Hacking Price gouging and scalping is wrong. Let's do something better.

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there information on whether the exploit installs something or if it must be run each boot-up? If it's the former then I suspect the price of the game would go down from the current dramatically inflated prices due to easy resell.

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
I am going to purchase at least one, and as many as three, copies of Cubic Ninja this evening.

Because I know that people on the internet are already hoarding copies, planning on profiting directly from smealum's work, without contributing anything to the scene, and by using his exploit for all the wrong reasons, I have decided to counterbalance that despicable behavior by doing something better.

Later this evening, when I am holding the actual games, I will post a photo of them, along with an invitation for anyone who wants the game to show us a random act of kindness from one gamer to another. Not a story that's already online; I want to incentivize people to DO something kind for someone else.

Show me your kindness, and I will send you Cubic Ninja for free.

Since I will obviously have a very, very limited quantity of these (three, to be exact), I will ask the members of the GBATemp community to decide whose act of kindness was the most awesome, and you guys get to decide the "winners".

I'll give it until the very day that the exploit is made publicly available. Then we will decide whose act of kindness was the most awesome.

Deal?

View attachment 11971

EDIT - After contacting all of my local GameStops, I have a total of three copies reserved, which I will be picking up this evening. You should expect proof to be posted here no later than 9PM, EST (GMT-5).

I won't participate, but damn dude, kudos to you. Real nice gesture.

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is there information on whether the exploit installs something or if it must be run each boot-up? If it's the former then I suspect the price of the game would go down from the current dramatically inflated prices due to easy resell.

Game will be needed always. Smea wanted to make completely sure that this exploit will not give kernel access, so it can't install anything on the 3DS (I mean, if it could install Homebrew Launcher, it could install everything).

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't write code. I don't know how to develop exploits. I have not been able to really contribute much to the scene beyond being a consumer of other people's hard work.

I believe that most people who release their work for free, do so because they genuinely want to help other people to be able to enjoy their gaming consoles in a way that they previously could not. That probably feels pretty good.

If I can't bring something new to people, maybe I can at least make it available to others who might not have a chance to enjoy it otherwise.

Gamers should look out for each other, not take advantage of one another. There's enough of that in every other aspect of life.

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice way to show that not all people are just looking out for themselves and looking to make a quick buck.

No use for it personally as don't have my 3ds yet but you have my respect

Arique

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I live in Connecticut. I was planning on picking up a copy today when I had the time, but unfortunately some jerk decided to hit up every single gaming store in the entire state and buy every known copy in stock. Not only am I screwed, but thousands of other 3DS owners in Connecticut that were looking forward to having homebrew on their system got screwed as well. On top of that, I'm running dangerously low on money. If I try buying a copy off of eBay or Amazon, there's no way I'll have enough money to buy anything for my family for Christmas. So much so that I can't even afford to buy a 4.5 3DS or a Gateway cart! I currently have a job that I do make a decent amount of money from, but the only problem is that my hours have been cut back for the winter, meaning I'll make $150 at most every two weeks. I also sell albums on my Bandcamp page, but none of my albums have been purchased at all this month, and I only have $15 in PayPal balance to back me up.

Having a copy of this game would mean everything to me. Not only can I save some money by preventing it from getting in a greedy scalper's hands, but I'll also be able to purchase gifts for my family this Holiday season. I love this community, and I would love to contribute to the future of Nintendo 3DS Homebrew so that it can be a huge success like the Wii and Nintendo DS' homebrew communities.

tl;dr - Scalpers bought every known copy in my homestate, too poor to afford a copy online due to cut hours at work and low album sales on Bandcamp. Want to save money so that I can get family presents for Christmas.

EDIT: Oh, right. I forgot that I need to talk about something I accomplished for the internet. Uh... You ever heard of the album "Random Access Fhqwhgads"? Yeah, I made that. You can buy it if you want for $1 on my Bandcamp page. If I do get the game, I'll happily give you a free copy of the album in return.

Plasmastar510

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game could be exhumed after 20 years.
View attachment 11972 now it's besteller.

Best seller. Everybody screaming and gouging.

et-screaming-edit.gif

Jackall4BDN

Haunter of Daydreams and Nightmares
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am going to purchase at least one, and as many as three, copies of Cubic Ninja this evening.

Because I know that people on the internet are already hoarding copies, planning on profiting directly from smealum's work, without contributing anything to the scene, and by using his exploit for all the wrong reasons, I have decided to counterbalance that despicable behavior by doing something better.

Later this evening, when I am holding the actual games, I will post a photo of them, along with an invitation for anyone who wants the game to show us a random act of kindness from one gamer to another. Not a story that's already online; I want to incentivize people to DO something kind for someone else.

Show me your kindness, and I will send you Cubic Ninja for free.

Since I will obviously have a very, very limited quantity of these (three, to be exact), I will ask the members of the GBATemp community to decide whose act of kindness was the most awesome, and you guys get to decide the "winners".

I'll give it until the very day that the exploit is made publicly available. Then we will decide whose act of kindness was the most awesome.

Deal?

View attachment 11971

EDIT - After contacting all of my local GameStops, I have a total of three copies reserved, which I will be picking up this evening. You should expect proof to be posted here no later than 9PM, EST (GMT-5).
THIS... is seriously awesome, dude. I´m gonna enjoy watching this

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You are doing a noble deed, OP :bow:

Slightly off-topic. I remember a passkey maker in the early DS era that bought several thousand copies of a DS game to use it as legitimate digital signature. Do you think some flashcard maker might do the same with Cube Ninja? Buy all copies they can find and use them to make flashcards that can run Smea's exploit?

purupuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's it actually silly to accuse people of price gouging and to imply that charging what the market will bear is somehow not a good thing. The fact is once the hysteria dies down and more of these carts hit the market and they don't sell at $65 the price will drop. The fact that GW will now be supporting 9.x firmware will keep a check on CN prices. The market will dictate the price and that's not going to be $65 or $75 or $4,000. It's going to be about $45. Any more than that and anyone with a brain will buy a flash cart. What you're doing is a nice gesture but try not to be so morally superior about it just because someone can get $65 for a game this week.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In an act of kindness, I helped smea publicize some details on his exploit for the site. Do I win, Neo Draven? :)

However... in an act of evilness I helped drive the price of a game up by three - four times its original cost all in the matter of half a day. So I don't deserve this at all.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In an act of kindness, I helped smea publicize some details on his exploit for the site. Do I win, Neo Draven? :)

However... in an act of evilness I helped drive the price of a game up by three - four times its original cost all in the matter of half a day. So I don't deserve this at all.
If people were not aware of the game that was exploitable, there wouldn't be any price gougers, to be sure, but there also wouldn't be an opportunity for other gamers to shine on others.

We can still pull something positive out of this.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If people were not aware of the game that was exploitable, there wouldn't be any price gougers, to be sure, but there also wouldn't be an opportunity for other gamers to shine on others.

We can still pull something positive out of this.

I'm totally screwing with you, don't include me in the raffle. :) And I'm liking this idea you have.

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this blows. Ordered 1 copy of the game for $10, got a refund because "out of stock" . Order another at double that price, got a refund because "out of stock".
Now they are all $40-$50.

Sure, maybe I would of been able to pick one up locally for $5, but I only have money at the beginning of the month, I just happened to have $30 on my paypal account currently.

meh, looks like no homebrew for me. lame.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's it actually silly to accuse people of price gouging and to imply that charging what the market will bear is somehow not a good thing. The fact is once the hysteria dies down and more of these carts hit the market and they don't sell at $65 the price will drop. The fact that GW will now be supporting 9.x firmware will keep a check on CN prices. The market will dictate the price and that's not going to be $65 or $75 or $4,000. It's going to be about $45. Any more than that and anyone with a brain will buy a flash cart. What you're doing is a nice gesture but try not to be so morally superior about it just because someone can get $65 for a game this week.
None of this is a reflection of my own merit. None of it is for self-aggrandizement. I am not selecting the people who will receive the game. You are. This is something that I came up with to include as many people in the community as possible, and to hopefully inspire people to look out for others before themselves.

Further, no one should profit from smealum's work. No one. The price-gougers are nothing but opportunists who had nothing to do with the development of the exploitable game, nor the exploit itself. They are just predators counting on people being desperate enough to overpay for an object whose value was artificially inflated by greed and lack of availability.

I am trying to make three people very happy, while asking them to do something to make other people happy. And you found something wrong with that?

*facepalm

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what the OP did. Try to show a little more respect and dignity before accusing him.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have done so many random acts of kindness over the years I cant even remember them all, I am sure there are even some people here in the forum that can verify that I helped them with something in the past, such as help using a tool, help with ROM hacking, creating tools for the community, etc. Here are some more recent examples below.
  • After the owner of twitchplayspokemon asked for help with reading team information with a lua script in the NDS games and was turned away saying all the information is already public, go do it yourself. I took several hours out of my life to create a script to do what he wanted, testing, fixing bugs, and adding new features.
  • I made TradeCheck, a program that would read packet data from XY to show you the IVs of a offered pokemon so you wont get scammed with people offering you trash saying its a 5/6IV Pokemon.
  • After someone decided to read packet data from XY to show your opponents team information and what move they picked, I created a jammer program that spammed bogus information that the program would read to prevent the program from revealing your information.
  • When I heard that Pokegen was going to become a donation only program I starting making my own program as a free alternative. My program is pretty much complete, waiting for that day pokegen became donations only to be released, but since pokegen is still free it was never released.
  • I created A-Save a 3rd generation save editor, that made it super easy to get any pokemon or item onto your game.
  • When someone wanted help editing some sprites in heart gold, I went and made a program to unscrambled the images for them.

Reactions: xyzman

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
None of this is a reflection of my own merit. None of it is for self-aggrandizement. I am not selecting the people who will receive the game. You are. This is something that I came up with to include as many people in the community as possible, and to hopefully inspire people to look out for others before themselves.

Further, no one should profit from smealum's work. No one. The price-gougers are nothing but opportunists who had nothing to do with the development of the exploitable game, nor the exploit itself. They are just predators counting on people being desperate enough to overpay for an object whose value was artificially inflated by greed and lack of availability.

I am trying to make three people very happy, while asking them to do something to make other people happy. And you found something wrong with that?

*facepalm
don't worry there is always someone who will complain about anything.....you could cure aids and someone would be trying to pick holes....have fun doing what your doing and its nice to see someone not being a selfish twat ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMuP01GlQi4