. Turns out I found a cheap internal 320GB one. I installed everything in the PC and when I started it up the problems started showing up already, naturally I was expecting this. So I changed the HD cable and that seemed to actually get it starting up. Though as soon as I hit the desktop, my PC restarts. Forgot my PSU is only 200watt and 150watt on some kinda mode, not alot as you can see. I removed the floppy and DVD drive and it seemed to do fine. Before this it was doing fine with everything connected but without the new HD.

Aren't HDs only supposed to use like 10watt or something? What seems to be the deal on this? The difference in power usage shouldn't differ that much from the 60GB drive right?

I figured I could make the PC boot from the new HD but I have absolutely no idea in doing this. Is it possible to transfer the data from my old 60gig to the new 320gig, including the Windows jumbo and whatnot. After this I could just disconnect the old drive and put the DVD drive in and start installing my old PC games I missed out on.

tl;dr - So basically I want to replace my old drive with the new one, but I want all the files from the old to the new drive. How does one achieve this?

Thanks in advance for helping out this hardware noob 'temp!
happy.gif

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sc4rFac3d said:
So, a few might remember me getting a new HD for my old hag. Turns out I found a cheap internal 320GB one. I installed everything in the PC and when I started it up the problems started showing up already, naturally I was expecting this. So I changed the HD cable and that seemed to actually get it starting up. Though as soon as I hit the desktop, my PC restarts. Forgot my PSU is only 200watt and 150watt on some kinda mode, not alot as you can see. I removed the floppy and DVD drive and it seemed to do fine. Before this it was doing fine with everything connected but without the new HD.

Aren't HDs only supposed to use like 10watt or something? What seems to be the deal on this? The difference in power usage shouldn't differ that much from the 60GB drive right?

I figured I could make the PC boot from the new HD but I have absolutely no idea in doing this. Is it possible to transfer the data from my old 60gig to the new 320gig, including the Windows jumbo and whatnot. After this I could just disconnect the old drive and put the DVD drive in and start installing my old PC games I missed out on.

tl;dr - So basically I want to replace my old drive with the new one, but I want all the files from the old to the new drive. How does one achieve this?

Thanks in advance for helping out this hardware noob 'temp!
happy.gif

you need a BIGGER PSU!

your processor and graphics card and floppy all draw power 200watt is way too small for what you need a 400watt would be an absolute minimum here with a 500watt the advised wattage you need
smile.gif

as far as trasnferring everything over get ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE and image your 60gb as a whole windows and everything ...it may take several dvd disks. but they are pretty cheap now ..... altho you can compress to save a couple of disks
wink.gif

.. the alternate is to image your 60gb drive onto your 60gb drive if you havent filled it and have about 20-30gb spare you just make the image to the drive then restore from that drive to the 320gb or add the 320gb as a slave drive to the 60gb partition the 320gb and unpack your acronis image to the partition and make that partion bootable
smile.gif

Sc4rFac3d

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the help guys! I can't make an image and burn 60GB though right? At least not on DVD.

And kobykaan, I forgot to mention. I'm a cheap bastard on this one. I know I just need to shell out 30 bucks or so for a new PSU, especially since my video card has a cable connected to it. But I just want to transfer the data right now and see how it'll perform. If all else fails I'll just buy one. I guess it's more of an experiment.

After looking some more I found out about Norton Ghost, it can clone the exact drive onto another HD. I'll try doing this in the meantime. I'll try the True Image thing afterwards.

QUOTE said:
.. the alternate is to image your 60gb drive onto your 60gb drive if you havent filled it and have about 20-30gb spare you just make the image to the drive then restore from that drive to the 320gb or add the 320gb as a slave drive to the 60gb partition the 320gb and unpack your acronis image to the partition and make that partion bootable smile.gif
Didn't really get this one.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sc4rFac3d said:
QUOTE said:
.. the alternate is to image your 60gb drive onto your 60gb drive if you havent filled it and have about 20-30gb spare you just make the image to the drive then restore from that drive to the 320gb or add the 320gb as a slave drive to the 60gb partition the 320gb and unpack your acronis image to the partition and make that partion bootable smile.gif
Didn't really get this one.

with ghost or tru image you can backup your entire drive to multiple DVD rom disks or to a single file on a hard drive either external usb or internal one on a totally different drive to your main drive or on a second partion of your main drive if its split with a partition program such as partiton magic etc
smile.gif

you could attache the 320gb drive as a second drive to the 60gb drive and format it in windows and partition it then make your image file of the 60gb drive and save it to the 320gb drive instead of blank dvds
smile.gif

you could also make one partion or bit of the 320gb drive a bootable partition/part and install the backed up imagefile/windows drive that you imaged with ghost/tru image etc onto this bootable part of the 320gb and then re add the 60gb as a second drive after the 320gb
smile.gif

example .. i had a crappy 8gb drive for windows that was going faulty so i bought a 320gb hard drive .. i formatted this drive in windows as a second drive attached to the computer then I split the drive into 4 with partition magic 20gb reserved for windows and the rest split into 3 equal parts approx 100gb each ....

I used tru image to backup the 8gb drive onto a couple of blank dvds (u can also use another hard drive or hard drive partition example i could of used 1 of the 100gb chunks of the 320gb but chose to use dvds for my backup purpose...

once done you can remove the drive in my case my 8gb crappy drive and then using the pre made boot cd that tru image makes (follow the instructions in tru image how to make one) to boot up from setting bios to boot cd first .. I then got it to roll out my 8gb drive image from the disks I made earlier out onto the 20gb partition of the 320gb hard drive and rebooted once done the 320gb then boots up the 20gb partition as if its the 8gb with 12gb extra as a bonus ... with everything on there as if the 8gb was never removed in the first place
smile.gif

up and running again within an hour from a pre made image instead of hours doing it manually
wink.gif

does that make more sense??

Sc4rFac3d

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, I do now. Thanks. But instead of an image I just copied the whole C drive to my new drive with Norton Ghost. So basically I have two of the same drives now. I figured that would do the trick. So I removed the old drive, put the new one on Master and booted up.

Unfortunately I came across a black screen with the text that Windows couldn't be started because of some configuration problem. What do I do to correct this? I tried resetting the ECSD thing in my bios but that did do no good. First boot priority was set to the drive too.
frown.gif

Do I need to make the drive bootable as you mentioned above? If so, how do I do this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu