OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,
Gryffen here and its been too long,
I joined quite a long time ago and unfortunately haven't very active but none the less on with the thread.

I have some questions about modding my PS2.
The Model number says SCPH-30001 r and the date code says 1C.

My questions are after some research on Free McBoot are playing my backups of my .Hack// games(The original games have since been burnt by the laser over hundreds of hours of play from my brother and I.), I keep seeing there being issues with Free McBoot running it from hard drive and disks,
Q1: Has anyone else run into freezing/ lack of audio, and just not working with such games.
Q2: If I get a mod chip would it be able to play the games flawlessly.
Q2.5: What mod chips would be good for my PS2 model?

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
Q1
Compatibility differs between HD loading and disc loading. ESR has almost flawless compatibility, with a couple of exceptions. There may be stuttering in pre-rendered video depending on the format you burned the game on and how well you burned it. The only problematic game I've encountered was Klonoa 2 which for some reason flickered during gameplay.

As far as modchips and HD loaders go, I really don't know.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
HD Loading sometimes requires patching or using Compatibility Fixes, what kind of a program are you using for loading? OpenPS2Loader is recommended and has near-perfect compatibility when loading from the HDD, additionally, it allows for SMB loading and USB loading.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
All the games I've tried on OPS2L have worked pretty much straight away. Only had to make a few changes tops in settings before booting. Most problematic games are well documented so you can find the needed settings to get them to work.

Oh, your HDD may affect compatibility in a way, but I've yet to encounter any problems with mine (500 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM, IIRC).

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Apparently the .Hack// games should work ok on the latest Open PS2 Loader. HDloader used to suffer from far more issues in relation to these games such as the audio issues you mention, but OPL boasts a far better compatibility with PS2 gaming. Of course, you've also selected a particularly difficult series to play (dlanor notes that the .Hack games are "extra tricky") but it'd be far more sensible to try the various soft mod options before running down the road of a chip. Perhaps even PCSX2 would be less hassle than finding a good chip and installing it, and then hoping your laser doesn't die.

In most cases an internal IDE in your PS2's HDD bay + OPL will do the trick.

kougerai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you both for your reply,
I have been trying to find a FMCB Memory card,
I am unable to find the supplies to make my own...

I am looking for someone who can make one and ill gladly pay for it.

@xist
I have actually done more research and found FMCB and ESR will actually work and am in the neighborhood of getting an FMCB memory card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU +1