Pokemon Go: Bringing Us All Together

Pokémon-GO-05.jpg

We all know what we did this weekend right?

Anyone with a smart phone spent their weekend crawling all over their respective neighborhoods, trespassing on private property and hastily snapping a shot of the koffing they caught while dropping something even worse smelling on the toilet.

When the concept of Pokemon Go came about, most of the world gleefully anticipated its release with excitement, while others pandered to their peers about all the ways the mobile game would flop for being another typical mobile game. We all expected something kinda good, or something miserable. But little did we know what kind of impact the game would have on our lives. Not even just your average lives, but your social life.

I spent my weekend running all over the Charlotte, North Carolina area with a group of friends. I encountered some rare little critters, got a hell of a lot of exercise, really wished I had applied that extra body spray, and tripped over my shoelace because holy shit there was a lapras nearby.

The game brought me enjoyment in its play, but there was more to it than the simplistic augmented reality creatures popping about every few minutes. The social atmosphere of seeing hundreds of people just like me running around with phones in their hands, smiles on their faces, excited eyes and shining enthusiasm was like nothing I had seen before.

i've always known gaming could bring people together in an online environment, or on the couch for co-op play. But I could never have imagined being able to walk up to perfect strangers of all types of race, clique', gender, age and interest and be doing the same thing all at once. I got phone numbers, facebook friends, group chats and the like from people i had never met before, because we were all racing around like children on a playground again.

Seeing people come together that would otherwise never say a word to each other, be too afraid of social interaction or unwilling to take that first step of saying hello to someone, can all unite under one super nerdy collectathon extravaganza with enthusiasm and happiness...

It's enough to make you smile through the weekend.

I'd love to here you all share your stories of Pokemon Go hunting this weekend. Did you meet new people? Did you find something freaking awesome in some dudes backyard? Did you get your 7th trespassing ticket? Share your story please, and stay safe out there.

And enjoy. :lol:

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I went to SGDQ2016 and it was retarded how many people in the US were playing Pokemon GO.

It was pretty funny when guys at this restaurant I went to were like "Dude I just found a rapidash in the kitchen!"
Haven't touched it myself since it still looks like garbage and i'm infinitely more interested in the battling portion of pokemon than the catching, and pokemon GO is more or less all about the catching.

Also hilarious to see the news reports of people getting robbed while playing Pokemon GO. Gotta hand it to criminals for keeping up with the times like that.

Reactions: Jiehfeng
D

Deleted User

I'm now friends with an O2 guru in the UK because of it, and I'm looking at cheaper ComicCon tickets c:

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Am I the only one that doesn't play this?

Seeing the news lately...
People trespassing dangerous construction sites to catch those things.
Muggers targeting players, police getting harassed inside their stations hell even hospitals getting poketards inside them, harassing sick people.
Cemeteries, railroads, highways...
I wouldn't be surprised if people get killed trying to catch them or getting shot to death by rednecks or getting beaten up and robbed by youth gangs for stepping on "their turf"

Idk, I mostly see negative sides to it (maybe I'm starting to become Nintendo)
Me bf plays it and I'm getting irked by how much he spends his time on his phone on that stupid game.

I hope that it'll be a craze just like the Tamagotchi's from the 90's and that it'll die out in a month or 2.

Reactions: pasoka and Seriel

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I didn't do that at all since it's not out in Brazil and my phone is 4.2.

Good thing it might not take long for it to come out in Brazil and dad just gave me his Galaxy Gran Duos which runs 5.0 :D ( Which I'll only transfer stuff when needed cuz I'm lazy ).

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need a camera to play. I don't use the camera feature because it makes my phone slow down.

The game is okay. I am going to catch tons when I go to my local library soon. I am only level 3 right now.
You are my best friend right now.
EDIT: Help, I downloaded the APK from the internet because of it not on the appstore.
It's stuck on the NIANTIC/The Pokemon Company screen.
EDITEDIT: Never mind, it just takes a billion years to load.

Last edited by supergamer368,
Reactions: Deleted User

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Only mobile game that's actually worth downloading IMO, because it takes advantage of all the things mobile gaming has to offer. Pretty much everything else can be done better on other platforms. Including "real" Pokemon games. Pokemon have different value to them in Go, however, as you remember the journeys you take to catch them. Also, gamers are going to have some hella shredded calves.

I went to SGDQ2016 and it was retarded how many people in the US were playing Pokemon GO.
Yeah, downtown in every major US city has been all Pokemon since its release. I was hanging out alone in an alleyway trying to catch a Jynx, and suddenly 50-60 people cross the street heading toward me to catch the same Jynx. Didn't realize I was going black Friday shopping. xD

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ this brought me joy (yes it's a rickroll) +1