Pokemon: Let's Go demo now available on the eShop

893DE2F3-48E9-4683-A225-C60D9E64ADE7.jpeg

Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee have been out for a few months now, with plenty of trainers having the chance to experience the Kanto region once more. For those that are still on the fence, however, Nintendo has added a free demo for players to try out. The demo features a tutorial of the game, set in the Viridian Forest, allowing you to capture wild Pokemon and take on a few trainers. The content is the same as the demo that was playable at E3 2018, letting you pick between a party of Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, both Pikachu and Eevee, and Meowth. While there's no play limit, you can't transfer any data to the final game. If you're interested, it's currently on the Switch eShop, and is about 2.2GB.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: ZeroHunta

Ginger OfOZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping I can download the demo for Let's Go Eevee to create a save file, then use that save file to get the Let's Go Eevee Spirit in Smash Bros. And no, this not the same Eevee spirit that you get at the start of the solo campaign. Now that would be great!

In the latest update, they did make it so that you can get the partner spirits in the store, so they are aquirable outside of their respective games.

Reactions: Maximilious

LowEndC

ǝɹıℲ ɥʇıM ǝɹıℲ ʇɥƃıℲ
Trophies
XP
Country
Niger
Nintendo is hilariously misunderstanding the purpose of a demo, it's a couple months too late. You release demos *before* the retail version, or at the very least you release them concurrently.

not if they know the game sucks and want as much money as they can get off bat.
then they release the demo to get the people who didnt buy it to change their minds, hoping theyll want thos extra features that game provides, to get even more money.
marketing.
theyll never do it the good guy way.

Nintendo =

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
'Fans' are not really part of the conversation. There is a vast user base out there outside of people who post on video game websites. The thing Nintendo does 'right' is the same thing they do wrong - chasing the mass market at all costs, risking failure as they move further from what the core market wants. That failure has happened quite a bit in their history. One shouldn't forget how dire things were for Nintendo before the Switch came out.
I do think that attempting to "give the people what they want" is the biggest cancer that can afflict a company. Customers don't know what they want until they see it, that's not a trend-setter approach, that's a safe strategy of imitators. There's a famous saying that comes to mind - "if Henry Ford did what people wanted, he would manufacture machine horses". A part of being a visionary company is doing not what the customers want, but what you expect them to want by the time you're done with development.

Reactions: LowEndC

LowEndC

ǝɹıℲ ɥʇıM ǝɹıℲ ʇɥƃıℲ
Trophies
XP
Country
Niger
I do think that attempting to "give the people what they want" is the biggest cancer that can afflict a company. Customers don't know what they want until they see it, that's not a trend-setter approach, that's a safe strategy of imitators. There's a famous saying that comes to mind - "if Henry Ford did what people wanted, he would manufacture machine horses". A part of being a visionary company is doing not what the customers want, but what you expect them to want by the time you're done with development.

i understand what you're saying, also,
I believe, like previously stated,
that they target the mass demographic, especially kids.
not the core,
because of considerable more profits, so, ease of use, a lot more and longer tutorials/ cut-scenes, fan dangled motion-controls that no one asked for..
(I've noticed this with handheld Pokemon games, coming from someone who bought Pokemon Blue new when it first came out in the states)
you would think, "I don't blame them, its business."
:shit:

to quote:

Hopefully the next pokemon game isn't gonna hold my hand.

just about every Pokemon game holds your hands, at least any game made in the last 10 years lol

although im waiting for an actual pokemon game to come out so i can have a reason to buy the Switch in the first place XD

Last edited by LowEndC,
D

Deleted User

The catching is OK but I found the motion controls inconsistent which ruined it for me.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo isn't Apple. Trying to build a mass market game console to the exclusion of the actual market for game consoles that exists risks producing stinkers like the N64, the GameCube, the Wii U, the Wii in terms of software attach and legacy.

Last edited by blahblah,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo isn't Apple. Trying to build a mass market game console to the exclusion of the actual market for game consoles that exists risks producing stinkers like the N64, the GameCube, the Wii U, the Wii in terms of software attach and legacy.
That's correct, however it is precisely the strategy that also generated the most groundbreaking bestsellers on the market. Think of the DS, the Wii (in terms of sheer hardware sales) or the Switch. You have to balance innovation with industry standard compliance, Nintendo's about 50/50 in that regard as far as success is concerned.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's correct, however it is precisely the strategy that also generated the most groundbreaking bestsellers on the market. Think of the DS, the Wii (in terms of sheer hardware sales) or the Switch. You have to balance innovation with industry standard compliance, Nintendo's about 50/50 in that regard as far as success is concerned.

That strategy has generated, thus far, mostly systems that either fail to sell in the first place or sell very well at first, and then experience serious decline in software sales. It does not appear to be a sustainable long term strategy. Once, it lead to both of their platforms - handheld and console - performing well below expectations. Nearly led to Nintendo being acquired/making mobile titles/other bad things.

50/50 is not a viable number.

Last edited by blahblah,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That strategy has generated, thus far, mostly systems that either fail to sell in the first place or sell very well at first, and then experience serious decline in software sales. It does not appear to be a sustainable long term strategy. Once, it lead to both of their platforms - handheld and console - performing well below expectations. Nearly led to Nintendo being acquired/making mobile titles/other bad things.

50/50 is not a viable number.
Their pocket book disagrees. Nintendo applies the "withered technology" (literal translation) strategy, in most cases every unit they sell makes them money. They have more money than sense and enough in the bank to release one failure after the other. That's neither here nor there, I'll have to disagree with your overall assessment. What I will say is that they weren't particularly lucky with their home consoles since the 90's, so their recent merger of the handheld and home console departments, as well as the Switch's overall design, make perfect sense if you look at their platform performance across time.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Their pocket book disagrees. Nintendo applies the "withered technology" (literal translation) strategy, in most cases every unit they sell makes them money. They have more money than sense and enough in the bank to release one failure after the other. That's neither here nor there, I'll have to disagree with your overall assessment. What I will say is that they weren't particularly lucky with their home consoles since the 90's, so their recent merger of the handheld and home console departments, as well as the Switch's overall design, make perfect sense if you look at their platform performance across time.

History agrees with me. You don't have to look further than what occurred when the Wii U bombed and the 3DS sold way worse than expected.

Money in the bank is simply irrelevant. What investors think matters, and they drove the company to the brink. This is not a private company.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I was liking the game and considering to give it a chance until a lot of wild frame drops appeared. Someone please tell me if this happens in the full game as well.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was liking the game and considering to give it a chance until a lot of wild frame drops appeared. Someone please tell me if this happens in the full game as well.

Heavily wooded/grassy areas see some drops, which is funny because I think that's exactly where the demo spits you out at. The rest of the game didn't really suffer any issues that I can remember though.

And despite all the hate everyone gives it, I quite enjoyed it, but perhaps that's because I haven't completed a Pokemon game in full since Red on the OG Gameboy. Catching can get monotonous at times, but I much prefer it to random pokemon battles, and not having to deal with a team too over-powered that you end up killing the mon before having a chance to catch it. And the gym leaders and in-world drops refresh every 24 hours, so you can always re-battle for money if needed. I even found a Master-Ball in Curulean Cave which was pretty surprising.

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they messed up by having the demo data non-transferable. Pokemon is a time-sink RPG, and like many RPGs of this nature, losing progress/time suuucks and is a major turn-off from playing further. I wouldn't put any major time into demos that wouldn't transfer over to the full game were I to decide to buy it.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they messed up by having the demo data non-transferable. Pokemon is a time-sink RPG, and like many RPGs of this nature, losing progress/time suuucks and is a major turn-off from playing further. I wouldn't put any major time into demos that wouldn't transfer over to the full game were I to decide to buy it.

The demo is a tiny slice of the game. It does not begin at the start of the game or anything. There is no progress to transfer.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Considering they give you all of the starter Pokemon, and no grading system, they probably give you perfect IV Pokemon. Of course they aren't going to let you transfer that data over... But I will say that through normal gameplay you can get Perfect IV starters through other events in game.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'Fans' are not really part of the conversation. There is a vast user base out there outside of people who post on video game websites. The thing Nintendo does 'right' is the same thing they do wrong - chasing the mass market at all costs, risking failure as they move further from what the core market wants. That failure has happened quite a bit in their history. One shouldn't forget how dire things were for Nintendo before the Switch came out.
This statement makes no sense. Nintendo is chasing the mass market and in the process abandoning... the primary gaming market?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/rMHTo4sAYKA?si=UTMogWR09JOPIPF_