Homebrew Discussion Post homebrew ideas, suggestions, requests here

HoRy205

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I recently bought pico-8 because I admired RGB30. I thought someone would port it to Switch, but I learned that there is currently only a p8 emulator called FAKE-08. I wanted to develop pico-8 games and easily play trending games on Switch over the Internet. If possible, I would like someone to port pico-8 to Switch.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: HoRy205

HoRy205

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I had forgotten about that core. That core does not work well for me and is not well compatible. Also, retro8 was not for me, as my main purpose is to use pico-8 splore with Switch.

Reactions: BigOnYa

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had forgotten about that core. That core does not work well for me and is not well compatible. Also, retro8 was not for me, as my main purpose is to use pico-8 splore with Switch.
Pico-8 is commercial closed source, so unless the dev ports it himself, it's unlikely, and he hasn't so far. If you can be bothered to install Linux on your Switch, I just tested the official Linux release of Pico-8 on L4T Bionic and it works great, splore and all.

Reactions: HoRy205

Jaxon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a developer but I've had an idea that could permanently establish someone as a legend for years to come.

Steamdeck. Ya know how you can use Steam Input to map mouse to gyro for any game? What if there was a SysModule/overlay app to do that on Switch?

Of course, it's not PC so mouse isn't something you can just map to. But a solution has already been invented... the smart translator OBSiV created for XIM, eventually resulting in the XIM Nexus controller that offers gyro aiming for any game by using smart translators to unscramble the analog stick signal and output it as close to 1:1 like a mouse as possible.

The original XIM products did this to use a mouse in console. But then they realized if you can map analog to mouse via smart translator, and map mouse to gyro, you can map analog to gyro. Hence, the XIM Nexus was born.

Obviously the smart translators are proprietary and OBSiV isn't giving those up to open source. His product line depends on it. But if he can do it, others can too

Seems to me you could use a program to iteratively test random paths of the analog stick and record the scalar multiple of output velocity as a function of input velocity. Use that to model a surface function z = f(x,y) where any x,y coordinate of the 2D plane which the analog stick travels on (though technically it's part of a spherical surface I believe most programs just interpret it as a 2D plane) maps to a scalar value which determines how much faster the cursor on screen is moving. That information could then be used to untangle it back to a 1:1 function by simply modifying the output multiplier by its reciprocal

Maybe that's oversimplified, and how it really works is more complex. But in my mind that seems to be all there is to it, the hard part being getting a program to randomly move a virtual analog for a given game and record the difference in velocity output on screen. Then figuring out how that could be written as switch homebrew to add gyro aiming option through an overlay.

Each game is different so each game would need to be tested. But XIM uses a community that shares files to build on the official list of games where the smart translator has decoded the analog signal. Perhaps if running as a SysModule it could record the inputs and outputs as players play games, and compile that data over time from tens of thousands of players, so the translator is always being fed more data to become more accurate.

Idk. I think if someone were to figure out how to do that, they'd certainly attain legend status in my book!

AzraelJR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
I was thinking is it possible to port games like Dead Space (Android), Drakerider (Android) and even Metal Gear Solid Mobile (NGage)?
Considering the former two run on aarch32 which is the Switch CPU is capable of and modern phones not.
Would be great to preserve these games too.

dahliadollya

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can do that easily with an overlay but why would you need that? I mean without some more logic, there is nothing you can do with it. 🤔
Would you be able to make one to disable or prevent the on screen keyboard from popping up?
I'm trying to find a solution to the keyboard problem in the OpenMW switch port. The problem is described in the "OpenMW for Switch" thread here on gbatemp.
unable to post the link cause of new account

Last edited by dahliadollya,

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would you be able to make one to disable or prevent the on screen keyboard from popping up?
I'm trying to find a solution to the keyboard problem in the OpenMW switch port. The problem is described in the "OpenMW for Switch" thread here on gbatemp.
unable to post the link cause of new account
What even is "the keyboard problem"? I feel like if there is a real problem within a port, its the port that should be edited instead of trying to find hacks around it in other places.

dahliadollya

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The keyboard automatically pops up when entering menus with text input, such as the barter menu. There hasn't been much work done with the port in a long time and I'm not knowledgeable enough to do it at the moment. You replied to someone asking if the keyboard could be brought up by overlay and said "it could be done easily." So I feel like if the opposite could be done, this might be the easiest solution.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The keyboard automatically pops up when entering menus with text input, such as the barter menu. There hasn't been much work done with the port in a long time and I'm not knowledgeable enough to do it at the moment. You replied to someone asking if the keyboard could be brought up by overlay and said "it could be done easily." So I feel like if the opposite could be done, this might be the easiest solution.
No, the easiest solution is to go into the soure code and find the one line that pops up the keyboard when an input is focused and just remove that.
Opening the keyboard gives you a handle to it (a variable) that you need to close it again. You can open the keyboard anywhere (homebrew, game, overlay, ..) but you can not close a keyboard from anywhere but only where you opened it (in simple terms).
There are ways around that but they are so overly complicated that no one will ever do it.

dahliadollya

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are ways around that but they are so overly complicated that no one will ever do it.
First, you dont represent everyone who can code. Maybe someone else is interested in making the attempt to help, or at least discuss the issue. Secondly the idea only came from you saying a keyboard overlay "could be done easily" so sorry for assuming it might be. Also you said you didn't know what the keyboard problem is and yet you just simply know the easiest solution is to change one line in the source code, like the people who started the project didnt think of that in the past 5 years since it's been a thing?

I thought this was the ideas and suggestions thread, discussing potential solutions to problems shouldn't be met with such resistance and absolutes. I'm only trying to help people who might want to play the port.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First, you dont represent everyone who can code. Maybe someone else is interested in making the attempt to help, or at least discuss the issue. Secondly the idea only came from you saying a keyboard overlay "could be done easily" so sorry for assuming it might be. Also you said you didn't know what the keyboard problem is and yet you just simply know the easiest solution is to change one line in the source code, like the people who started the project didnt think of that in the past 5 years since it's been a thing?

I thought this was the ideas and suggestions thread, discussing potential solutions to problems shouldn't be met with such resistance and absolutes. I'm only trying to help people who might want to play the port.
Sorry what? No i dont repesent everyone who can code but i know my stuff and it is simply unfeasible.

A keyboard overlay can be done easily but that doesnt mean it works the other way around just as easy. If you are mad because of me simply explaining why that is - good job.

Also you said you didn't know what the keyboard problem is
As in what is the problem you have ingame. Not what causes it.

yet you just simply know the easiest solution is to change one line in the source code, like the people who started the project didnt think of that in the past 5 years since it's been a thing?
Apparently. Because i have looked into the sourcecode and looked at whats triggering the keyboard to pop up.

discussing potential solutions to problems shouldn't be met with such resistance
Its a simple case of the XY problem.

The only solution that is feasible to do is to fix the line in the source code that pops up the keyboard instead of overly complicating and trying to find a hack outside of the game that either closes it or stops it from opening entirely.

Here: https://github.com/fgsfdsfgs/openmw.../apps/openmw/mwgui/windowmanagerimp.cpp#L1685

This seems to be the line responsible for opening whe keyboard when focus is changed to a text/input field, according to the official documentation. "On some platforms using this function activates the screen keyboard."

Wasnt so hard, was it? Didnt even took me 5 years.

Last edited by Slluxx,
Reactions: impeeza

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
  • Love
Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News