Hacking Discussion Please remember that some developers don't want to be associated with piracy

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, you have no clue what you're responding to? Just spitballing and hoping something sticks? Why even talk at all?

I will ask you the same question. In your post, you have no idea what you are talking about, so why are you wasting our time?

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has been done since probably Julius Caesar times.

Theres NOTHING new that has been done here, so, your worry is that people are loading a pre-patched kernel?

Thats not new, people has been doing this for years.

Android? Patched Kernels? Custom Kernels, Luma 3DS that patches Signatures, Dark Alex that Patched the FULL OS from the PSP.

Again, this is nothing new.. its even better if this is done via On The Fly, however, to each their own.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is exactly why I implore devs to keep their works private and away from this "community".

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A brick wall would provide better conversation..
The community is fine, save for a few overly toxic members, a few of which went way overboard with the insults in this very thread.

Again, completely out of context - I never mentioned game sales ones in that entire text ...
You implied it with the title though, mentioning developers, creators, and consumers.

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The last 2 days have been one of the most hyped times for homebrew as I thought it would be amazing that we could finally mod our games but since people discovered a way to create a "backup-loader" in the loadiine-style and started spreading my ZIP to locations of the internet I'm not allowed to talk about, here is my standpoint on LayeredFS, SDFilesSwitch and hekate:

Hekate has been one of the best things that happened to this community since it gave immense boosts to time and creativity spend on homebrew and so am I also thankful that SDFilesSwitch has nearly become the standard SDFiles in this community but I'm not here to thank you all, I'm instead here to get angry at you all. LayeredFS needs a certain kernel-patch, a kernel patch that requires us to (currently) patch some official Nintendo code to make it work, this code is copyrighted and as such it's completely illegal to share that code. While most people probably shared that file with good intention, I'll have to remind everyone that this file is not allowed to be shared and as such would also fall under GBATemps general rules. While people would be really happy if I included that kernel patch in the zip I would never do that and since I won't, other people already did. I found immense numbers of modified versions of my SDFiles created for piracy and not for the original intention of allowing people access to the homebrew scene and all it's amazing projects. This is sadly not the only part. I have seen tons of SDFile builds that still feature all the talented contributes, developers and me under the credits list. That means that if some pirate starts their piracy-infested SDFiles build, I and others would be the first thing they would see what may sound like a good thing, I mean, we get some credits, right?

But it really isn't! - The names of the developers and mine will be remembered by those who started the piracy infested SDFiles and will throw bad light at us, people that just wanted to share homebrew and create open-source stuff.

My request here is that you, as a consumer, developer or creator should think about your sources and if you'd really want to go down the path and download these illegal kernel patches just to insert some backups into you game and if you do, I'd like to ask you if you're okay with people like nwert leaving because their product and name is getting connected to piracy.

The """backup-loader""" already caused immense damage to the community and features we would have gotten by nwert like emuNAND. Piracy is also the fault that the homebrew scene got this awful bias opinion from nearly all sites, even though we only try our best at creating stuff that thinks outside the limited box Nintendo gives us.

I'm probably speaking for a lot of us if I'm saying that we're not connected, responsible or justifiable for the content of those modifications. We will never support piracy!

and please don't spread your piracy boastfulness over all forums, you can enjoy piracy and backup loaders but please, just don't brag about it. ._.

Since people already seem to not get this post - TL;DR Do your piracy but remember that it could always lead to others that did nothing wrong getting bad karma because they get associated with piracy!

This comment also describes it pretty well
Chill out dude. Only about 1-2% of the world pirates anything. Whether that be video games, music, movies, etc... Content providers want you to think otherwise since they are greedy, filthy, human beings like the rest of use. The reason why it's only 1-2% is because it usually takes a high, to advanced knowledge of computers to hack anything in the world. 99% of the population doesn't even know the difference between a .exe file and a .rar file. Even very well layed out turorials are more trouble than it's worth for 99% of the population. So, in the end, don't lose any sleep over it, and enjoy the fact that you have a certain knowledge that 99% of the population does not have.

A Generic User

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are people really bitching about this.....

What do most people who hack a console want out of it? Run Linux? Create custom programs? Maybe duplicate the OS for other platforms? Fuck no it's so people can play games without buying them. Why buy what you can get for free? Some people don't have morals! Do I like things that way? No of course not, but surely just telling your child they're misbehaving isn't sufficient for actually getting their behavior to change.

Hackers have been trying to develop console tools solely for the development of homebrew and yet it almost always leads to piracy. Not just because these hacks make it possible, but because that's what many actually want out of it. But if hackers are really going to get salty over people using their shit for pirated games (glad I don't have to euphemise the language here....right?), they seriously need to reevaluate the community they're releasing it to. If hackers really wanted to disallow piracy, they would develop everything in secret and never release anything: that way if someone wants to pirate games, they can figure it out themselves and so everything they get punished for falls on them.

tomGER

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The community is fine, save for a few overly toxic members, a few of which went way overboard with the insults in this very thread.

You implied it with the title though, mentioning developers, creators, and consumers.
Hmm yeah, I'll ask to change it and added some warning to the post - But it showed me how easily triggered and ignorant some parts of the community can be - I'd say that around 75% of the comments didn't even read the post and started hating

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States

What do most people who hack a console want out of it? Run Linux? Create custom programs? Maybe duplicate the OS for other platforms? Fuck no it's so people can play games without buying them. Why buy what you can get for free? Some people don't have morals! Do I like things that way? No of course not, but surely just telling your child they're misbehaving isn't sufficient for actually getting their behavior to change.

Hackers have been trying to develop console tools solely for the development of homebrew and yet it almost always leads to piracy. Not just because these hacks make it possible, but because that's what many actually want out of it. But if hackers are really going to get salty over people using their shit for pirated games (glad I don't have to euphemise the language here....right?), they seriously need to reevaluate the community they're releasing it to. If hackers really wanted to disallow piracy, they would develop everything in secret and never release anything: that way if someone wants to pirate games, they can figure it out themselves and so everything they get punished for falls on them.

They would share with the people they trust and nothing more. They just want attention and then they go and REEEEEE with it leads to piracy. Like wtf dude

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is not about game sells, piracy itself hurting Nintendo or anything like that. It's about piracy getting connected to homebrew developers!

Since people already seem to not get this post - TL;DR Do your piracy but remember that it could always lead to others that did nothing wrong getting bad karma because they get associated with piracy!

The last 2 days have been one of the most hyped times for homebrew as I thought it would be amazing that we could finally mod our games but since people discovered a way to create a "backup-loader" in the loadiine-style and started spreading my ZIP to locations of the internet I'm not allowed to talk about, here is my standpoint on LayeredFS, SDFilesSwitch and hekate:

Hekate has been one of the best things that happened to this community since it gave immense boosts to time and creativity spend on homebrew and so am I also thankful that SDFilesSwitch has nearly become the standard SDFiles in this community but I'm not here to thank you all, I'm instead here to get angry at you all. LayeredFS needs a certain kernel-patch, a kernel patch that requires us to (currently) patch some official Nintendo code to make it work, this code is copyrighted and as such it's completely illegal to share that code. While most people probably shared that file with good intention, I'll have to remind everyone that this file is not allowed to be shared and as such would also fall under GBATemps general rules. While people would be really happy if I included that kernel patch in the zip I would never do that and since I won't, other people already did. I found immense numbers of modified versions of my SDFiles created for piracy and not for the original intention of allowing people access to the homebrew scene and all it's amazing projects. This is sadly not the only part. I have seen tons of SDFile builds that still feature all the talented contributes, developers and me under the credits list. That means that if some pirate starts their piracy-infested SDFiles build, I and others would be the first thing they would see what may sound like a good thing, I mean, we get some credits, right?

But it really isn't! - The names of the developers and mine will be remembered by those who started the piracy infested SDFiles and will throw bad light at us, people that just wanted to share homebrew and create open-source stuff.

My request here is that you, as a consumer, developer or creator should think about your sources and if you'd really want to go down the path and download these illegal kernel patches just to insert some backups into you game and if you do, I'd like to ask you if you're okay with people like nwert leaving because their product and name is getting connected to piracy.

The """backup-loader""" already caused immense damage to the community and features we would have gotten by nwert like emuNAND. Piracy is also the fault that the homebrew scene got this awful bias opinion from nearly all sites, even though we only try our best at creating stuff that thinks outside the limited box Nintendo gives us.

I'm probably speaking for a lot of us if I'm saying that we're not connected, responsible or justifiable for the content of those modifications. We will never support piracy!

and please don't spread your piracy boastfulness over all forums, you can enjoy piracy and backup loaders but please, just don't brag about it. ._.
ooh, I've never seen those kinds of formating in threads here

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
They would share with the people they trust and nothing more. They just want attention and then they go and REEEEEE with it leads to piracy. Like wtf dude
I don't even think it's the piracy that's the issue. If they couldn't foresee that, then I've got nothing to say. For me, it's the general attitude against a certain stance that shows issue.

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i mean, at the End everyone of them pretty sure do Piracy as well, it is more like a "Codex" to not do Piracy to never get in trouble hacking companies left and right, same goes for me, I hack Payment Systems, left and right. But since I "tell" them I do, I get slipped out so... yeah pretty much the same.

At the End, ofc. sad he is gone, but TX will take over EmuNand Part only part might be dieng is Homebrew, that no one really cares for, at least on this Forum :D

PS: Never heard of my German Fellower who created this Thread, what did he done? What he developed?

Last edited by ehnoah,

tomGER

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Chill out dude. Only about 1-2% of the world pirates anything. Whether that be video games, music, movies, etc... Content providers want you to think otherwise since they are greedy, filthy, human beings like the rest of use. The reason why it's only 1-2% is because it usually takes a high, to advanced knowledge of computers to hack anything in the world. 99% of the population doesn't even know the difference between a .exe file and a .rar file. Even very well layed out turorials are more trouble than it's worth for 99% of the population. So, in the end, don't lose any sleep over it, and enjoy the fact that you have a certain knowledge that 99% of the population does not have.
Again, not what this post is about - It wasn't even mentioned ...

That's one of the first valid pro-arguments I have heard in this thread and I can get behind, the problem is that a lot of hackers are already slowly drifting into developing stuff secretly what is kinda sad since Open-Source solutions can bring us much much more

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
most people dont buy every single game anyway so if someone were to 'pirate' a bad game they would not play it through, delete it and not give it a review or recommendation , okay good... but if someone bought a game and forced themselves to finish it even though it was terrible and gave it a bad review and told people not to buy, big problem.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think hackers, piracy or not, will always get bad karma from the general public. Just look at sites like Nintendolife or Gonintendo that get swarmed with hate comments towards hackers everytime an article related to hacking is posted.

The general public doesn’t know the difference. To them, hackers are all bad. I think we should stick together as a group and enjoy what we can have.

Also, it’s not like people will use LayeredFS forever. They will quickly forget about it once a more convenient method of warez launching is accomplished. They might even forget about it once Team Executer’s product finds its way to the households.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't even think it's the piracy that's the issue. If they couldn't foresee that, then I've got nothing to say. For me, it's the general attitude against a certain stance that shows issue.

Oh I got that from OP post. It's more they don't like their name attached to it. I get it but this comes with it. In a perfect world everyone would pay for their shit but we don't live in that kind of world and we never will soooooo

A Generic User

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's one of the first valid pro-arguments I have heard in this thread and I can get behind, the problem is that a lot of hackers are already slowly drifting into developing stuff secretly what is kinda sad since Open-Source solutions can bring us much much more
Yeah I don't like it either but ultimately it's the developer's choice of whether to release it or not, and I'll have to respect said choice.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the edgiest, most summer set of replies I've seen in a long-ass time.

When you guys are done looking cool, check out the rules section. If this website is so dickhard for piracy where's the links to files?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nobody is reading what you post.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.