United States

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If it wasn't for the fakesigning bug on the Wii, you'd need the private key to sign pirated VC and WW games. There's no reason for this to be different.
Yes, because the fakesigning bug is the only bug the Wii has.
No, but it IS the one that allows VC and WW piracy. That is a simple fact. VC and WW WADs are fakesigned. You need to install them with an IOS that either has the Trucha Bug or is patched to accept fake signatures. The only one of those that will be on a Wii by default is IOS with Trucha Bug. Basically it boils down to two options: Either use an IOS with trucha bug/fake signing patch, or else use an IOS that is patched on-the-fly (e.g. with HW_AHBPROT) to accept fake signatures [for the record, this is, I believe, how the HackMii Installer works as well; it uses an exploit to allow it to patch the currently running IOS, patches out the signature check, then installs HBC].

So translating that to 3DS: To be able to get 3DS Ware to work without signing using the private key, you'd either need to find (i) a way to bypass the signature check [a la trucha bug] or (ii) another exploit, that will allow patching out the signature check in the currently running IOS (or whatever the 3DS equivalent of IOS is)

All of which is rather irrelevant, because as I have pointed out, "im 12 im hacker" 's suggestion was based on re-encrypting. Meaning your original comment was simply, completely wrong. I really couldn't be bothered wasting more time explaining that. Please just accept you were wrong. I won't be responding further.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I give hackers like tueidj, megazig etc 1 day to figure out how to play VC/WiiWare without relying on the fakesigning bug
I know I said I wouldn't respond further, but I just have to...

1. That's not the point. Let me go over events again: "im 12 im hacker" suggests hack involving decrypting and re-encrypting 3DS ware. I point out that doing those things requires both common and private keys. You say it does not. You are wrong. You then go on to argue that piracy on other consoles is possible without private key - a fact which is irrelevant to the discussion.
2. The Wii system menu/IOS will not load a title without a valid ticket. The only way to get that is to buy a game. Otherwise, you have to generate it yourself and fakesign it. You do not directly need to use the fake signing bug itself (i.e. The trucha bug) but you DO need to find someway to disable the signature check (i.e. Use a different IOS exploit to patch sig check out of currently running IOS). The only alternative is properly signing the ticket, which would require the private key.

Now really, I'm done. No more explaining why you are wrong on this. Some of your points are correct (e.g. Private key is not needed for decryption). The problem is these things were never in question, you just brought them up to try and cover/justify your incorrect post.

Reactions: 1 person

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I give hackers like tueidj, megazig etc 1 day to figure out how to play VC/WiiWare without relying on the fakesigning bug

1. That's not the point. Let me go over events again: "im 12 im hacker" suggests hack involving decrypting and re-encrypting 3DS ware. I point out that doing those things requires both common and private keys. You say it does not.
I said that you don't necessarily need the private key. You are english. You should know the meaning of the word "necessarily" better than me. I was half wrong here, which why yo corrected me with this post. Since the person you were arguing with didn't talk about encryption only, but also decryption (a fact that you apparently like to overlook), I posted this post, which is nothing but a true statement (that you even admitted yourself finally).

Then you said I should go re-read the original quote, which I did, but this didn't change a single fact in my statement.

You then go on to argue that piracy on other consoles is possible without private key - a fact which is irrelevant to the discussion.
How is it irrelevant to the discussion when you claim that for piracy (which was the goal of your conversation partner) you need the private key? That's obviously rubbish since you never needed a privat key for other systems to play backups.

2. The Wii system menu/IOS will not load a title without a valid ticket. The only way to get that is to buy a game. Otherwise, you have to generate it yourself and fakesign it. You do not directly need to use the fake signing bug itself (i.e. The trucha bug) but you DO need to find someway to disable the signature check (i.e. Use a different IOS exploit to patch sig check out of currently running IOS). The only alternative is properly signing the ticket, which would require the private key.
So first you said you need the trucha bug and now you are saying it's possible with another bug? Can you please make up your mind?

The problem is these things were never in question, you just brought them up to try and cover/justify your incorrect post.
No, the problem is that you like to play Mr.Smart trying to avoid losing argumentation against people you dislike, but fail to see that you are far from Mr.Smart.

Sorox

Master Firo Soul
Trophies
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Mk, so I don't remember how to search threads, so sorry if this has been suggested already.

If the mario kart 7 update 1.1 was decrypted, would it be possible to add code to it to run something off of it? I'm not any type of hacker, coder, or anything, but I understand the basic concept of what's trying to be done.

Everytime you run mario kart 7 with the update, it has to load up the update, right? If the code was changed, wouldn't it be posssible to do SOMETHING?

Just a thought. Don't tear me to shreds just because I don't know everything.

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
As far as I understood from images he posted (I think that was on myspace),
Yes, all the best hackers use MySpace to share their hacks and discoveries.
Well, since you seem sarcastic about your point, I did the simple task of googling it for you.
And, yes, he posts progression images and can be found in his flicker account Here.
They sure are old, but still progress nonetheless.

EDIT: and what do you know, some people "shared their hacks and discoveries" over CNN : )
I know very well that he has posted images on flickr. Flickr is not MySpace.
That's why I said "I think".
People say "I think" to imply uncertainty, if you didn't know.
Or maybe you want me to teach you English (which isn't even my native language)???

Anyway, your other comments suggest you're trying to play the role of "Mr. Know it all" and you suck at it, not to mention overlooking words.
Don't worry, that's normal to see in the internet.

Reactions: 1 person

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mk, so I don't remember how to search threads, so sorry if this has been suggested already.

If the mario kart 7 update 1.1 was decrypted, would it be possible to add code to it to run something off of it? I'm not any type of hacker, coder, or anything, but I understand the basic concept of what's trying to be done.

Everytime you run mario kart 7 with the update, it has to load up the update, right? If the code was changed, wouldn't it be posssible to do SOMETHING?

here the BIG problem

WE CANT decrypted ANY THING

unless one of two thing happen

1. some one brute force the common key/ any other key they need
  2. Nintendo hands out all the keys

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
BACKBUP NOT PIRATED
Why do you need backups of download games?
Not everyone has fast internet everywhere he goes.
Or Nintendos network might do a Sony and be down for some months.
Getting an additional SD to carry around with the rest of the games is a viable option imho.
Or at least store them on a PC.

But afaik:
That already works without needing any hacking.
Simply copying the files does it.
Only seperating the games from one another might still need figureing out.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I said that you don't necessarily need the private key. You are english. You should know the meaning of the word "necessarily" better than me. I was half wrong here, which why yo corrected me with this post. Since the person you were arguing with didn't talk about encryption only, but also decryption (a fact that you apparently like to overlook), I posted this post, which is nothing but a true statement (that you even admitted yourself finally).

Of course, I know what necessarily means. I am not English, though that is irrelevant; I am a native English speaker, which is the point you were making, so I'll overlook my nationality for the moment (an easy mistake to make, I don't blame you for it). I apologize if there was something lost in translation and if that was where the misunderstanding arose. I know they didn't talk about encryption only, but nor did they talk about decryption only. They talked about both. To do both, you need both keys. Which is what I said in the first place, and which was correct. All the other stuff about piracy and nonsense was extra chat which was not necessary to the original discussion. EDIT: Oh, and I never denied that the common key is all that's needed for decryption. I apologize if it seemed that I was denying that. My point was just that the other person wanted to both decrypt and encrypt. Which does require both keys.

Also, I never changed my mind. I never said the trucha bug was essential for piracy (although re-reading some of my earlier posts I realise I may have worded them badly - sorry for that), what I was saying was that fake signatures must be accepted for VC/WW piracy. This can either be because of trucha bug or because of an IOS patched to accepted fake signatures (either patched and installed, or else patched in memory using some other exploit). If you can't get an IOS to accept fake signatures, you would need to properly sign the ticket, which would need the private key.

I'm not trying to be "Mr. Smart" (or "Mr. Know it all" as someone else called me), I'm trying to share my knowledge on matters. I do have some knowledge in this field, I do know what I'm talking about. If someone tries to say I am wrong when I am not, I will respond and try and explain to them why I was actually right. If someone says I was wrong and I was indeed wrong, I will happily accept that and be glad that I have gained some knowledge.

Reactions: 3 people

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed. You would have to encrypt it with your own private key at this point as the 3ds at the moment cant run unsigned code.
I will say, sifjar knows his shit most of the time and it's safe to trust his word.

Reactions: 2 people

jinzokami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

here the BIG problem

you can decrypt, you can't encrypt.
get your facts straight.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
get your facts straight.
Nope, decrypting would require the 3DS common key, which is not (publicly) known at this point in time. You can neither decrypt nor encrypt.

Perhaps you should "get your facts straight" ;) (I wouldn't have said this bit, but I just think it's really hypocritical for you to have said it when the other person was right and you are wrong)

Reactions: 2 people

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

here the BIG problem

get your facts straight.
no

no one but Nintendo and some 3rd party devs can

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...