Post a picture of your desktop!

Trophies
XP
It does what I need. Tried KDE at first, but it didn’t feel right for some reason.

Can't blame you. While KDE's motto is that it "gets the job done while staying out of your way", it's kind of the opposite tbh. It looks nice, but it's also kind of sluggish depending on your specs, and it just feels different from most DEs while being kind of cumbersome with the way you customize it.

GNOME is nice, once you actually get around to customizing it, since default GNOME, imo- is a piece of garbage.

Endeavour is actually a really nice distro choice though since it's actually rather stable in comparison to other Arch distros, and it offers a lot of customization.

Reactions: SylverReZ and Kioku

Atomyiik

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ocfrom.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
deskfetch.png
deskfetch2.png

WindowMaker is the best. I switch between these two themes most of the time.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 371131View attachment 371132

WindowMaker is the best. I switch between these two themes most of the time.
Going for that very metallic theme I see.
Post automatically merged:

Can't blame you. While KDE's motto is that it "gets the job done while staying out of your way", it's kind of the opposite tbh. It looks nice, but it's also kind of sluggish depending on your specs, and it just feels different from most DEs while being kind of cumbersome with the way you customize it.

GNOME is nice, once you actually get around to customizing it, since default GNOME, imo- is a piece of garbage.

Endeavour is actually a really nice distro choice though since it's actually rather stable in comparison to other Arch distros, and it offers a lot of customization.
I know KDE used to be a massive memory hog. I'm pretty sure it had some rather big improvements on that a year or so ago though.

Trophies
XP
I know KDE used to be a massive memory hog. I'm pretty sure it had some rather big improvements on that a year or so ago though.
KDE is actually really good about memory usage now. Sometimes being lighter than XFCE. My only problem though is while it is indeed lighter, it still feels sluggish.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
KDE is actually really good about memory usage now. Sometimes being lighter than XFCE. My only problem though is while it is indeed lighter, it still feels sluggish.
I think the real problem that I have KDE is that I often ran into random small issues that I would spend hours searching for and almost never find a solution to. I know that's necessarily KDE's fault but it does put me off from using KDE as my daily driver.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Honestly if I used a distro with a desktop env (since OpenMediaVault and a desktop env is a Big Big No-No for Some Reason) I would probably either stick with whatever the default one is on that particular distro, or go with one that looks and acts like Windows Explorer (particularly the Win7 variant)

Anyway,
1684011041542.png

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
Enjoy the weirdly crispy text. I chose the DS font because I find it's actually the easiest for me to speed read, though the desktop has some troubles with it. Weirdly enough it's fine on any other thing.
1685072995571.png

Then here's my neofetch since people seem to include that.
1685073141574.png

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
I use arch btw
1687058555215.png

The background is a pic I took of a nature area near me. Years ago the hospital owned this land and built homes for WWII veterans. Eventually all of them died and they let the land sit empty, leaving the buildings to fall apart. The city ended up buying the land and tearing them down for safety reasons, and now the conservation authority owns the land. They've left the foundations there (and 4 of the original buildings) and it's pretty cool to think about how not too long ago these used to be homes. You can see from year to year as they start to crumble more and more. Amazing how nature is swallowing back up this land.

Another cool thing is that when they were built there were no restrictions for building right next to the treeline. Now that it's classified as an ESA and we have stricter regulations, it'd be illegal to replace these since they'd be too close to the edge. They're little pieces of history that can never be replaced. The couple of buildings still up need to be maintained carefully because those are affected in the same way, but also for construction equipment too close and such. I love seeing these fade over time and the feeling behind loosing that history. It's sad to see, but it's nice in a way that things can be let go and can have their end.
20220917_085118.jpg

Last edited by rvtr,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU