PLEASE HELP, NOSTALGIA ALERT! How to soft mod a PS2 using only flash drives.

RookTheRH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I am a hardcore nostalgic dude and I have a PS2 and want to play on it, but it does no longer read disc's. So I need it to be softmoded to be able to somehow use it. The question is, is there any method to softmod PS2 without the cheating cd or stuff, using only flashdrive or multiple ones?

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
@Justinde75 You don't need anything to boot mcboot, action replay or otherwise. Once its installed to the memory card, the ps2 will boot it on startup as long as that memory card is inserted. You only need exploitable software to install mcboot on the memory card in the first place.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i remember it used to require a specified PS1 game to act as a boot disc, pretty sure things have changed since then i read around the time the PS3 was hacked that not only did the PS3 hack lead to being able to sign PSP stuff, but also PS2 which lead to the autobooting freeMC stuff *iirc*,

now to clarify for the people saying you need a action replay it was only the action replay max that ran homebrew from the USB that worked to install freeMC(this was the back in the day name) so it wouldn't help to get the action replay V2....but as the OP said he can't play discs he would probably need to either install on a friends PS2, use the PC memory card adapter or buy a memory card with it pre-installed which imho would probably be the cheapest/easiest option

finkmac

Trophies
Website
www.epicwinrar.com
XP
Country
Canada
If you have an HD Adapter and an IDE hard disk, you can write a particular image which will boot the exploit when you turn on the console.
The image is called "Free HD Boot" or something along those lines, it has copywritten stuff on it though, so don't post it around here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol