PS1/2 PS2 "phat" doesn't move laser or turn disc after modchip-install

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Back in 2006 I bought a new PS2, SCPH-50004 :) I played it for less then 100 hours because games where expensive for a 16yo schoolgirl back then and the PS2 ended up being in the storage for more then 10 years :mellow:

In 2021 I decided to try making it useful again and installed a Modbo 5.0 modchip :) My soldering experience with small stuff was limited and when doing the "romeo laser fix" I broke pin 17 off the LA6508 instead of lifting it :sad: The DVD was not working anymore then, even the tray didn't open. Because the modchip itself worked, I decided to left the LA6508, bought a network adapter and booted OPL/HDL from USB using the modchip to play games from hard disk.

Now, 2023, I'm a little bit more confident with soldering small stuff (although it's still not good :blush:) and I decided to try fixing the LA6508. I scraped a little bit of the IC housing and had enough copper to solder a wire to it for the 5v :)

The tray now opens again and the laser flashes red for a moment when turning the PS2 on or when a disc is inserted. But it's reads nothing because the laser don't move and the disc spindle never spins :unsure: If I move the laser by hand away from the starting point, it makes noise for 2 seconds at boot-up but not moving the laser. If it was already in the starting position, it stays silent at boot-up.

I already have checked the A, B, G and I points of the modchip. H should be not needed for PAL PS2's.

What can cause these symptoms? Will replacing the LA6508 have a chance to solve this issue? :unsure:

Attachments

• PS2_DVD_not_working.mp4
    5.4 MB

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The laser or spindle not moving can't be an issue with the modchip (or improper install of it), i'd say either the spindle, the laser, or the motor rod are dead, could be just one of them or all.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check if your laser died. Apparently when the LA6508 dies it has a chance of taking out the laser along with it.
https://playstationdev.wiki/ps2devwiki/Motherboards#GH-023

This might have some good information about the LA6508: https://www.psx-place.com/threads/info-about-la6805.29576/

It looks like Ebay sells replacement LA6508 ICs, but they're all outside of the USA and expensive ($20 an IC), so your only alternative is AliExpress where you can get 10 of them for the same price as the Ebay sellers ($20).

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've ordered a LA6508 from Germany (€19,- incl. shipping) which will arrive today or in the upcoming days.

I first ask because I saw that topic on psx-place earlier. That guy replaced the IC and it got worse (PS2 unusable at all) and the problem not solved in the end.

The fuses on the board are all checked with the multimeter and ok.

The DVD drive only played for less then 100 hours and never played backups or any burned disc. I suppose the laser/spindle motors should be ok? It was working before the modchip and breaking the leg of the LA6508.

Even the LA6508 was working before, it only stopped working when I broke pin 17, left it without supply voltage so I suppose it won't burn the laser? Now with pin 17 reconnected the tray works and the laser does turn on red for a flash at bootup. If it flashes, it's not burned?

Last edited by Fien,

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Have you already checked the other pins around the one you broke for continuity / shorts that you can't see? Depending on how exactly you broke it maybe one of the nearby pins also got some damage that isn't easily visible but might be the source of your problems.

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The pins around (15, 16, 18) where bend when I broke 17, but yesterday I soldered them back and checked them with the multimeter, there are no shorts between them.

Moowgly

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The pins around (15, 16, 18) where bend when I broke 17, but yesterday I soldered them back and checked them with the multimeter, there are no shorts between them.
I'm having the same issue here, the laser flashes but won't move. I tempered with the potentiometer though, so maybe the laser is dead? I don't think it's the worm motor, as it was working well before I touched the potentiometer.. Without a multimeter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D