Hardware Pls that 3.95 won't play anything. Shuts down

rickwj324

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a psp phat that's running 3.95 firmware. If I try to launch anything...umd game, update file, etc, it goes to launch but just shuts down. I wanted to update firmware but cannot. Tried a downloaded firmware from PC to memory stick and from WiFi system update (which downloads fine but shuts down on install). Is the hardware just screwed or is there a possible fix?

Thanks

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would try a couple of different things like a different memory card. turning the wifi switch off and trying games. Making sure battery is charged and try using the system with power adapter plugged in. Just to see if any of it makes a difference. If you have a pandora battery, you could try that firmware install method if the regular one isn't working. If a UMD is in the system take it out.
Just some ideas not sure if any will help.

Reactions: rickwj324

rickwj324

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
System firmware shows as 3.95 (not a custom). Battery is fully charged. System is plugged in. I was going to install 6.61 firmware, then install custom, but the ofw firmware won't install. It was after attempting to run other things such as infinity process that I discovered nothing will run. Tried to do a firmware upgrade using several versions of ofw from memory stick, also tried updating via wifi, nothing. It was then that I pulled out a umd and it did the same thing. Also tried 2 memory sticks
I have a Pandora battery but it's probably 10 years old and won't charge. Is it possible that the firmware currently installed is some old cfw and is messed up? The system only states it as 3.95.

Sorry for the messed up SUBJECT description...stupid auto correct messed it up and I can't change it.

Last edited by rickwj324,

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes the firmware could be messed up... Messed up firmware can do some really strange things; just as messed up hardware can do as well...
Seeing as you have already tried upgrading to several different OFWs.

more risky alternative could be attempting to downgrade the firmware. Then upgrading afterwards to desired firmware.

edit: good rule of thumb is to not try to go to a lower firmware than what your psp actually shipped from the factory with...

Last edited by SonicMC,
D

Deleted User

Got a psp phat that's running 3.95 firmware. If I try to launch anything...umd game, update file, etc, it goes to launch but just shuts down. I wanted to update firmware but cannot. Tried a downloaded firmware from PC to memory stick and from WiFi system update (which downloads fine but shuts down on install). Is the hardware just screwed or is there a possible fix?

Thanks

Show a picture of system version info

Just did a psp that was on 3.03 oe-c and was a nightmare to update.

rickwj324

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... after not getting anywhere with this thing (I never modded it myself, it's just one I picked up off CL and never touched it, thought I'd finally mod it) I decided to build a pandora battery and mms using one of my other psp's. Successfully created the stick and battery and was able to update the PSP. I first updated it to 5.00 (ofw) and it still will not launch any program (anything from memory stick or launching a UMD). Still goes to the Sony logo and shuts down. I then upgraded to 5.00 M33-4 from the MMS and it still will not run anything.

I'm at a loss. I was hoping that replacing the firmware would fix the problem. I'm seriously thinking it's a physical hardware issue. Any ideas??

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a hardware issue...
But I got my old psp out to take a look at options you might have.
  • Under system settings try restore default settings
  • Holding L and turning on should get to recovery settings
  1. Under Configuration make sure things look normal. Like make sure fake region is turned off. not sure what the defaults are for most. (although maybe in your case maybe enable skip sony logo and gameboot since that's when it powers off. maybe those are messed up?)
  2. under advance -- advanced config, you can check if plugins are enabled.
  3. cpu speed -- make sure it's default
  4. Plugins see what you have and what's enabled. Look for anything funny.
  5. could try a psx eboot. pops playstation games might load differently... maybe you could use it to at least play something... or at least tell you something.
  6. under advance, there is some options for formatting flash1 and flash2. not sure what they do, but you could read up on them. maybe useful.
  7. under advance, there is options to toggle the psp flash to usb. Dangerous (I would think with the pandora battery you could recover but I don't really know), but if you are willing to look through those and compare to another psp that is working you might find something. maybe some file should of flashed but didn't...?

also found this thread on another forum. not sure if applies. http://forums.dashhacks.com/psp-help/262324-psp-turns-off-everytime-i-load-something.html
Maybe useful

Good luck: as I'm probably out of ideas at this point...

Reactions: rickwj324

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one