Popcorn Expiration date: 2047 - how is this possible?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(maybe 20:43 is the time; but that's pretty specific...)

2043 could indeed be the packaging time as in hour 20: minute 43.
so i am the only one who worked in a factory that made food . . . these numbers represent the batch number and the d4ip represents the factory (or vice versa)

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
i a gogurt last year i found in my uncles old couch that had expired 14 years prior, tasted fine. expiration is more of a suggestion in most cases.
As I said in a previous post, milk products NEVER expire provided that they remain sealed. If it's not opened, then the worst that can happen is for the taste to be kinda bad, but it's 100% just as healthy for you to consume.

Reactions: blueagent004

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As I said in a previous post, milk products NEVER expire provided that they remain sealed. If it's not opened, then the worst that can happen is for the taste to be kinda bad, but it's 100% just as healthy for you to consume.

Milk products do expire.
Honey never expires.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Milk products do expire.
Honey never expires.
As long as they aren't opened, things like milk and yogurt NEVER expire, but the taste does go bad. That is because they are sealed without air, so there's no way for bacteria to grow in/on them. However, things like cheese do expire as normal, since it doesn't come packed airtight (or if it does, it still wasn't in a sterile environment at the factory). Honey does expire after 19-22 years if we are talking about 100% bee honey, but can last up to 30 years with proper packaging.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As long as they aren't opened, things like milk and yogurt NEVER expire, but the taste does go bad. That is because they are sealed without air, so there's no way for bacteria to grow in/on them. However, things like cheese do expire as normal, since it doesn't come packed airtight (or if it does, it still wasn't in a sterile environment at the factory). Honey does expire after 19-22 years if we are talking about 100% bee honey, but can last up to 30 years with proper packaging.

Milk expires, yogurt expires.
Idk what kind of chemical rubbish you're eating but shit like that does expire.
But, if you're so confident about it, I dare you to keep a packet of milk in the fridge and drink it after a year past its sell-by-date.

And no, honey never expires.
Archaeologists discovered jars of honey inside the pyramids, crystallized but perfectly edible after thousands of years.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why would milk products never expire? Take me through your logic here.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Milk expires, yogurt expires.
Idk what kind of chemical rubbish you're eating but shit like that does expire.
But, if you're so confident about it, I dare you to keep a packet of milk in the fridge and drink it after a year past its sell-by-date.

And no, honey never expires.
Archaeologists discovered jars of honey inside the pyramids, crystallized but perfectly edible after thousands of years.
For starters, let's get something out of the way. Expiration dates don't mean a thing, what they are for is to show when is the latest point in time you can consume something without it having lost it's taste. What do you think the "best before" means?:P Now, about milk and yogurt... Both are made in sterile environments and at the point just before they are packaged, they get filtered and packaged airtight, making it impossible for bacteria to grow in them. If opened at least once after that point, then they do expire normally, but if they remain closed, the taste may go incredibly sour, enough to make you puke, but they are exactly just as edible and healthy as they were when packaged. Without air and sealed right after sterilization, there can't be any microorganisms, bacteria, etc. growing. Do you understand how it works? It's like meat, it only rots if there's oxygen. Dry it (water contains oxygen too) and keep it in a airtight package and it can last for hundreds of years.

As for the example about honey you mentioned...
Honey does expire after 19-22 years if we are talking about 100% bee honey, but can last up to 30 years with proper packaging.
The jar in question wasn't broken or anything, it was filled all the way up with honey and sealed tight, so again, no air, means no expiration.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For starters, let's get something out of the way. Expiration dates don't mean a thing, what they are for is to show when is the latest point in time you can consume something without it having lost it's taste. What do you think the "best before" means?:P Now, about milk and yogurt... Both are made in sterile environments and at the point just before they are packaged, they get filtered and packaged airtight, making it impossible for bacteria to grow in them. If opened at least once after that point, then they do expire normally, but if they remain closed, the taste may go incredibly sour, enough to make you puke, but they are exactly just as edible and healthy as they were when packaged. Without air and sealed right after sterilization, there can't be any microorganisms, bacteria, etc. growing. Do you understand how it works? It's like meat, it only rots if there's oxygen. Dry it (water contains oxygen too) and keep it in a airtight package and it can last for hundreds of years.

The jar in question wasn't broken or anything, it was filled all the way up with honey and sealed tight, so again, no air, means no expiration.
So your claim is that if you keep sterilized milk closed it'll last forever. Would this then not be true for a lot of products? Milk definitely does not "NEVER" expire as you claim. It'll last a long time when sterilized and sealed but not forever certainly. A few months, a few years perhaps even.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Then why aren't you drinking milk that passed its sell-by-date by a year or two?

I'm sorry but that just isn't applicable in the real world.
It might be under extreme ideal conditions but ask your physician if it would be a good idea to drink year old milk.
I'm pretty sure you'll get laughed at and get a no in response.

Milk isn't packaged in a 100% sterile environment, neither is yogurt.
There's always bacteria present during production.

There's some rules set up about contamination in food products.
<X amount of insect parts.
<X amount of bacteria.

Again, if you're so confident that your milk has an indefinite shelf life, please, visually record yourself drinking years old milk.
And keep the camera rolling for an hour minimum.
I'll bet you 10 quid that you'll regret it within the hour.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So your claim is that if you keep sterilized milk closed it'll last forever. Would this then not be true for a lot of products? Milk definitely does not "NEVER" expire as you claim. It'll last a long time when sterilized and sealed but not forever certainly. A few months, a few years perhaps even.
If you want to go about it like that, then yes, it won't last forever, it will only last until the carton gets too old and starts breaking down or until the glass bottle starts having it's atoms come loose.

Then why aren't you drinking milk that passed its sell-by-date by a year or two?

I'm sorry but that just isn't applicable in the real world.
It might be under extreme ideal conditions but ask your physician if it would be a good idea to drink year old milk.
I'm pretty sure you'll get laughed at and get a no in response.

Milk isn't packaged in a 100% sterile environment, neither is yogurt.
There's always bacteria present during production.

There's some rules set up about contamination in food products.
<X amount of insect parts.
<X amount of bacteria.

Again, if you're so confident that your milk has an indefinite shelf life, please, visually record yourself drinking years old milk.
And keep the camera rolling for an hour minimum.
I'll bet you 10 quid that you'll regret it within the hour.
Those "rules" are different per country and in Europe at least, milk needs to be processed in a 100% sterile environment after it's collected (meaning from point of pasteurization to packaging). And bacteria packaged in milk develop almost instantly, reason it goes bad if left open and out of the fridge for more than a couple minutes. Yogurt is filtered right before being packaged (as prior to that it's impossible) and sealed tight, so it's similar case. I'm talking about things from actual production lines, not your grandma's cow milk in case you still haven't gotten that. In the US though where they allow up to 93% rot/bacteria on food and 76% insects/dirt, yeah, milk shouldn't even be consumed:P

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Those "rules" are different per country and in Europe at least, milk needs to be processed in a 100% sterile environment after it's collected (meaning from point of pasteurization to packaging). And bacteria packaged in milk develop almost instantly, reason it goes bad if left open and out of the fridge for more than a couple minutes. Yogurt is filtered right before being packaged (as prior to that it's impossible) and sealed tight, so it's similar case. I'm talking about things from actual production lines, not your grandma's cow milk in case you still haven't gotten that. In the US though where they allow up to 93% rot/bacteria on food and 76% insects/dirt, yeah, milk shouldn't even be consumed:P

Well, if you're so certain of it being safe.
Then why aren't you drinking year old milk then?

No food that gets processed is 100% sterile, unless you bombard it with radiation.
Which isn't done.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
Liquid honey does not spoil for a combination of two factors. First, the high sugar concentration kills any bacteria that reproduces by osmotic lysis and no life form can survive for long. Second, the low moisture level makes sure that no organism can develop anything. This is true as long as the moisture level is under 18%.

Basically, any food that meet these two criterias can virtually last forever. They may lose some taste or health value but they're still perfectly edible.

As for milk, only the powder one can last for an indefinite period of time.

By the way, one should always follow the expiration dates if you don't live in a bunker. I have no idea why someone would go on and keep food for more than 6 months. Hell, I do have a bunker and replace the emergency food every 2 years (and before anybody asks yes, I donate it while they're still long before expiration dates).

Last edited by 330,

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well, if you're so certain of it being safe.
Then why aren't you drinking year old milk then?

No food that gets processed is 100% sterile, unless you bombard it with radiation.
Which isn't done.
For the simple reason that I can hardly afford to get enough food to get by every month, if I got milk in the fridge it doesn't last even 3 days, I drink a lot of it and eat a mountain of food (got a health condition requiring me to eat almost 8 times the normal amount). And just to end this, go read how bacteria develop and how production lines are for things like milk.

Liquid honey does not spoil for a combination of two factors. First, the high sugar concentration kills any bacteria that reproduces by osmotic lysis and no life form can survive for long. Second, the low moisture level makes sure that no organism can develop anything. This is true as long as the moisture level is under 18%.

Basically, any food that meet these two criterias can virtually last forever. They may lose some taste or health value but they're still perfectly edible.

As for milk, only the powder one can last for an indefinite period of time.

By the way, one should always follow the expiration dates if you don't live in a bunker. I have no idea why someone would go on and keep food for more than 6 months. Hell, I do have a bunker and replace the emergency food every 2 years (and before anybody asks yes, I donate it while they're still long before expiration dates).
The only thing I keep for so long it could go bad is flour (too lazy to cook with it), but besides that, I always replace everything withing 2-3 months, unless it's things like cans. And thanks for the explanation. Honey hardens when exposed to air for too long though, reason I said that in such a case it will spoil (it won't be liquid anymore so things can develop on it's crust).

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
note that like 2 years in the future is about the longest best before time they can put on anything that isn't canned i think.
like, salt has a best before date cause the date is mandatory and has to be within regulation.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For the simple reason that I can hardly afford to get enough food to get by every month, if I got milk in the fridge it doesn't last even 3 days, I drink a lot of it and eat a mountain of food (got a health condition requiring me to eat almost 8 times the normal amount). And just to end this, go read how bacteria develop and how production lines are for things like milk.

The only thing I keep for so long it could go bad is flour (too lazy to cook with it), but besides that, I always replace everything withing 2-3 months, unless it's things like cans. And thanks for the explanation. Honey hardens when exposed to air for too long though, reason I said that in such a case it will spoil (it won't be liquid anymore so things can develop on it's crust).

Still doesn't change the fact that milk and yogurt expires ;')
Mate, you're full of shit.

I know how production lines work.
Hell, me bf worked on a production line before and he says that it isn't brilliantly clean as you're made to believe.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hey, a little OT here, but is it true that people spit in some boxes?

He hasn't seen it but he would do it.
Also asked him if it gets checked, he said "checking for what!?" so yeh, you can safely assume that production lines aren't as hygienic as you are taught to believe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: show him fighting in ww2