Hacking Discussion Please remember that some developers don't want to be associated with piracy

tomGER

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This thread is not about game sells, piracy itself hurting Nintendo or anything like that. It's about piracy getting connected to homebrew developers!

Since people already seem to not get this post - TL;DR Do your piracy but remember that it could always lead to others that did nothing wrong getting bad karma because they get associated with piracy!

The last 2 days have been one of the most hyped times for homebrew as I thought it would be amazing that we could finally mod our games but since people discovered a way to create a "backup-loader" in the loadiine-style and started spreading my ZIP to locations of the internet I'm not allowed to talk about, here is my standpoint on LayeredFS, SDFilesSwitch and hekate:

Hekate has been one of the best things that happened to this community since it gave immense boosts to time and creativity spend on homebrew and so am I also thankful that SDFilesSwitch has nearly become the standard SDFiles in this community but I'm not here to thank you all, I'm instead here to get angry at you all. LayeredFS needs a certain kernel-patch, a kernel patch that requires us to (currently) patch some official Nintendo code to make it work, this code is copyrighted and as such it's completely illegal to share that code. While most people probably shared that file with good intention, I'll have to remind everyone that this file is not allowed to be shared and as such would also fall under GBATemps general rules. While people would be really happy if I included that kernel patch in the zip I would never do that and since I won't, other people already did. I found immense numbers of modified versions of my SDFiles created for piracy and not for the original intention of allowing people access to the homebrew scene and all it's amazing projects. This is sadly not the only part. I have seen tons of SDFile builds that still feature all the talented contributors, developers and me under the credits list. That means that if some pirate starts their piracy-infested SDFiles build, I and others would be the first thing they would see what may sound like a good thing, I mean, we get some credits, right?

But it really isn't! - The names of the developers and mine will be remembered by those who started the piracy infested SDFiles and will throw bad light at us, people that just wanted to share homebrew and create open-source stuff.

My request here is that you, as a consumer, developer or creator should think about your sources and if you'd really want to go down the path and download these illegal kernel patches just to insert some backups into you game and if you do, I'd like to ask you if you're okay with people like nwert leaving because their product and name is getting connected to piracy.

The """backup-loader""" already caused immense damage to the community and features we would have gotten by nwert like emuNAND. Piracy is also the fault that the homebrew scene got this awful bias opinion from nearly all sites, even though we only try our best at creating stuff that thinks outside the limited box Nintendo gives us.

I'm probably speaking for a lot of us if I'm saying that we're not connected, responsible or justifiable for the content of those modifications.

and please don't spread your piracy boastfulness over all forums, you can enjoy piracy and backup loaders but please, just don't brag about it. ._.

Last edited by tomGER,

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let me get this straight.
LayeredFS needs a certain kernel-patch, a kernel patch that requires us to (currently) patch some official Nintendo code to make it work, this code is copyrighted and as such it's completely illegal to share that code.

The code that YOU shared is copyrighted? By Who? Nintendo? Does your code contains Nintendo Code aka SDK stuff?

Deleted member 373223

Pink = Best colour
Trophies
XP
I just wanted to see if it actually worked and it's efficency, I'm gonna stick to modding, but it's fun to test out anything.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So let me get this straight.

The code that YOU shared is copyrighted? By Who? Nintendo? Does your code contains Nintendo Code aka SDK stuff?
He didn't share the code. Someone else built it and made a modified version of his sdfiles, and since he is in the credits, people are gonna link him to piracy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol