PS Vita Hacks and Game Decryption

Major_Tom recently released instructions for decrypting and dumping games right from the PS Vita using the new HENkaku web exploit for 3.60 by team Molecule.

He also details how to run game mods by modifying the files in the redirected space, much like smea's homebrew 3DS app that enables users to change the game content-- meaning fan translations and skin hacks!

Does this mean piracy for Vita is just around the corner? Probably. But in the mean time, we can run homebrew now in Vita hardware space instead of just in PSP Emulated space, giving us access to better hardware for the emulators and homebrew!

:arrow:Source

Jay Clay

Trophies
XP
Country
I think it's nice to hear that. PS Vita is dead. Sorry to say that but it's true.
Most of the games suck and you can see from the sale numbers.... It's a total pain in the ass. It will never beat Nintendo with it's good old Mario games.
I don't think piracy is wrong. Actually it often makes a console better. I don't think that PSP would have so many sales if piracy wouldn't exist.
And not everyone can afford games for 40-50 bucks (including me). Piracy sounds bad but it's actually not.. Please don't call it piracy. It's helpful because you can backup your games without worrying about your CDs. So it's actually pretty nice. I know we should support the developers, but hey.. They've got already their millions and the games are mostly overpriced while they get worse and content less every time.
A new game in 2005: 30$
A new game in 2016: 60-80$
What to expect? And developers wonder why "piracy" is so popular..
How much will we pay in 2020? The price of the console itself?
So please respect piracy until the developers will take care of our needs.
And if you pirate a game and you really enjoy it... Please do me a favor: Buy it! ;)

While I think it's nice to hear we're getting there, I'm pissed off a little bit.
Why? Hackers. This is a part of homebrew that I hate. Destroying good old games. Sad. Please use homebrew smart and don't do stupid things! If you need to cheat, because you want to try something out or want to got further in your game.. Do it! But please do it offline.. This is my only request.

Guys.
I'm out.

Dont get confuse, sales numbers has nothing to do with quality games, yeah you won't have a monster hunter prime game or the last lego adventure (mainstream crap), but it seems like you don't own any vita at all, games like gravity rush, persona 4 gold, jet set radio hd, Odin sphere, freedom wars, umvc3, Hatsune Miku project diva, lumines, etc. are amazing and beautiful games 3ds just can dream about.

Piracy because games are so expensive? well most of the best games on vita are under 20 dl.

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Finally with the recent news it seems like my dream of being able to play DC/PS2/ and 3DS games via the vita might be possible now. And then ofcoure theres the addon of piracy but guys kmon think about the bigger picture.

The best thing about modern gen consoles being hacked is that we get more beautiful people making more beautiful emulators for past gen consoles on them.

So for dc emulation im just guessing we can use existing dc emus like NULLDC and just port them over

but for the 3DS well thatll take a long while since no 100% working emulators exist at the momment.

and then the ps2 emulator well i doubt PCEXC2 could be ported to the vita or maybe it could (probably impossible though)

Guess now we just play the waiting game

Last edited by Abu_Senpai,

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
If the dreamcast emulator alone could be ported to Vita, id buy 20.

If the vita could emulate the ps2, id buy 50.

I think theres 2 types of vita gamers

1. Those who already own the system and have bought games for it and now as the system unlocks itself more to the hackers they'll probably try out the home brew and enjoy it.
2. Those who have been waiting for it to be hacked before they buy it so that they can pirate games on it

I personally fall under the first category but as more stuff becomes available for the vita , i think we will see more vita gamers who fall under the 2nd category.

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't own a Vita, but when it's hacked to run iso's I suppose I would have to check IGN to see if there are even enough Vita games worth playing to warrant buying one. Wonder if a full blown hack with be released before Christmas.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't own a Vita, but when it's hacked to run iso's I suppose I would have to check IGN to see if there are even enough Vita games worth playing to warrant buying one. Wonder if a full blown hack with be released before Christmas.
So many are certain it will be hacked but like cearp says, there are still barriers yet to be overcome

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just want to be able to use my pstv as an emustation

If i can have snes emulation full speed i'll be satiafied

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Major_Tom recently released instructions for decrypting and dumping games right from the PS Vita using the new HENkaku web exploit for 3.60 by team Molecule.

He also details how to run game mods by modifying the files in the redirected space, much like smea's homebrew 3DS app that enables users to change the game content-- meaning fan translations and skin hacks!

Does this mean piracy for Vita is just around the corner? Probably. But in the mean time, we can run homebrew now in Vita hardware space instead of just in PSP Emulated space, giving us access to better hardware for the emulators and homebrew!

:arrow:Source
Time to buy a VITA, this is the PSP all over again.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Dead or no dead (always some chump(s) gonna bitch about something) be thankful with what Henkaku is and what it's done so far. It's better than nothing and having a native Vita entry point to Homebrew is a great job and tbh, I couldn't care less if Vita piracy occurred or not. The titles are cheap and only a handful are worth playing.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I hope this doesn't bite us in the butt. The industry response might be like an immune system in allergy season, if you know what I mean. Then again, maybe Sony will see a spike in Vita sales because of this and perhaps rethink their stance on coexisting with hackers. Bethesda was able to take this route, but then again, they aren't a Japanese company nor do they sell consoles. Yeah, I'm not sure how this'll affect things.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

To be honest, if no one is buying systems, then no one is buying games, also if people are buying systems and still no games, piracy won't change much. People will still not be buying games.

In turn, if you honestly like what people make and do, then buying is the only way to support it. Games get cancelled cause not enough customer support or interest, (Megaman legends 3) And it just what happens. Ultimatly it comes down to people not making dumb decisions to cause catastraphe to the market. Either way is gonna happen.

If there no games to buy cause of not having value then people won't buy it, and piracy won't change that, but will have people think again about making games for the console. The companies will always try and find ways to secure their payment at all times, and customers will always try to get better deals Which evenutally leads to piracy in the end. since it means free.

The tom and jerry tales will never end. Game of cat and mouse will continue to exist until one side wins.

1 People stop making games and consoles causing video game crash again, blaming piracy and hackers.

2 people purchase games and follow the rules of legal owned games and continue paying for games hoping more gets made.
Ubisoft was the biggest and strongest third party supporter on Wii U but after realising no one was buying their games they ultimately gave up completely. Remember, Rayman Legends was supposed to be a Wii U exclusive and Zombi was an exclusive too but Ubisoft's a business so they had to profit off it and that meant making it multiplat.

Problems with each:
Wii U = Owners not buying third party games.
Vita = Sony not supporting their own device in the west.

Reactions: Scarlet

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vita noob here: If I were to buy one of the newer model Vitas, what firmware would it need to be at or below, in order to make use of exploits like this?

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vita noob here: If I were to buy one of the newer model Vitas, what firmware would it need to be at or below, in order to make use of exploits like this?
I think the current firmware is 3.60 so if you want you can just update if its not on it!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So... Vita owners will not be able to pirate the complete catalog of ...30 weeb games?

FTFY

D

Deleted User

This is great news! :D
Definitely looking forward to translating the tens of hundreds of Japanese-only Weeb games! :P (sarcastic statement, btw)

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
now this is the moment I have been waiting for. will this increase PS vita sales or the console has been dead since start? nobody even want to buy it even it's pirate-able... just like wii u

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a lot of uninformed opinions and fanboy rhetoric flying around in this thread. The Vita has definitely failed to impact the mainstream portable gaming scene (3DS/cellphones), likely due to its initial high cost, the incorrect perception that the PSP "lost" the previous handheld generation, and its lack of software titles easily recognizable to 12 year olds.

It's a very powerful, quite elegant system. It has a better touch screen than all but the latest iPhones, an enjoyable OS that is intuitive and practical, and the horsepower to deliver very high quality gaming experiences normally reserved for home consoles. I've owned my OLED Vita for about 18 months and I think it's actually my favourite handheld ever (I'm a handheld addict BTW, I bought an original GameBoy at JP launch and have owned every significant portable gaming machine since). Just being able to enjoy games like FFX HD or Minecraft wherever I want is such a great experience.

It's not without its faults of course, it's a little bulky, storage is proprietary and very expensive (If you're thinking of buying, be sure to include the cost of a 64GB card in your budget) and the games library, whilst of an above average quality, is not diverse enough to attract casual gamers.

As for possible future piracy, it's unlikely to alter the Vita's fortune's significantly, though it might create increased demand for used machines, pushing up the price a little, I'm more excited for high-quality emulation than anything else, I'm still waiting for really playable, portable N64 and Sega Saturn emulation, and I feel the Vita might have the power to do this. Even truly accurate SNES emulation is something to get excited about. I do think it's a little sad when people say "If piracy on Vita is a thing I might finally buy one", but that short-sighted sense of entitlement and naivety about why things cost what they cost is apparently not going away anytime soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious +1