Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
QUOTE(Liberty @ Aug 16 2010, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE said:
QUOTE(smf @ Aug 17 2010, 12:18 AM)
Whitelisting would be pointless, HBC is about allowing people to run homebrew.Everyone seems to be missing the point (on purpose??).
This. I thought IOS58 is just for better stability, USB2 and nothing else? Who really cares about piracy, non-piracy or whatever. Maybe someone really just wants to try a game before he buys, would anyone want to lock out these people too?
Well, if you look and actually read my post, you'll find I never used the term 'piracy'. It's clear that TT approves of some apps (those which they've allowed to remain on wiibrew) and some they don't (those which they've removed from wiibrew), for whatever reason. A logical extension of this, all to protect the noobs from bricking their Wiis of course, is to simply expand their enforcement directly with their app, which they'd also be entitled to do, just as they are entitled to do whatever they want with their website. Why is that so difficult to comprehend? Whitelisting would be as 'pointless' as removing the apps from their website, or even moreso, because it could actually be used to keep all the noobs nice and safe, whereas their current effort does nothing but force them to go elsewhere for the unapproved apps.

And since everyone seems to be largely ignoring this point, what exactly was it TT was trying to do when they contacted Nintendo in the earlier days, if not wanting to help them 'lock out these people too'? Just because Nintendo reportedly never responded, that doesn't mean TT changed their stance, does it? At the very least, they demonstrated that they were willing to sacrifice the filthy pirates amongst us to gain favor for their homebrew efforts. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether that was right or wrong.

Hush now baby, baby, don't you cry
Momma's gonna check out all your Wii apps for you
Momma won't let anyone dirty get through
Momma's gonna wait up until you get in
Momma will always find out where you've been
Momma's gonna keep Baby healthy and clean
Oooo Babe
Oooo Babe
Ooo Babe, you'll always be Baby to me

Mother, did it need to be so high?

smile.gif

EDIT: And just to add, I've never said this ability is included in HBC 1.0.8. The original question asked, which I believe still remains in the thread, was along the lines of "How long do you think it'll be before they start blacklisting apps?" No one, to the best of my knowledge, including me, has ever suggested a date at which this could/would happen.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Skizzo

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Er... what?

I think the pointless part is not letting it go.
You made a blog to get in the last word.
Last word? How about any word. Take a look at the number of posts, including many/most of mine, that were removed because of...well you can read that for yourself. I really like those simply giving 'blah' for the reason. The post above was removed because it was said to contain 'pointless accusations'. Nothing in that post is an accusation, pointless or otherwise. Did the mod who removed it not know TT has repeatedly stated that they contacted Nintendo in the early days for the reason stated, and just thought I made that bit up? That's the only thing that could possibly be construed as an 'accusation' if the mod didn't know this was something TT openly discusses. Otherwise, I honestly don't know where the whole 'pointless accusation' bit is coming from, given that the rest of the post is merely speculation about the future, and it's quite difficult to accuse someone of a future crime as this isn't fucking Minority Report.
laugh.gif

http://gbatemp.net/t248245-hbc-1-0-8-updat...t&p=3050465

I made the blog for one or more of the reasons listed in the post above.
smile.gif
So here I am. Sorry if I got your hopes up that this was some sort of supermarket tabloid type of story. It's just me speculating what TT could do at some point in the future to make the Wii homebrew scene virtually 'noob proof', most effectively by whitelisting the apps they want to allow to run on HBC, and denying all others. That's speculation, not accusation. And if I must say so myself, it does seem like the most effective way they could go about carrying on their mission of protecting the noobs from bricking their Wiis, if you genuinely do believe that to be their main goal while enabling homebrew on the Wii. No harm, no foul here.

Now, how do I go about deleting all this spammy shit in my blog?
laugh.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You've said almost for the entire thread that TT is conspiring with Nintendo to brick our Wiis/block Backup Loaders and what's not.

That's just plain flamebait and/or trying to cause general panic.

Disassemble the freaking HBC wad or something, back up your claims with some proof, and THEN we'll let them stay.

Skizzo

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
You've said almost for the entire thread that TT is conspiring with Nintendo to brick our Wiis/block Backup Loaders and what's not.

That's just plain flamebait and/or trying to cause general panic.

Disassemble the freaking HBC wad or something, back up your claims with some proof, and THEN we'll let them stay.
Show me where I once claimed that they WERE doing anything, especially BRICKING Wiis and blocking Backup Loaders. You're not telling the truth. I never said they WERE doing anything, as in actively doing it right now. But plenty of people have SAID THEY WEREN'T doing this or that without any fucking proof whatsoever and you don't seem to have a problem letting those posts stay. I was always speaking in future tense terms, and as I've already pointed out, the question that started all of this, which WASN'T asked by me, was somthing along the lines of "How long do you think it'll be before TT start blacklisting apps?" I notice that not a single fucking one of the responses along the lines of "never", "very difficult", or "IMPOSSIBLE!", ALL CLAIMS NOT BEING BACKED UP BY ANY PROOF, were removed for the same reasons you'd like to claim my posts, and others like them, were removed.

So, gbatemp's postition in fact appears to be if you're saying anything positive about TT and what they MAY plan on doing, with or without any proof whatsoever (and often which can be easily disproven, such as the claim that it'd be difficult, if not impossible to 'blacklist' apps or that TT has NEVER and would NEVER conspire with Nintendo - WTF?! they already tried to do exactly that, not to BRICK Wii's, as you so graciously decided to twist my words into, but to help them fight piracy and there are many ways TT/Nintendo could do that but people like you like to use the threat of 'panic' to justify their actions and in order to do so, you must twist words like Easter egg into BRICK), then that get's the OK. Do the opposite and it's gone. And if you'll read my latest post explaining whitelisting, you'll see that it's not even anything to get 'panicy' about, especially if you'd claim to support TT's goals of making homebrew on the Wii 'noobproof'.

Oh, here's my post I was referring to.

Skizzo said:
smf said:
QUOTE(nl255 @ Aug 17 2010, 06:15 PM) Are you sure they all work fine and won't cause any problems later (such as bricking or being locked out of HBC)? If so then I will go ahead and reinstall the cioses and Priiloader/wad manager/cfgloader.

There is zero chance of Team Twiizers purposefully bricking your Wii or locking you out of HBC because of what you have installed.
The only thing you have to fear is the people who have been spreading rumours that they will.
Since when does 'whitelisting' = being locked out of HBC?
rolleyes.gif

Haven't TT essentially stated, repeatedly, that everything they're doing is to help 'noob proof' homebrew on the Wii? If that is indeed their goal, they why in the hell wouldn't they implement some sort of whitelisting? What in the hell have the anti-malware/virus companies done in order to protect idiots who'll run anything on their PC's? EXACTLY the same thing. There's not even anything inherently wrong with it (shit! people actually PAY for it) and if common sense prevailed around here and you were in agreement with TT's goals, then it'd acually be something you'd be requesting. So why everyone gets upset when the idea gets mentioned is beyond me. Again, whitelisting DOES NOT equal 'locking you out of HBC because of what you have installed', just like the PC AV apps that implement it don't lock you out of your fucking PC either. They simply inform you that the particular application you're about to run could possibly be dangerous for one or more reasons, and then they let you decide whether you still want to run it or not. Of course, TT could decide to not give you that choice, but so what. Everyone I've seen getting defensive over mentioning whitelisting oddly appears to support the decision to remove all the 'unapproved' apps from wiibrew, so you must agree that they are apps that people don't need to be running on their Wiis, so why not help ensure that with more proactive means? You people are reading way too fucking much into this simple idea of whitelisting apps.

That's the fucking problem, people can't read or they can but they still choose to misrepresent what's actually been said, erecting their strawmen 'rumours'. So, the only real thing you have to 'fear' is idiots who can't read or who can, but for whatever reasons, choose to twist words instead.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think I have seen this blog before.
1. Post flame bait/reply to flamebait
2. get modded
3. QQ
4. Post rant/more flamebait
5. Rage
6. QQ
7. Repeat till banned

I don't see why people can't just let a mods decision go.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
what_the_fuck_am_i_reading_copy_142.jpg
rofl.gif

QUOTE(purplesludge @ Aug 17 2010, 07:14 PM) I think I have seen this blog before.
1. Post flame bait/reply to flamebait
2. get modded
3. QQ
4. Post rant/more flamebait
5. Rage
6. QQ
7. Repeat till banned
8.??????
9. Profit!!!
I don't see why people can't just let a mods decision go.
fix
laugh.gif

I do not know , they really should :/

Skizzo

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Full version of shortened post at http://gbatemp.net/t248245-hbc-1-0-8-updat...amp;p=3053223...
tueidj said:
Skizzo said:
That's the fucking problem, people can't read or they can but they still choose to misrepresent what's actually been said, erecting their strawmen 'rumours'. So, the only real thing you have to 'fear' is idiots who can't read or who can, but for whatever reasons, choose to twist words instead.
Like yourself?

hackmii.comFor a while, we had plans of making some sort of “App Store” to go with it — much like the one present with Installer.app on the iPhone at the time — but those never made it off the ground. One thing that would go along with that would have been signature verification — one thing we could have done would have been to set up our own PKI and start signing “good” apps, but that would put us into the position of being a gatekeeper and deciding what was good and what wasn’t, and that wasn’t something I ever really wanted to be responsible for. [...] Part of the problem there would have been deciding what we want to allow — sure, 100% homebrew games would have been pretty easy to allow and ISOloaders would have been easy to reject, but what of all of the things in between? There’s a whole gray area out there of software — emulators, WAD extraction / installation utilities, system file patchers, updaters — we have a hard enough time agreeing on what software we like, much less deciding what everyone else “should” be using.

So STFU already, they've already said HBC will not decide what you can/can't run.
So I take it these folks are much more trustworthy than yourself?
laugh.gif
Anyways, for those who would like to read the above in its entire context see http://hackmii.com/2010/05/of_homebrew_and_antipiracy/

Wow...STFU already? I didn't think we were allowed to say such things around here. But I guess you'd know more about that than me.

Anyways, as you can clearly see, but you fail to mention, that post is regarding them not wanting to decide what apps are 'gray' when it comes to piracy enabling apps. Nothing to do with whitelisting in the context I've used it, 'noob proofing' homebrew. And of course, that post was written over 3 months ago. Didn't something significant happen between then and now, like umm...HBC 1.0.8? And didn't they, since then, start deciding what apps we 'should' be running by removing certain ones they thought we 'shouldn't' be running from their website? Granted, we can still obtain and run them, but they're sending a very clear fucking message. They'd like to see cIOS's as a thing of the past. And they've taken a small step in pushing that forward. FFS...did you really miss all of that? No, of course not. You're just another perfect example of the type of people I was describing. Again, their recent actions aren't 'anti-piracy' per se, otherwise they wouldn't still have all the emulators on their site, which with very few exceptions, are all being used with illegal ROMs. But you and the others keep trying to frame this in the only way you know how, which is as an 'anti-piracy' issue, I guess because you think you can 'win' that argument. You're doing all of us a great service.
rolleyes.gif

BTW, thanks for pointing out the article. One thing it does do is put to rest the notion that TT couldn't, if they so chose, determine what apps can or cannot run on HBC. And another thing it does is clearly spell out their attempts to contact Nintendo to help them secure their system against piracy. Call it what you want. I don't have to refer to them as being anti-piracy because they did that though, because they don't have to be anti-piracy to be willing to help in that fight. As the 'Full Disclosure Policy' that bushing links to, which he states to Nintendo that he is trying to follow, suggests Coupled with compensation*, the experience is then beneficial to the researcher, vendor, and community. Its like a hunter who enjoys the hell out of hunting and learns of a landowner having trouble with wild boars tearing his fields to shit. The hunter might not really have anything against wild boars, but if he can get the land owner to agree to let him hunt on his land for other species, he'll gladly come over and kill as many of the wild boars as he can, regardless of whether or not he actually enjoys bacon.
laugh.gif
That's why, in response to all of the 'they're not against piracy' type of comments, now including yours, I said that at the very least, they demonstrated they were willing to 'sacrifice the filthy pirates amongst us' for their own gains, to which I left it up to the reader to decide for themselves whether they thought that was right or wrong. And bushing's own words in the article you couldn't bother actually linking to pretty much spell that out. Thanks again, I think this should get rid of a lot of the 'conspiracy crap' around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: yeehaw