Hardware PS 4.5 with 4K support coming soon.

• Thread starter Deleted-355425
  • Start date
  • Views 9,136
  • Replies 81
  • Likes 1

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MS and Sony give u a bigger upgrade than nintendo so that point is moot. MS and Sony are upgrading the resolution. The N3ds XL literally stretches the SAME resolution over a bigger screen.
The N3DS has better specs. The add-on from Sony judging by the rumor will only allow 4K for games. So the N3DS sounds like more of an actual upgrade. Since some 1080p games have to run at 30 FPS unless they do something about the CPU the 4K add-on sounds like a bad idea.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Honestly, the 8th console gen has been very underwhelming and it's not a hardware upgrade that's going to make it be any better. It's bad enough I have to cherry pick carefully the games for Wii U but PS4? Just not the 360 of this gen that I was expecting. Too many HD remasters of last-gen games which were also already in HD. As hypocrite as it may be, I'd have been much happier if they remastered Crash Bandicoot 1-3 + CTR in HD with online play support. If consoles keep on going like this then the 8th gen might be my last, or maybe the 9th.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
The N3DS has better specs. The add-on from Sony judging by the rumor will only allow 4K for games. So the N3DS sounds like more of an actual upgrade. Since some 1080p games have to run at 30 FPS unless they do something about the CPU the 4K add-on sounds like a bad idea.
4K support sounds like a stretch to me, seeing as PS4/Xbox can't even do 1080p natively without capping at 30fps. Sure it's playable, but doesn't feel premium.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>Nintendo releases new version of a console with a faster processor and more features
Everyone loves it.
>Sony tries to do the same
Everyone loses their minds.
It's something no company should do. They should suck it up and wait a few more years to start a new generation. I would be kinda iffy is the NX released mid-generation (probably wouldn't sell well).
Just remember, handhelds do not follow the console generation, they are separate.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

>Nintendo releases new version of a console with a faster processor and more features
Everyone loves it.
>Sony tries to do the same
Everyone loses their minds.
Nintendo.. features? Did this fella really use these two words in the same sentence? :O

Reactions: funnystory

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't say I didn't see this coming. After all, both Sony and Microsoft went with the most cynical, most basic upgrade path possible, in much the same way that Nintendo did going from GameCube to Wii.

720p was already a thing back in 2004/05 when the 360 and PS3 were debuting. And it has become easier than ever to find an affordable 4K display in some shape or another. All three console makers should have seen this coming. Instead, we currently have a generation where neither console is even capable of 1080p at 60fps, let alone handling 4K visuals at any settings at all.
this is NOT the 1st time some like this has happened
there was a "ps2.5" (called the PSX, (NOT the ps1))
is was a PS2+DVR and it used the XrossMediaBar
The PSX you refer to didn't have any expanded capabilities for the PS2 portion of the system, unless you want to count the first draft of what we know as the XMB. It didn't grant it any additional horsepower to handle games in a way to make them look any better, as the Graphics Synthesizer chip in the PS2 is infamously bad.

The thing that makes a console special is that enduring factor. The fact that it might be a little out of date when it comes out, but you could count on getting better and better games for at least five years from that launch day investment.

If they try to pull this maneuver and make some kind of "#.5" version of a system now, it would just segregate the market pretty badly. Part of what made the 32X such a commercial failure is that it wouldn't allow those who might only have had a Genesis the ability to at least play a pared down build of the game. Let alone those games that required both the Sega CD and the 32X add-on for only a token improved edition that still wasn't even full screen, let alone having any viably better performance.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo.. features? Did this fella really use these two words in the same sentence? :O

If they do release features often times its features nobody asked for. I am 21 years old I will admit,but I want a normal console that can compete with sony and ms maybe a bit weaker(kinda like gc,ps2,xbox). Still plays all the normal sports games/cods,but also has nintendo exclusives in HD like zelda and mario. It almost seems like nintendo knows it's fans will buy their console regardless to play their exclusives so they cheapen out a little bit. That just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's something no company should do. They should suck it up and wait a few more years to start a new generation. I would be kinda iffy is the NX released mid-generation (probably wouldn't sell well).
Just remember, handhelds do not follow the console generation, they are separate.

Never said they should. It's a stupid practice.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo can get away with this shit because their stuff costs like $150 a pop, but anyone with a PS4 probably isnt going to be too happy to jump on that price again.

Reactions: lytro

koim

Trophies
XP
Country
France
the more I read about it the less I believe.
I don't think people realize the kind of machine it takes to natively have 4k games in a playable state.
The ps4's hardware was well outdated before it even came out but even taking the next generation of gpu there's no way they can fit it in a 400$ console. even a 500$ would be farfetched.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still think this may be a big case of Chinese whispers in that this is just a new "slim" PS4 revision with a revised motherboard and more power efficient and cooler CPU/GPU. And if that's the case it will probably have the PSVR breakout box built in with better located ports for PSVR connectivity. That's probably all it is. If the rumours are true though I personally would be quote pissed if it was a significant upgrade and meant my current PS4 played future games in reduced fidelity.

On the other hand, the side of me that believes these rumours may have some truth to them is that if Microsoft is planning an Xbox One "point five" given the current power gap that gave the PS4 the edge, is that Sony would be forced to do the same or risk losing market share and public image.

It's all a bit strange given the history of game consoles and their lifespans but tech is moving so fast now, especially with VR on the horizon; and expectations are so high that all these rumours don't really surprise me.

If it does happen however, Sony and Microsoft better have some decent plans for introducing these consoles and dealing with the PR and backlash that will happen.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
hot damn, it is too soon to be talking of a next gen Sony console, calm your horses.

but the ,they are working on it is Most Likely true.
but i would give it another 4-6 years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3