Project Scorpio specs revealed, 4K/60fps gameplay shown

stplwqj3f0vv8q8crasy.png

After hyping up their announcement via Eurogamer, Microsoft has finally shed light on just what their upcoming console will have under the hood. The picture above details what these specs are, as well as compares them with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One. It'll also be utilizing Microsoft's Direct 3D 12, and if you have a gaming PC, you'll know that DirectX12 usually allows for impressive performance boosts. Featuring 12 GBs of RAM, a 1TB HDD, and a 4K UHD Bluray player (which the PS4 Pro lacks), it seems that this console has blown expectations away. During the event, Forza was shown off, running at a stunning native 4K/60fps. Not only that, but since the Scorpio is backwards compatible, that means that currently existing Xbox One titles, as well as backwards compatible 360 titles will be getting in on the huge performance and visual boost. Eurogamer has a more specific article, linked below, if you want to really dig into what the console does.

:arrow: Source

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i think the question is what is the price, if they release this as 600+$ they will shoot themselves on the foot.

omegasoul6

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is really impressive for what's essentially running off an APU.
That being said, unless the Xbox One gets a killer exclusive, I'm going to stick to my Gaming PC and Switch.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually, Blast processing was a term which referred to something very real but a Nintendo campaign used ppl lack of knowledge of what it actually was to bash it and it became somewhat of a myth afterwards.
Here, i found this article that explains it better than i could :P

https://www.giantbomb.com/blast-processing/3015-963/

Yes, that article does correctly reference what 'blast processing' was referring to... but the term 'blast processing' itself was conceived by a marketing department, that had no grasp of the technology, as a cool way to sell the console.

edit. I should add that it was only the North American marketing department, as over here in Europe we never heard the term 'blast processing'.

Last edited by duwen,
Reactions: Dr.Hacknik

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, Blast processing was a term which referred to something very real but a Nintendo campaign used ppl lack of knowledge of what it actually was to bash it and it became somewhat of a myth afterwards.
Here, i found this article that explains it better than i could :P

https://www.giantbomb.com/blast-processing/3015-963/

Point still stands that marketing makes people believe anything, like with this for example, 4K is good, but it doesn't make a good game magically that much better :ph34r: People are focusing more on graphics and not how good games are. And the Genesis had a faster CPU, sure, but the color palette was horrible in comparison, 64 colors/512 max vs 256 colors out of 32768 colors. Genesis lacked Mode 7 (unless you had the Sega CD), but I digress.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

sonic1000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good for them, however specs isnt everything.
Games are what makes a console great, not hyped-up specs.

I agree, you can make a console with the best specs in the world, but if it doesn't have any good quality games, it's guaranteed to be a failure.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Consoles have been doubling up as video players for years at this point. No software/functionality would be a failure but I am not sure no games is a guaranteed failure any more.

Also I don't think a console has ever been said to be too powerful. Too hard to develop for, especially if people aimed for power but made complexity instead, but not too powerful. Also being basically a PC you could probably then afford to more easily make quick and dirty ports and have the extra overhead taken up by said power.
Likewise I am sure if it was faltering then MS would pull the proverbial chequebook out, wander over to any number of devs and say "so then, what will it take?". Nintendo seem to be incapable of such a thing but MS do it all day long, and have done for years.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Consoles have been doubling up as video players for years at this point. No software/functionality would be a failure but I am not sure no games is a guaranteed failure any more.

Also I don't think a console has ever been said to be too powerful. Too hard to develop for, especially if people aimed for power but made complexity instead, but not too powerful. Also being basically a PC you could probably then afford to more easily make quick and dirty ports and have the extra overhead taken up by said power.
Likewise I am sure if it was faltering then MS would pull the proverbial chequebook out, wander over to any number of devs and say "so then, what will it take?". Nintendo seem to be incapable of such a thing but MS do it all day long, and have done for years.
my guess is most people will wait for it starting to get exclusive games, i mean if you dont own a 4k tv where you game having a 4k upscaller console is preety pointless since it doesnt have any exclusives atleast announced so far.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

If this was to function as a budget level entry point HD Bluray player (like Sony's PS2 was for dvd), I'd agree, but at the price point this is going to be I'd be surprised if anyone buys it for that feature.
However, Sony's failure to include HD Bluray functionality on the PS4 Pro was the thing that stopped me from pre-ordering it. (If the Scorpio happens to get released for the same price as the PS4 Pro I still won't be tempted, as it's the PS4's game library that ultimately wins this sale/war)

*disclaimer - I currently don't own any model of PS4 or XB1

Last edited by duwen,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still think exclusives is a bad concept that should go away. Equally sales charts would seem to say people don't care so much as things are dominated by multi platform titles.
http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/14/50-best-selling-video-games-of-2015-revealed-5623732/
http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/16/50-best-selling-video-games-of-2016-revealed-6384231/

4K TVs are fairly standard right now, I see them in supermarkets here and have installed a few for people that don't care about such things but just needed a new TV of certain physical dimensions and they were at a price that made sense. With the average age of TV that crosses my repair bench I could see people scrapping their old LCD screens for them. I am starting to see failures in PS4s and xbones as well, nothing major (usually controllers, sketchy drives, dust and things) but enough that someone might be inclined to jump ship, not to mention most people don't seem to want to repair things any more. Equally the smaller hard drives in a lot of these things make management a chore, and while £500 is an expensive hard drive upgrade it is still below the pain threshold for many.
In any case it is not a clear, out and out, "this is the perfect time/maybe even a bit late to the party" type move but I can certainly see it working. Compared to the state of the internet when always on was floated a while back... though I suppose that was a negative thing.

If this was to function as a budget level entry point HD Bluray player (like Sony's PS2 was for dvd), I'd agree, but at the price point this is going to be I'd be surprised if anyone buys it for that feature.
However, Sony's failure to include HD Bluray functionality on the PS4 Pro was the thing that stopped me from pre-ordering it. (If the Scorpio happens to get released for the same price as the PS4 Pro I still won't be tempted, as it's the PS4's game library that ultimately wins this sale/war)

MS has a pretty good video setup in a lot of places and plenty of people do like the streaming services, while some TVs and standalone players offer such functionality it is almost always awful compared to a PC/tablet/console offerings. As such I can't ignore those as part of this exercise.

I agree on the library though, no idea what happened this time around as the 360 and PS3 ultimately were pretty level pegging and maybe even in favour of the 360 for a lot of things (I still maintain the PS3 was not the RPG machine, doubly so if you are going to compare it to the PS2 and its competition).

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I still think exclusives is a bad concept that should go away. Equally sales charts would seem to say people don't care so much as things are dominated by multi platform titles.
http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/14/50-best-selling-video-games-of-2015-revealed-5623732/
http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/16/50-best-selling-video-games-of-2016-revealed-6384231/

4K TVs are fairly standard right now, I see them in supermarkets here and have installed a few for people that don't care about such things but just needed a new TV of certain physical dimensions and they were at a price that made sense. With the average age of TV that crosses my repair bench I could see people scrapping their old LCD screens for them. I am starting to see failures in PS4s and xbones as well, nothing major (usually controllers, sketchy drives, dust and things) but enough that someone might be inclined to jump ship, not to mention most people don't seem to want to repair things any more. Equally the smaller hard drives in a lot of these things make management a chore, and while £500 is an expensive hard drive upgrade it is still below the pain threshold for many.
In any case it is not a clear, out and out, "this is the perfect time/maybe even a bit late to the party" type move but I can certainly see it working. Compared to the state of the internet when always on was floated a while back... though I suppose that was a negative thing.

MS has a pretty good video setup in a lot of places and plenty of people do like the streaming services, while some TVs and standalone players offer such functionality it is almost always awful compared to a PC/tablet/console offerings. As such I can't ignore those as part of this exercise.

I agree on the library though, no idea what happened this time around as the 360 and PS3 ultimately were pretty level pegging and maybe even in favour of the 360 for a lot of things (I still maintain the PS3 was not the RPG machine, doubly so if you are going to compare it to the PS2 and its competition).
Exclusives should go away? so you want microsoft to port thei games to ps4 and sony to port their games to xbox? it makes no sence.

Exclusives are what makes people decide which hardware to buy, same way sony makes tvs and then makes some sony tv exclusive features to have some advantages over the competition, same way for iphone and etc,etc just becuase they dont use games as exclusive stuff they always want to have something the competition doesnt to make their hardware more appealing, its maketing 101.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Exclusives should go away? so you want microsoft to port thei games to ps4 and sony to port their games to xbox? it makes no sence.

Exclusives are what makes people decide which hardware to buy
Exchange videogames for 'movies' or 'music'. Does it still make no sense?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Exchange videogames for 'movies' or 'music'. Does it still make no sense?
with very few exceptions movie studios and record companys dont produce hardware so there is no reason for it to be exclusive since they dont do hardware at all.

also tv companys already do that hulu,netflix,amazon and such wont put their exclusive content on the competition, every tv channel has exclusive content so you watch their channel or pay a subscription and they wont all just put their shows and movies on the competition, they want you to watch their ads or pay their subscrition so they gain money.

Exclusive content is what makes money if all tv channels played the exact same programs all networks would just die lol and be only one.

Also games are coded in diferent languages you can play a movie on preety much anything but a game developed exclusively for ppc then it would need work and such to be played on arm and so on, its a totaly diferent thing they cant just release a single game CD/download that would work on all OS that exist, unlike with music or movies.

Last edited by pedro702,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No, but I would expect them to work on the same TV.
If you own a mac or linux or windows then manny games dont get ports either so its basicaly exclusive, if windows has alot of games that dont get ports to mac and linux why are consoles hammered by having their exclusives?

Unlike movies and tvs game codding isnt only one simple language they cant work on all pcs or console when they arent coded the same from platform to platform.

when you buy a dvd today or 100 years from now if its a dvd it will play on any stone age dvd player, a newer dvd doesnt need a stronger cpu,gpu to play a dvd movie same way for music, a new song doesnt need more hardware than an old one while games need and codding language is changing all the time, thats why even old windows games dont work on newer windows pcs without some fanmade fixes here and there.

Last edited by pedro702,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think that's the very thing FAST6191 was suggesting he would like to see go away.
taking out all diversity on the technology market them, lets all choose to use pcs with x86 and kill everything that runs on ppc,arm and such becuase that is what needs to happen...

doesnt make any sence at all.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you don't expect Netflix to put its original programs on Hulu, do you?

Exclusives are what makes people decide which hardware to buy, same way sony makes tvs and then makes some sony tv exclusive features to have some advantages over the competition, same way for iphone and etc,etc just becuase they dont use games as exclusive stuff they always want to have something the competition doesnt to make their hardware more appealing, its maketing 101.

with very few exceptions movie studios and record companys dont produce hardware so there is no reason for it to be exclusive since they dont do hardware at all.

also tv companys already do that hulu,netflix,amazon and such wont put their exclusive content on the competition, every tv channel has exclusive content so you watch their channel or pay a subscription and they wont all just put their shows and movies on the competition, they want you to watch their ads or pay their subscrition so they gain money.

Exclusive content is what makes money if all tv channels played the exact same programs all networks would just die lol and be only one.

Also games are coded in diferent languages you can play a movie on preety much anything but a game developed exclusively for ppc then it would need work and such to be played on arm and so on, its a totaly diferent thing they cant just release a single game CD/download that would work on all OS that exist, unlike with music or movies.

Sony make DVD players and have a studio. Loads of game companies seem to want to be mixed media companies these days as well. Amazon produce their own hardware, any company out there could easily gate off an android type device. Equally film studios make their own hardware, rigs and more. Development costs and running costs for some of them is not entirely out of line with some of what game console development likely runs.

It is not a terribly valid comparison though from where I sit, and I do expect things to still come to a common format like DVD or something. Not to mention while I don't expect them to offer things up to a different service I do expect them to all interface with some kind of reasonably common hardware. Maybe you are content to have the game consoles count as common hardware by themselves but seems like a pointless.

I agree that hardware types still make a vague sort of sense, which is a bit of a pity really. It is however nowhere near as special as it once was. Likewise if devs want to spunk millions and millions on things for said exclusives then carry on* but in the lesser worlds, which still produce fantastic games, then porting seems like pointless busy work. Also everything has lua these days, every has or could well have some Java, and both of those (and more that are similarly on everything) can be used to make very fine games. On videos I don't expect my ageing core2 laptop to decode a 4K H265 encoded file so your "plays on everything" concept does have holes. Not to mention there would not be different processors, or at least functionally different processors, in this no exclusives world as everything would have a baseline to work from.

*personally I tend to laugh when developers cry and say games are costing more and more to make. There is some as I imagine general wages and overheads have gone up, though at the same time what once required a top tier coder can probably be farted out by Johnny just graduated Java school and wouldn't know an opcode if they tripped over a manual of them, and hopefully one day will be as easy as writing a novel is today. To that end games don't necessarily cost that much more, they just choose to spend more.

I overheard a conversation the other day saying "this phone is a samsung like yours" which sounds strange to my ears as it is all android either way.

I needed a DVD player a while back. One had a nice inbuilt amplifier with 5.1 output. That was a deciding factor beyond one was Toshiba and this was Hitachi.
Time was such things made some vague sense, and theoretically you could have a killer app. I consider the practice anti consumer, though far from needing any kind of legal legislation against it. Likewise I am all for competition between devs, to have it happen in hardware just seems like an antiquated concept.

This is all getting kind of disjointed but hopefully I have made my case.

taking out all diversity on the technology market them, lets all choose to use pcs with x86 and kill everything that runs on ppc,arm and such becuase that is what needs to happen...

doesnt make any sence at all.

My AMD/ATI card and my Nvidia card, theoretically also my Intel card, all speak directX and opengl quite happily. I have not needed a specific card really since the death of 3dfx and maybe s3 before that. Some might be optimised for one or the other but that matters little.

Not to mention I am banking on the future being in programmable processors or the descendants of FPGAs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    QuarterCut @ QuarterCut: my reaction to such information +1